• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So when Widner's had Chinese SKS's for sale 2 weeks ago for $279 I jumped on it (thank you very much forum members who posted about it). It showed up today. It has plenty of cosmo on (and in it), but I took enough off to see that all the numbers match so far on the outside and on the inside the bolt as well (haven't cked cked the gas piston yet... I know sometimes they are marked too). I'm very very surprised. To be out the door for under $300 I got a pretty nice example to add to the family... thought I might have missed the boat. Only a little rust on the mag and the stocks metal trim. Should clean up very nicely and be a good shooter. I hope some others out there got nice examples as well. A few pics below... still a lot of cosmo on it (it got the quick 5 min wipe down on the large areas).

Attachments

• 100_0289.jpg
      100_0289.jpg
      116.8 KB · Views: 553
    • 100_0291.jpg
      100_0291.jpg
      80.9 KB · Views: 550

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Under $300 for that? That was a steal! I thought only the really early Sino-Soviet ones had a blade bayonet?

Looks awesome!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I got mine today too. Yours looks nicer than mine. My stock is pretty rough but not horrible and has a big 36 painted on the side. The bolt and dust cover do not match but all the other parts do. Most of the bluing is gone on mine but there's no rust. I've already taken it apart and wiped off a lot of cosmoline. I'm very pleased with it though. I was expecting a well-worn rifle and that's exactly what I got. I'll upload pictures tomorrow when I can take pics outside.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Please post pics of your stock! Don't refinish it!!!!!!

No I wasn't planning on refinishing it. I was thinking I would just bleed some cosmoline out of it and hand rub some boiled linseed oil because it needs it pretty badly. I definitely want to try to preserve the paint on the side.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Looks like yours is in much better condition than mine. The gas block is definitely a problem right now. Still need to get some carb cleaner for that...

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Nice, she has character. Little suspect of your rack number though... that shade of orange looks a little like that orange on the table it is sitting under... you haven't been adding your own character to your rifle have you? ;)

Yeah I'm trying to squeeze a few more bucks out when I decide to sell it. I'm going to tell some poor sucker that the soldier painted the number of kills on his stock. Seriously though, the paint actually looks like a light pink. The picture makes it look darker than it actually is.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    These sure are cool... What's the deal with the Rack Numbers, though?

Who put those on the stock?

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    These sure are cool... What's the deal with the Rack Numbers, though?

Who put those on the stock?

I'm wondering the same thing. I assume it was the Albanians but if that's the case you'd think there would be a lot more with numbers. This is the first one I've seen out of the batch.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Looks pretty much like the one I got from Wideners back just before Christmas; 'cept mine had almost no cosmoline on it and no rack number. Same price if I recall.

Mine was pretty early production. What year is yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom