• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    OP, this is how my layering system goes, and I am rarely cold nowadays. This is what I use when it is below 40 degrees outside. Above 40 degrees and I leave a lot of it off:

1st layer: Underarmor Coldgear both top and bottom.
    2nd layer: Carhart jeans and Cabela's fleece crewneck
    3rd layer: Columbia parka and bibs for waterfowling and coveralls for deer hunting.

If it is crazy cold, I will wear a sweater on top of the Cabela's fleece.

Boots: 800 gr Thinsulate Rocky Boots if I will be walking a lot (and if I will be walking a lot less clothing).

1,200 gr. Thinsulate Rocky pack boots with their own reflective bootie if I am going to be sitting in a blind or on a stand.

Insulated waders if I am going to be going in the water.

Socks: Redhead thermal socks with a lifetime warranty. Pretty much the only reason I will be going back to Redhead is to exchange them when they wear out.

Gloves: Mechanix wear on my right hand for the trigger and Cabela's goretex on the left hand. Usually put a chemical hand warmer in my right pocket to keep that hand warm with the thin glove on it.

Head/Face: Full face mask.

If needed: Chemical hand, toe, and foot warmers, but have not used much of them lately.

There have been days in the blind in December, January, and February where I actually have taken off the parka because I was too hot.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Polypropylene is a great baser layer and I used it for years. I have, however, began using the Under Armour brand. The like the compression bottoms and the tops that are cold gear with mock neck, but not compression. I use a couple different shirts, but always a button up. If I start to get warm, I can always unbutton my shirt to expose the Under Armour or Polypropylene so it can do it's job wicking away moisture. I have muck boots for wet areas, 400 gram boots for cool but not cold weather and Kaufman Sorrel Boots with removable 3/8" thick wool felt liners for very cold or sitting on stand in cool weather. My coat is a Remington system type coat with a removable vest and zip-open areas on the outer layer for wearing just the outer. That coat is camo for multipurpose use and I use an Blaze vest over what ever layers I happen to be wearing. I never wear all my cold weather layers when walking in. Most go into a day pack I have. After I'm in the stand, settled, and somewhat cooled down, I'll put on the layers I think I'll need putting my oversized blaze back over on whatever I'm wearing on stand. I carry a balaclava to cover my neck, lower face and can be worn over your head like a hood. I keep a Blaze baseball type cap for not so cold days and either an insulated Jones Style hat (with ear protection) or sometimes one of the stretch knit hats to cover head and ears. For gloves, I have virgin wool gloves for cool - cold days and some heavier thinsulate gloves for really cold days. I rarely use hand warmers, but I usually do carry several of the reusable warmers. On really cold days those sucker don't just get warm, but HOT! There was a time or 2 (or more) when temps wer under 10 degrees or the damn wind was blowing hard behind 20 degress when I'd tuck 2 in my boots and 2 in my shirt pockets to help keep me warm. Only catch to these is you have to boil them to regenerate them and they are somewhat bulkier and more expensive than the older style warmers, BUT reusable. If you really worry about the cold, they have some larger ones to wrap around your back (my wife uses them when her back is giving her fits) although those larger sizes are more bulky yet. One more thing: the heat from these only stays hot for 30 minutes although they will continue to be warm for an hour - hour and a half. In a goose blind when extra cold, we have been know to use a portable Mr Heater catalyst type heater to warm our hands. Jon E Warmers (have one from 40 years ago) and Zippo warmers slow burn lighter fluid and are OK for fishing or Goose Blind, but have some odor that you wouldn't want to have when deer hunting.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    -@Chris I've been looking into oiled canvas (AKA Oilskin?) for a couple years but haven't pulled the trigger on buying something yet since it's expensive and I've never actually seen someone using it in person. But I'm also a proponent of buying a piece of quality gear that will last a lifetime rather than replacing stuff that wears out every few years. Can you suggest any particular brands that you've liked? I've got an Outback brand oilskin hat that I love and wear when fishing or duck hunting from a blind. I recently saw this in a store and almost bought it http://www.outbacktrading.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=567

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em coming!

I found a lot of my hunting coats and pants on eBay over the years. Used sometimes at a 10th of the price new. Since I was hunting with them and not going to the prom, if dirty I would dry clean (sometimes) then oil again or a couple of times I sent them of for oiling/waxing by a pro. I'm shorter so if pant bottoms were frayed I would cut them to fit me (looked like new to me). Outback Trading Co has an outlet store in Oxford Pa. about 10 miles over the line. I'd call to make sure of their stock before making the trek. Chris

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I have to say by far the BEST boots I have EVER had are my Muck boots. I have been out in 2' of snow all day long with just a good pair of wool socks on and my feet never got cold. The upper poly of the boot, seals against your pants and keeps the heat in and they're waterproof to boot!!!! So you don't have to take 2 pairs of boots to have dry feet. $99.00 at TSC.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    This is my first year back deer hunting in about 30+ years and the info in this ONE thread is proving to be INVALUABLE. At least to me. Granted I will be using a ground blind but all the info is fantastic.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've began using the thermacare packs to keep the core temperature up….great supplement for the hot-hands/feet product.

My wife, a pharmacist, put one of those things on my back when I had some significant back pain, and it felt OH SO GOOD. That is a good idea for those really cold days. I knew about the product, but just never occurred to me to use it in this way. I learned something new today. Thanks.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    Nobody else wears fur hats?

My grandfather has a bunny fur Ushanka type hat that was dyed blaze orange. I've got to get that from him now that he's out of the woods. That thing is warm and helps meet my blaze requirement. Love it.

When I'm moving in the woods or hoofing it to my stand I have a blaze UA watchcap or my blaze bandana though.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I think as long as you got a nice windproof most outer layer than anything inside is whatever is around the house. hand, feet, and body warmers also help in cold days in the woods, for me. rabbit fur hats with ear flaps are a must.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've become a big fan of Smart Wool under layers. Wear their socks year round. Stuff doesn't itch and doesn't hold odors. Much warmer than any UA stuff I've seen.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Cabelas is having a winter weather clothing sale right now.

Looking for heavyweight or polarweight base layers? Cabelas has them in the bargain cave.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Hey,

I'm going to bump this thread back up because a lot of the retailers and sellers on ebay have some really good end of season sales. This is one of the best times of year to get winter clothing.

I'm thinking about finally breaking down and pickup up a modern, down/goretex hunting jacket and bib set. I'm thinking about either Sitka (either the Fanatic or Incinerator line) or Cabellas MT050, or something similar. The stuff is very pricey but I think you get what you pay for. I'd like something that will last me a decade or more.

Do any of you have experience hunting in cold weather with these? I hunt in lowland Maryland as well as at 3,000+ elevation in the Allegheny Mountains in Western VA/West Virginia, so I'm looking for something that will keep me in the stand all day even if it's 10 degrees and windy. Basically, I've already got some great stuff (Duluth wool blanket shirt, long johns and army BDU pants) for fall temperatures--I need something that will help me when it's bitter out.

Discuss...

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Good thread.

I like underarmour stuff as well. I have a one piece if I had to use it but it becomes hot and cumbersome, so then I had a 10X brand jacket that does well for my upper body.

I hunt in Maine sometimes and that is what I wore up there last year, and with a ton of walking the jacket with a pair of Gander mountain insulated pants over top of long underwear and regular heavy cabela's pants, I did fine.

This year, I bought an Underarmour Cold Gear Infrared jacket (that they don't seem to show anymore on the website). This is a superb jacket. Quiet and has great pockets including a spot for kidney warmers. It is important to me to have a functional jacket. And not just for pockets, but it allow a full range of motion for bowhunting. I also bought some UA charged merino wool base layer bottoms. For socks, I wear some ski socks that are poly/wool blend and I also wear regular cotton socks until my feet get cold then switch them out. I wear a t shirt on the inside, followed by a UA infrared 1/4 zip and then a heavy Woolrich button down up top.

My Lacrosse boots are thinsulate, 800g (I think), and they have been perfect whether I am walking five or more miles in Maine or sitting all day in a deer stand in MD.
    For gloves, I wear a lightweight shooting glove and carry a pair of heavier goretex glove in my backpack along with plenty of instant hand warmers should I need them. I rarely do. Finally a hat is key to trapping the warmth. I don't like to have my ears covered when hunting.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I caught an end-of-season sale and invested in some modern equipment, the Sitka Incinerator suit and a Sitka Fanatic jacket. I'll add the bibs to the Fanatic Jacket if I can ever find them in my size.

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/whitetail/jackets-vests/fanatic-jacket

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/whitetail/jackets-vests/incinerator-jacket

It is amazing. It is extremely expensive. As long as it will last me 10 hunting seasons as I hope, it is worth it. ...I think. Time will tell. But I can say that these appear to be extremely well made and smartly designed. In short, all the big bold claims in their ads appear to be true. I haven't taken the stuff hunting yet but I was out in the cold and snow yesterday and couldn't have been more comfortable. Tonight when it gets down to the single digits with a steady wind, I'm going to go sit still outside for a little while to see how it feels. After all, I can still return them!

The Incinerator suit is a 700 gram down jacket with bibs. The claim is it's basically good for tree stand hunting in very cold weather, down to 0 degrees or so. Right now the coldest it gets where I hunt in the mountains in VA is about 10 degrees, so this is perfect for me.

The Fanatic is synthetic. It's probably good to 20 degrees or so if still hunting. Probably more like 30 if tree stand hunting. They are phasing out this sort of version 1.0 of the fanatic, so now is a good time to catch a sale. I wasn't able to find bibs in my size (large) to go with it. If you have some to sell, let me know! The fanatic is going to be my October bow season and November gun season when it isn't too cold jacket.

The incinerator is goign to be my November mountain cold hunts and any other cold weather hunts or other activities. If the damn Redskins make it to the playoffs this year and there is a cold weather game, you can bet I'll be in the stands in my incinerator suit! But don't worry, that won't happen. Haha.

Yes, I spent a lot of money on these things but I think with this kind of stuff you really do pay for what you get. I go deer hunting 15-20 times/season and duck hunting 5 or so times, so for me it was worth it. I'd go hunting every day if I didn't have to work to buy gear! Haha. As others have pointed out, if you hunt for a couple hours in the evening or in the morning and don't venture more than 500 yards from your vehicle, don't buy this kind of thing. But if you're like me and aim to stay in the stand all day in all weather, it might be worth saving for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom