• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Moved into a new house this past spring... The basement is fully finished with the exception of a small work room, that I have now claimed as my gun room. its maybe 8'x12'. It had a nice work bench made of 2x4's and decent enough cabinets and lighting already installed. The top of the bench is also 2x4s. I would like something to put over top of the wood that will be even, non-absorbant and durable. I was thinking something along the lines of what they sell for the tops of toolboxes.

Right now i just have a few gun cleaning mats up there, and it works good enough... like something that I could cut to fit and cover the whole surface with no seams.

Any ideas?

IMAG0298.jpg

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I used the white laminate board sold at Home Depot for my new work bench. Is is 3/4 thick particle board laminated on both sides with white formica. Is is smooth, flat and won't absorb anything. I roll out rubber mats if I need a soft non-skid surface.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Mythbusters just did an episode on truck bed liner, which turned out to be surprisingly tough. It may be a little too rough, however.

Bryan

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    EPDM rubber roofing material. theres a place in baltimore called gummer slate that will sell it to you in the exact size you need if they have a piece big enough to cut down. their number is 410-235-1288. ask for josh

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    How much do you want to spend?

You could go to a metal shop and get a piece of 16 ga stainless cut to fit the top or you could pop the 2x4's off and put a solid core door on it with a coat of polyurathane to seal it

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    EPDM rubber roofing material. theres a place in baltimore called gummer slate that will sell it to you in the exact size you need if they have a piece big enough to cut down. their number is 410-235-1288. ask for josh

also their hours are 8 am - 3:30 pm mon -fri

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    could look into a drawing board cover
    its a @ 1/8" or so an rubber
    can be had in rolls

I have googled all the suggestions so far, and this is the most promissing. Went to cuttingmats.net... little pricey, but I like the grid unerlayment.

ravens52

Mar 8, 2011
    Millersville, MD
    Sears has 6' or 8' work bench tops in stainless steel, butcher block and another material I can't recall. I got the 6' buther block for $109.00. It's 1 1/2" thick.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    Get a 4x8 sheet of galvanized sheet metal from your local heating and air conditioning supply store.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011

Is this stuff basically rubber sheeting that is on a roll? If so, do you happen to know the thickness?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I used the white laminate board sold at Home Depot for my new work bench. Is is 3/4 thick particle board laminated on both sides with white formica. Is is smooth, flat and won't absorb anything. I roll out rubber mats if I need a soft non-skid surface.

It's called Melamine. :lol2: Pernounced Mel-a-Mean.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks! I didnt do much except add the guns and gun related stuff. The bench and cabinets were already there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom