Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    They make pepper spray for bears. Alaskan guides carry 12 gauge and slugs for grizzlies, so they would be suitable for black bear, but that should be the very last resort. If you read about bear risks there is plenty of information on the web, much of it included in posts above.

Oh pepper spray should be fine. They also make an anklet with little bells on it so you are making noise as you walk. And the best way to know what kind of bears are nearby is to learn to identify their droppings

Black bear poop is smooth dark and compact, while grizzly bear poop is large, smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it :D

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    I keep looking at those Hexolit slugs, but the price wow.

I've never heard of a 320 lb black bear, must have been a monster, do you have it on display someplace I might get a chance to see?

Also, there's a great website, I think called the simple truth or something like that where a guy shots all kinds of everyday stuff with lots of different rounds. I agree from what I've seen, slugs are the only way to go with bears.

I've also heard that the problem with bird shot is that unless you are very close to an assailant, #8 doesn't penetrate enough to 'stop' anything.

Great thread, enjoying the discussion. All this advice would apply to other large and dangerous game, like moose, elk, my crazy brother in law :-) (jk)

---------------------
    Reminder: Please join the Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) open holster rally, noon this Saturday, 17 July 2010 on the waterfront in Annapolis, we need your support! http://www.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?categoryid=41&p2_articleid=47

North American Record shot in New Jersey 2011 829 lbs
    http://www.petersenshunting.com/201...ears-in-north-american-history-killed-in-n-j/
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts.htm

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    All you need when in the woods is a stick. So when you see a bear charging, you trip the person your with.

:lol: :lol2:

You don't trip them, you clock them in the face to get the smell of blood on them, effective manuever... ;)

(That should not be taken seriously in any capacity.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom