• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Effective against Black Bears: pots and pans, sticks, rocks (banging together, not throwing at him) and generally being an *******. I've had a few run-ins with them and the ones that act all cool around you and your noise are the scary ones -- they are not afraid of you. You need to leave. Now. Most attacks I have seen reported started with "he seemed like a nice bear...".

Browns and Grizzlies are the ones to watch out for. Especially Browns. They are quick tempered and mean. The good news is they are "hit and run", so if you survive the first attack you are generally going to make it. Grizzlies stick around and finish the job. That's why there are more grizzly deaths.

I spent a lot of time with black bears in NY and have never had a problem with them. I spent even more time in the Sierras with Browns and an occasional grizzly (got photos I should dig up somewhere) and kept a respectful distance. People stay clear of the browns in the Sierras. Best thing to do if a brown approaches is abandon your campsite by walking away. You'll need a new tent and clothes, but you'll stay safe. Just don't provoke it or make yourself look like a fun things to chase. Generally they will rather stick around and have at your campsite.

My experience with Browns is two campsite "incursions" and finding myself accidentally between two cubs about 20 yards apart after walking into the woods to take a leak (Kings Canyon Wilderness). That one made my blood run cold -- it was a complete surprise to me and I had no idea where momma was. I got a picture of one of them once I fell back and got in the car.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    Effective against Black Bears: pots and pans, sticks, rocks (banging together, not throwing at him) and generally being an *******. I've had a few run-ins with them and the ones that act all cool around you and your noise are the scary ones -- they are not afraid of you. You need to leave. Now. Most attacks I have seen reported started with "he seemed like a nice bear...".

Browns and Grizzlies are the ones to watch out for. Especially Browns. They are quick tempered and mean. The good news is they are "hit and run", so if you survive the first attack you are generally going to make it. Grizzlies stick around and finish the job. That's why there are more grizzly deaths.

I spent a lot of time with black bears in NY and have never had a problem with them. I spent even more time in the Sierras with Browns and an occasional grizzly (got photos I should dig up somewhere) and kept a respectful distance. People stay clear of the browns in the Sierras. Best thing to do if a brown approaches is abandon your campsite by walking away. You'll need a new tent and clothes, but you'll stay safe. Just don't provoke it or make yourself look like a fun things to chase. Generally they will rather stick around and have at your campsite.

My experience with Browns is two campsite "incursions" and finding myself accidentally between two cubs about 20 yards apart after walking into the woods to take a leak (Kings Canyon Wilderness). That one made my blood run cold -- it was a complete surprise to me and I had no idea where momma was. I got a picture of one of them once I fell back and got in the car.

There are no Grizzly Bears in the Sierras. What you were seeing were a cinnamon or brown coated variation of black bears. A black bear can be black, mottled black and white, brown, cinnamon, or blue.

Grizzly bears (ursus arctos horriblis) are brown bears (ursus arctos). They are considered a subspecies. They did not used to be, but it was changed. Generally, the difference is where they live. Grizz are inland, and browns are coastal. Browns typically get bigger due to easy access to salmon spawning streams, etc. Grizz typically live on grass, berries, carrion, and whatever they can kill.

Another subspecies is the Kodiak; also a brown bear, but is isolated from other populations and has developed distinct charachteristics such as its skull structure. Brown bear taxonomy is disputed often. There are several subspecies worldwide. :)

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Here is the typical home defense round for Alaska versus black bear.

Slug, Buck Shot, Slug, Buck Shot, Slug

Hit the bear, blind the bear, Hit the Bear, Hit it again in Eyes, Hit the bear.

If that doesn't do it your either dead or running with a load in your pants.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    Here is the typical home defense round for Alaska versus black bear.

Slug, Buck Shot, Slug, Buck Shot, Slug

Hit the bear, blind the bear, Hit the Bear, Hit it again in Eyes, Hit the bear.

If that doesn't do it your either dead or running with a load in your pants.

Some people do that, but not the smart ones. :rolleyes:

You will not have time to rack and fire that many rounds if a bear is charging you. That is, unless you start shooting at 75 yards. Not to mention, a shot square in the face with buckshot would be very good shooting when you are shitting your pants and preparing to be eaten. They cover the gap FAST.

12ga slug. It is the single best defense you have against a charging bear. The best defense is to be vigilant and try not to be caught in a charge situation, but that is not always possible.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    There are no Grizzly Bears in the Sierras. What you were seeing were a cinnamon or brown coated variation of black bears. A black bear can be black, mottled black and white, brown, cinnamon, or blue.

Grizzly bears (ursus arctos horriblis) are brown bears (ursus arctos). They are considered a subspecies. They did not used to be, but it was changed. Generally, the difference is where they live. Grizz are inland, and browns are coastal. Browns typically get bigger due to easy access to salmon spawning streams, etc. Grizz typically live on grass, berries, carrion, and whatever they can kill.

Another subspecies is the Kodiak; also a brown bear, but is isolated from other populations and has developed distinct charachteristics such as its skull structure. Brown bear taxonomy is disputed often. There are several subspecies worldwide. :)

You know, I tell people, "There are actually blue bears," and they laugh at me and tell me I'm crazy, or stupid. I tell 'em that I saw a "Wild America" where they covered "Glacier Bears" - where the color of the bear's coat changed to match their surrounding environment. Bear resides is glacial environment, so its fur takes the color of glacier ice - blue/grn hues. No one believes me and I was starting to wonder whether I had imagined it. Now I know, at least, that I am not crazy.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

You are right; California is free of Grizzly Bears. I think we all just called anything big and other than a brown "grizzly". Thanks for the correction.

Hope the rest of my advice to the camper made sense to an expert, even if my taxonomy was wrong.

Malthus

Aug 1, 2009
    MD
    My grandfather (who used to hunt in WV a lot) always used to tell me that most bear incidents were a result of a human surprising and startling the bear. He used to say you should always make a lot of noise when hiking in bear territory (which can be pretty much anywhere in the Northeast). If the bear knows you are there, it will generally avoid you, and any potential confrontation is eliminated. (especially true during whelping season when the momma bear might have cubs) Just my 2 cents (or rather my grand dads).

mark1070

Nov 13, 2010
    south of Annapolis
    Here's an innovative way to carry light and still get maximum protection from angry bears:

index.php

Sirex