• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Why as a matter of fact, I did. Hope this meets with your approval Zeiss NVS, an IR designator is also attached on the other side. Caliber is .300 AAC BLKOUT, not obvious, but the flash-hider for mounting my Gemtech QD suppressor is also attached.

Were they out of big ones?

You'll need a football duct taped to the stock to get a good cheek weld. :D

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I would like someone to show me a AR15 stripped lower receiver that can be bought that is stamped HBAR and purchased without a 77R. I don't think it exists. So those people saying "depends on what kind of lower" may be misguided.

Brother my manufacturer is looking into just that - a lower engraved with "H-Bar Match Rifle" or something to that effect and also engraving "Cal-.22LR" for the dedicated 22 rifles. Gotta make sure its not gray area first - but people are looking out for us here, they just have to stay between the navigational beckons.

I'm just a wholesaler not a lawyer but I see no reason why the engraved intended build outcome on a lower lower receiver is anything but fine. But again that's why there's lawyers that can better understand all the "tom-fooling" ambiguous language in that damned bill.

I'll post more when I can.

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    so in order to "cover" yourself, If you already have a complete AR, couldn't you take your upper and pop it onto the stripped lower and take a pic or vid with a date/time stamp? Wouldn't that convert it from a regular stripped lower into a scary "complete" rifle? So as long as that is done prior to Oct. 1 it was a complete rifle prior to the ban date and is grandfathered in. :innocent0

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So we're still good to go with the HBAR's? No laws concerning them?
    Hell this really isn't THAT bad. It's still crappy tho.

It's HORRIBLE. They never stop trying to take our guns. NEVER. This is just another small incremental step in their never ending quest to take away your rights.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    so in order to "cover" yourself, If you already have a complete AR, couldn't you take your upper and pop it onto the stripped lower and take a pic or vid with a date/time stamp? Wouldn't that convert it from a regular stripped lower into a scary "complete" rifle? So as long as that is done prior to Oct. 1 it was a complete rifle prior to the ban date and is grandfathered in. :innocent0

How about paying a friendly dealer to log it in for service, and run a snake through the barrel? (if that's how svc is done.)

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Nice story, but it's not how the law is currently interpreted by the MSP. Any HBAR rifle is considered non-regulated right now because that whole "copies" bit also applies to the HBAR exemption under their interpretation. See what I mean about how MSP interpretation counts for so much?

How the law is current interpreted, and how it's about to be are two distinct things.

The words in the law says "Colt AR-15 Sporter."

Sickrick

Jan 2, 2013
    Ok so I have a completed lower and was debating buy another lower or complete what I have.. If I buy another lower will I be able to buy the uppers after oct 1

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    How about paying a friendly dealer to log it in for service, and run a snake through the barrel? (if that's how svc is done.)

If it's left overnight, it will be on the books. If you come in for "while you wait" service, the FFL does not have to book it in, but may at their discretion.

The federal books only require you to list the make, model, caliber and type of weapon (rifle/shotgun/pistol/revolver/SBS/SBR/MG/Suppressor/AOW) and has no distinction for "HBAR" unless they write that in the model.

For instance an entry would look like this:

Colt | M4 Carbine | SN123*** | 5.56 NATO | Rifle | John Doe | 123 Any Street, Notown, USA 01234

They could squeeze in "HBAR" underneath M4 Carbine, but if anyone were ever looking for this information, they would have to dig up the dealer's repair books. And the "model" field is pretty vague anyway, you can practically write anything you want. If you show up with a SIG "P226 Equinox SAS Tactical Practical Pro Shop Extravaganza" they can just write "226" and be fine. I don't think having a dealer book it in would be an effective way to "prove" you had an HBAR before a certain date.

Add in the fact that you can book in a gun on someone's behalf as long as you can legally possess it... I bet it wouldn't hold up in court if it ever got there.

bmelton

Jan 23, 2013
    So, at the risk of repeating myself, that's what they've done in California.

In Harrott v. County of Kings, the CA Supreme Court determined that banning "all AR-series rifles" was too vague, and that the CA legislature would have to ban each firearm by name explicitly.

As such, there are a myriad of "AA-15", "CAR-15", "BAR" and all that jazz that aren't ARs, but that have not yet made it to the ban list either.

Hopefully we'll get some kind of test on that here in Maryland, because as has been mentioned, banning "Colt AR-15 and all imitations" is ripe for misinterpretation. Actually, strike that, hopefully we'll just get it repealed before any of that happens.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    So, at the risk of repeating myself, that's what they've done in California.

In Harrott v. County of Kings, the CA Supreme Court determined that banning "all AR-series rifles" was too vague, and that the CA legislature would have to ban each firearm by name explicitly.

As such, there are a myriad of "AA-15", "CAR-15", "BAR" and all that jazz that aren't ARs, but that have not yet made it to the ban list either.

Hopefully we'll get some kind of test on that here in Maryland, because as has been mentioned, banning "Colt AR-15 and all imitations" is ripe for misinterpretation. Actually, strike that, hopefully we'll just get it repealed before any of that happens.

And you can change the name of any gun in case grandfathering is stricken from a law... book it in to a manufacturer, have them strike the old model info and engrave something new that's legal (if banned by name), BAM it's something else now. :innocent0

thorbird

Jun 23, 2011
    Hagerstown
    You can get stripped lowers even in NY State right now from FFls that know the law. It is a features based law. That is per the State Police Headquarters. You can make a bolt gun out of it, but unless it is registered by the deadline, and you didn't have it in your possession before Cuomo's midnight grab, you cannot build it into a semi-auto AR15 with a pistol grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom