• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClimberChris

Feb 11, 2014
    Are there any woman friendly clubs in the Frederick area?

My SO and I have been going out to "a club" weekly for about a month now to shoot and their general attitude towards women is disturbing at best. Guys will be guys and we both understand that, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. The president of this club would make comments about other women on the line while they were shooting like he was Joe Buck announcing on Sunday's night's game. He would say things "She has a lot of junk in her trunk" and "I like the skinny one because they only get fatter". These girls were probably in the 17 - 21yo range at most and they didn't even try to hide what they were saying. The regulars make a lot of sexually suggestive comments to any woman who shows up and it has really given my SO a negative view of the sport so far. She no longer feels comfortable at this range and I really don't want her to get discouraged from shooting so we are looking to try a new club.

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Are there any woman friendly clubs in the Frederick area?

My fiancee and I have been going out to "a club" weekly for about a month now to shoot and their general attitude towards women is disturbing at best. Guys will be guys and we both understand that, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. The president of this club would make comments about other women on the line while they were shooting like he was Joe Buck announcing on Sunday's night's game. He would say things "She has a lot of junk in her trunk" and "I like the skinny one because they only get fatter". These girls were probably in the 17 - 21yo range at most and they didn't even try to hide what they were saying. The regulars make a lot of sexually suggestive comments to any woman who shows up and it has really given my fiancee a negative view of the sport so far. She no longer feels comfortable at this range and I really don't want her to get discouraged from shooting so we are looking to try a new club.
    Joe Buck? :D

joebuck.jpg

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club (www.monumnetal.org) has a women's division. We meet at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore 11518 Marriottsville Rd, Marriottsvile MD (www.associatedgunclubs.org). Depending on where you are in Frederick, it is about a 30 minute drive. Nice facility and great people no matter what club you join.

If you are looking for information about the Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club women's division, please contact Patty Skryja-West ( mrpc_women@monumental.org or club_instructor@monumental.org or pskryja here on MDS). Patty is also our club instructor so I think it goes without saying we are open to women shooters no matter what the skill level! We also sponsor the NRA Women On Target clinics at the AGC.

Did you try the Isaak Walton League #1 Frederick? They had a fair contingent of women shooters the last time I was there.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You will not have this problem at the AGC.
    It sounds like the president of that club is just an A**hole. If he would say things like that about one of my daughters, we would have a problem.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Wow, that sucks. Have you tried Monocacy Pistol Club? I am a member there and although women are a distinct minority amongst the membership we do have women members. One of the club officers is a woman. My wife has shot there and I've never seen any behavior like that. The club is private, but all matches are open to the public.

ClimberChris

Feb 11, 2014
    Wow, Thanks for all of the information guys! I think we are going to try IWLA this week during their open trap shoot. From everything I have read and seen, they seem like a really good option for us. For those interested in what club it was, I PM'd you.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Wow, Thanks for all of the information guys! I think we are going to try IWLA this week during their open trap shoot. From everything I have read and seen, they seem like a really good option for us. For those interested in what club it was, I PM'd you.

I believe the Mt. airy IWLA has open trap, but the Frederick IWLA (on Reels Mill Rd.) doesn't yet have a shotgun facility. We DO however have a fair number of women members, and also hold several ladies-only Basic Pistol classes in addition to a huge number of firearms classes during the year. Our next membership meeting, at which visitors are welcome, is Tuesday, May 13. PM me if you have any questions or are interested in visiting.

Nkray

Dec 5, 2011
    My husband and I go to AGC in Marriotsville, I have never had any problems there and feel very comfortable there. I always see lots of other women as well. I do believe they offer all sorts of classes as well, some designated especially for women. Good luck in your search :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom