Would you carry a .44spl if you had one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you carry a 5 shot .44spl revolver if you had one?

• Yes, it would be my primary carry gun

Votes: 7 9.3%
    • Yes, occasionally

Votes: 41 54.7%
    • No, there are better rounds for defense

Votes: 9 12.0%
    • No, I wouldn't carry a 5 shot revolver

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Background:
    I have long wanted (over 20 years) to buy a Taurus 431. The one time I won one on Gunbroker (around 20 years ago), I didn't make much money and just after my bid I had a huge unexpected expense and worked out with the seller that I could cancel the sale by paying the Gunbroker fees (the gun was only $200 something at the time). Since then, I was often hesitant to pull the trigger when the prices had doubled, and when I got used to the higher prices I just had other priorities. Well, lately I've been revamping my collection, selling some guns I don't really want (some didn't really fit what I bought them for, others were cheaper guns than what I wanted for a particular niche, others I just stopped shooting/liking so much) and buying guns I always wanted but never bought. I recently won a Gunbroker auction for a 2.5" Taurus 431 (it should be at my FFL any day now).

So, I now have a .44spl. It is a good carry size (K-frame sized 2.5" barrel), though not for everyday carry. However, most .44 cal hollow points are designed around the .44mag. Unlike .38 vs. .357 where there is enough of a .38spl defensive market to develop separate bullets that are optimized for both sets of velocities, many/most .44 cal bullets are not. So, many .44spl hollow points do not open up and can have issues with over penetration.

On to the questions...

As the title says, if you have a .44spl, would you carry it? Would you use it for home defense? If you would, what round would you use?

Pros:
    -I like a larger bore and low pressure round, especially for home defense. The lower noise level (even if marginal) may do a little less hearing damage if shot in a defensive situation without hearing protection, while still having the potential of being relatively effective.
    -Now that I can carry everyday, I'm finding that I like carrying a revolver more than I thought I would and often find myself with my Taurus 85CH, Taurus 856 or Colt King Cobra and sometimes two of them at a time. A larger bore addition would be nice.
    -I bought it because I wanted one for years, not specifically to use as a carry gun (I have quite a few options). However, it first caught my eye (20+ years ago) as a potential carry and home defense gun.
    -It is a little different. OK, that maybe isn't a good rational reason to carry it, but sometimes just wanting to pick something a little different is enough for every now and then (though not for everyday).
    -As a .44cal, even if hollow points don't expand, it would still create a reasonable sized hole (comparable to some of the lesser 9mm JHPs when they expand).
    -When I'm in the mood to carry a big bore revolver, it is much smaller than my N-frame S&W 625 Mountain Gun.

Cons:
    -A lot of the positive changes in ammo development seem to have missed .44spl which seems to be seen by the ammo manufacturers as mainly a "cowboy" caliber and defensive uses are at best an afterthought.
    -If a hollow point doesn't expand, over penetration is a concern (especially when used for home defense or in close quarters).
    -It doesn't really do anything that my .45LC can't do (and there has been some development of defensive rounds in that caliber).
    -A K-frame sized gun is a little on the large size for carry, especially for a gun that only has a 5 round capacity.
    -This is my first 2.5" K-frame sized gun so I don't have a holster for it, adding to my costs (in the past, all the K-frames I've owned have been 3" or 4" and the only one I currently have is a 3").

Ammo:
    For ammo, since there is a good chance that hollow points won't expand, I was thinking about Underwood Extreme Defenders, but I don't see a lot of tests to reassure me that over penetration won't be an issue. I have seen some testing that suggests that Hornady Critical Defense (FTX) rounds will reliably expand, but they just barely meet FBI standards for minimum penetration. I was thinking about going old school for an old school revolver: Buffalo Bore or Underwood make some old fashioned lead SWCHP, and also some hot loaded wadcutters and SWC. However, I am a bit concerned about over penetration with those rounds. Even with target loaded SWC that many companies make, without an expanding bullet, I'm a bit worried that it may penetrate too much.​

Last edited:

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Home defense. Why not a semi-automatic 10mm or .45 ACP with a rail for a laser/light? A 5-shot .44 revolver doesn't offer these options, nor does it offer the selection of off-the-shelf ammunition as 10mm or .45, nor does it offer the same capacity.

An HK 45c or a SigP220 or Glock 21, any of those would offer more features and capacity and more cartridge options. All are proven performers.

.44 SPL is expensive and in short supply and rare to find. >$1.00/round.

If you just want to buy and have a .44 Mag/Spl, fine. A heavier 6-shot N-frame would be easier to practice with, less kick.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Bullet placement is so much more important than bullet performance. A bullet either meets the FBI criteria or it doesn’t, “barely meeting it” is meeting it. A .44 spl is perfectly suited to defend yourself. Don’t overthink things, spend that time and energy practicing. Enjoy your new gun.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Note that OP just bought a 44 Special revolver.

Reloading might be the way to go with the 44 Special.

There are several very interesting reloading articles by Brian Pierce. In those he calls out three different tiers of 44 Special pressure levels. Category 1 is held to 15.5K, Category 2 is 22K and Category 3 is 25 K.

There were some weak old guns that keep factory 44 special pressures down. Modern guns can take more but you're on your own.

If you are not interested in reloading Underwood has a 190 grain soft cast lead hollow point that they spec at 1150 FPS. That is surely going to open up. Currently out of stock. I have a couple of boxes of those or something similar around here somewhere.

I reload 44 Special for my Uberti Cattleman. I have loads that duplicate the recoil of the Underwood ammo.

Buffalo Bore has similar heavy loadings to the Underwood offerings. They are explicitly listed as suitable for all modern guns except Charter Arms. They are hideously expensive at $53 for a box of 20 rounds.

Fiocchi lists a 200 grain jacketed hollow point at 900 FPS.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have a 5-shot .44 Special BullDog that I like and shoot well. The .44 Special ballistics are very similar to the .45 ACP.

I carried it a lot as my self defense gun, but stopped using it for home defense due to the limited round count vs the potential for multiple problems.

I found myself sitting in my dark stairway at 3am, waiting for the three intruders I just saw out back to breach the back door at the foot of the stairs. During the 10-15 minutes I sat there waiting, thinking they would burst in any second, I came to the conclusion that only 5 rounds for 3 problems was clearly not enough and that the speedloader I had in my pocket would not be nearly fast enough to be useful.

Luckily, they never came in. Eventually getting antsy and going window-to-window, I could not locate them again after my first sightings. Turns out, the intruders were after the plumbing and wiring in a vacant house next door and that's where they had disappeared to.

I retired the .44 from its home defense role that night and went to ARs with 20 round mags as primaries for HD. I also keep a full-size, full-capacity semi-auto 9mm handgun near the bed, but the AR is primary.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Carry gun yes. Home defense no. Carry guns are compromise of what i want and what im willing to carry. Home defense, not so much.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    No on the carry for personal protection, and especially no on the home defense. I use a shotgun for home defense.

Attachments

• 6CA57EC2-02C1-4F10-89A7-95EDC2703C15.jpeg
      6CA57EC2-02C1-4F10-89A7-95EDC2703C15.jpeg
      332 KB · Views: 74

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    From 0 - 25 Yards, can you consistently a 10" paper plate with all 5 shots? 4 out 5 most of the time?

Big Bore Revolvers are Great for Extreme Cold Weather with adversaries puffed up with multiple layers of clothing and heavy outer garmets

Then Why the Fuch Not?

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I've also ordered a Charter Arms Bulldog for carry.

I'm just not a big fan of micro 9's and Fiocchi 200gr SJHP is a very accurate, soft-shooting defense load that, like EShell said, nearly duplicates .45 ACP performance.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Home defense. Why not a semi-automatic 10mm or .45 ACP with a rail for a laser/light? A 5-shot .44 revolver doesn't offer these options, nor does it offer the selection of off-the-shelf ammunition as 10mm or .45, nor does it offer the same capacity.

I have a few guns that I use for carry, and similarly I have a few loaded for home defense.

At any time, the two guns I most recently carried are in quick access safes for home defense (and I carry them at home until I go to bed). I also have a bigger quick access safe for a gun I keep loaded for home defense. Currently, I have a Glock 19 set up, I recently carried it and put it in my home defense safe when I packed up for the night. However, I typically use a .45ACP (I recently retired my .45ACP SIG P250 Compact, I just don't like it). I recently (this weekend) got a Dan Wesson Heritage 1911 that will take this role once I get another 150-200 rounds through it (so far it went through 50 FMJ and 100 JHP without trouble). I also use my 625MG when I want to use a revolver, and if I use the 431 in this role it will alternate with the 625 and Dan Wesson.

I prefer a hand held light (I have a nice SureFire GX2) to a weapons mounted light. I use the light to identify my target, I don't point a loaded gun at anything I'm not ready to destroy, so I don't want to have to point my gun at something/someone to identify if it is a target or not. I've thought about a laser, and if I decide to get one I can always go with the Crimson Trace laser grips (I have one on my LCP). However, I've been practicing a lot lately and, while I do have a lot of room for improvement, I'm pretty confident in my abilities at self defense distances (last weekend when I went to the range, the woman next to me asked me for pointers, yesterday the guy next to me left at the same time as me and complimented me on my shooting - it seems most people are impressed when you can hit mostly in the X and all your shots are within the 9 ring or better at 20 and 25 yards with a handgun, I want to do better, but I'm exactly where I want to be at 15 yards and under). For night shooting, I've been practicing point shooting at shorter self-defense distances as well. I may do a laser (it can be helpful even for good shooters, and I do have a long way to go to get to where I want to be in my accuracy), but I'm concerned about developing bad habits (focusing on the target instead of the front sight).

Last edited:

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    From 0 - 25 Yards, can you consistently a 10" paper plate with all 5 shots?

Then Why the Fuch Not?
    With the 431, no idea yet (it hasn't made it to my FFL yet, probably tomorrow or Tues). Yesterday with my PCR, 9mm Springfield Armory Garrison, and Dan Wesson Heritage (.45ACP), all my shots were in the 9 circle or better at 20 and 25 yards.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Looking at a couple of gel test videos Hornady Critical Defense 165gr did pretty well out of a 4.25" barrel. Fiocchi didn't expand at all.
    SGAmmo has some in stock.
    I've never tried it myself.
    Good luck.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    An HK 45c or a SigP220 or Glock 21, any of those would offer more features and capacity and more cartridge options. All are proven performers.
    All those are guns I recently considered when shopping for a new primary home defense pistol (a .45ACP pistol has long been my main HD gun). I decided on another 1911 (full sized steel instead of my lightweight S&W 1911SC or my Officer sized RIA).

Bullet placement is so much more important than bullet performance. A bullet either meets the FBI criteria or it doesn’t, “barely meeting it” is meeting it. A .44 spl is perfectly suited to defend yourself. Don’t overthink things, spend that time and energy practicing. Enjoy your new gun.
    True, if it meets the minimum, it meets the minimum. I would feel better if there were more ballistics tests available to be sure it is consistently hitting at least the minimum, but not many people seem to test .44spl.

Reloading might be the way to go with the 44 Special.
    I already reload .357mag, .45LC and sometimes .38spl and I don't really enjoy reloading like many who reload do (I only do it for cost savings). I also only do it for fun/target loads. I want to use something for defense that I can find tests to see how it has performed, and I don't have anywhere I can do my own gel testing.

If you are not interested in reloading Underwood has a 190 grain soft cast lead hollow point that they spec at 1150 FPS. That is surely going to open up.
    I'm strongly considering that or the Buffalo Bore version. Though, I'd be happier if there were more gel tests on them. In .44 or .45 caliber rounds, I'm more concerned about over penetration in a defensive gun than I am expansion (I want the expansion to help slow it so it doesn't over penetrate, not so much to add to its effectiveness like in .38 or 9mm, though increased effectiveness is nice).

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I like a revolver, am fine with a 38 J-frame but a larger caliber/low pressure round like 44SPC or 45LC is also a solid option. I would likely go with soft LSWC, and since I reload that is what I have done. May not expand, but isn't going to get smaller.

A gain with a revolver is you can try some of the $$/boutique ammo and not have to buy as much to ensure reliability, etc due to the revolver design vs a semi-auto.

44SPC can benefit from reloading also as there are 3 categories of pressure guns in that caliber. I would assume the Taurus is in the middle one (top one is Rugers, Freedom Arms, etc) which is several 1000psi higher than the first category which is old guns. Most ammo makers load for the weakest option out there to keep folks from blowing up stuff.

Carry it and enjoy it! :-)

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I carried it a lot as my self defense gun, but stopped using it for home defense due to the limited round count vs the potential for multiple problems.

Carry gun yes. Home defense no. Carry guns are compromise of what i want and what im willing to carry. Home defense, not so much.

For carry, I am concerned about capacity (why I often carry two of them when I carry a revolver). For home defense handguns, a bit less so. For carry I usually only have one gun on me, sometimes two. For home defense, I have my carry guns on me or (after bed) in a quick access safe by my bed so they are back up home defense guns. I have a bigger quick access safe by my bed for my home defense guns, and it is big enough for both the .45ACP pistol and the revolver I set up for home defense. So I can easily have the gun I'm using and a backup. Then, if I have the time (either it takes a while for the intruders to break in, or I buy the time with the handgun), I will go to my main gun safe to get out my defensive carbine (I used to use an AR, now I prefer my Mini-14 for home defense).

No on the carry for personal protection, and especially no on the home defense. I use a shotgun for home defense.
    I used to use a shotgun for HD (first a Mossberg 500, later a Benelli Nova), but I much prefer a .223/5.56 carbine.

Looking at a couple of gel test videos Hornady Critical Defense 165gr did pretty well out of a 4.25" barrel.

Partially due to what is currently available, and partly because it looks like it may be one of the the most effective .44spl options anyway, that is high on the list if I decide to use this gun for more than a range toy.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    To a Big Bore Revolver

What's the difference between these two pictures?

th-3707016474.jpg
    th-2499803558.jpg

Nothing because you're not going to stop shooting until you convinced either one that they're Dead

The Brown one may have extra sub layers of Fat, Muscle and Gristle

The Blue one may have extra layers of cotton, wool, denim, leather or fat

Last edited:

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    I have a few guns that I use for carry, and similarly I have a few loaded for home defense.

At any time, the two guns I most recently carried are in quick access safes for home defense (and I carry them at home until I go to bed). I also have a bigger quick access safe for a gun I keep loaded for home defense. Currently, I have a Glock 19 set up, I recently carried it and put it in my home defense safe when I packed up for the night. However, I typically use a .45ACP (I recently retired my .45ACP SIG P250 Compact, I just don't like it). I recently (this weekend) got a Dan Wesson Heritage 1911 that will take this role once I get another 150-200 rounds through it (so far it went through 50 FMJ and 100 JHP without trouble). I also use my 625MG when I want to use a revolver, and if I use the 431 in this role it will alternate with the 625 and Dan Wesson.

I prefer a hand held light (I have a nice SureFire GX2) to a weapons mounted light. I use the light to identify my target, I don't point a loaded gun at anything I'm not ready to destroy, so I don't want to have to point my gun at something/someone to identify if it is a target or not. I've thought about a laser, and if I decide to get one I can always go with the Crimson Trace laser grips (I have one on my LCP). However, I've been practicing a lot lately and, while I do have a lot of room for improvement, I'm pretty confident in my abilities at self defense distances (last weekend when I went to the range, the woman next to me asked me for pointers, yesterday the guy next to me left at the same time as me and complimented me on my shooting - it seems most people are impressed when you can hit mostly in the X and all your shots are within the 9 ring or better at 20 and 25 yards with a handgun, I want to do better, but I'm exactly where I want to be at 15 yards and under). For night shooting, I've been practicing point shooting at shorter self-defense distances as well. I may do a laser (it can be helpful even for good shooters, and I do have a long way to go to get to where I want to be in my accuracy), but I'm concerned about developing bad habits (focusing on the target instead of the front sight).
    I get your concern about light on the gun. We can always suggest trigger discipline, and nothing says you can't have both a flashlight and a gun light.

E. Shell mentioned sitting on stairs waiting. The home defense requirement also includes middle-of-the night break-ins by surprise (you have to sleep sometime). Gun and light together offers some advantage when time does not favor you. Maybe grabbing your cellphone in your off hand is better. Maybe pocketing the phone and getting a flashlight is better. Lots of possibilities.

.45 is more available, easier to practice with affordably, with lots of market options in weapons.

If you want the .44 for home defense, the options are fewer, both in firearm, capacity and accessories. To just have it for the pleasure of shooting it and practicing with it is a good enough reason to buy it without burdening yourself with making it your choice for home defense.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    This combo will end a street fight, especially if you're throwing a version of Speer's 44 SPC 200gr Flying Ashtray at your adversary.

You load Buffalo Bore in your wheel then the odds are in your favor that Yogi ain't stealing your pinic basket or catch of the day

bulldog44_CCI_7445web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom