Why the heck are M1 Garands so expensive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Apparently IH Garands are more collectible/valuable, although this one dates to either late 1940s or early 50s - I'll have to check - I don't think mine ever saw combat. Maybe Korea.
    I read on the CMP Garand Forum (as I recall) that the IHC Garands all went to other countries. Nothing specific of which countries and when. I have not seen many IHC Garands that are all original. Mine from CMP has an IHC receiver and bolt and the rest appear to be new old stock Springfield Armory parts (barrel, guide rod, etc), as well as a new CMP stock set. I get the impression that the IHC rifles were really abused.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I read on the CMP Garand Forum (as I recall) that the IHC Garands all went to other countries. Nothing specific of which countries and when. I have not seen many IHC Garands that are all original. Mine from CMP has an IHC receiver and bolt and the rest appear to be new old stock Springfield Armory parts (barrel, guide rod, etc), as well as a new CMP stock set. I get the impression that the IHC rifles were really abused.
    I've pulled mine apart and checked the numbers - all of the numbers are close enough to indicate that mine is a complete, original IH Garand.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I think its becuase you can re-barrel/rebuild them so many times before the reciever becomes out of spec.
    You dont have to suspend the bolt/working parts in an oil concoction to get them to go into battery and fire a cartridge either.
    They are, or happen to be the genuine article for a semi government rifle with the vast majority produced actually in a government arsenal and supported with a ton of parts that actually work resulting in a bunch of not one off or custom rifles.
    Not to mention they are probably the strongest and safest rifle action mass produced among other things and.....borne in a time and put out in the hands of the greatest generation and the sons thereof.
    I remember on here a while ago a member and his father??? iirc, went to the all weekend class in Alabama to build their own. I still want to do that with my pop.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I've pulled mine apart and checked the numbers - all of the numbers are close enough to indicate that mine is a complete, original IH Garand.
    Lol - I guess mine was a salvage operation! :lol2: Oh - I did find out that the back sight is also IHC - so I guess I have at least three original parts.

[EDIT] I will say this. It shoots well and is a beauty with that new stock.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I remember on here a while ago a member and his father??? iirc, went to the all weekend class in Alabama to build their own. I still want to do that with my pop.
    That’s right and that info was recently posted not to long ago.
    Or, it may have been for upcoming class dates etc.
    I can’t recall per se but I know they enjoyed the hell out of the trip.
    Took nice photos etc.
    The second go round may have been someone looking for a partner to go along for the course. The inspection and gauging methods with hands on is what I would be interested in being involved with. Some of those tools are hard to come by let alone get a chance to use.

I re barreled chambered and fit a fair number of Garands and here’s what I have to offer.
    If it shoots left, needs more heft.
    ( in regards to indexing the barrel)
    No three shot bullet touching groups from anything I ever assembled as one could imagine. Lol.

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think if any Garands are the most collectible it would be the earliest ones or ones equipped with the earliest parts.
    Or the match conditioned rifles.
    The last GCa indicated or speculated what have you, there were a bunch of IHC’s that accompanied a recent batch from Turkey.
    Although I think at the same time people feature the IHC’s naturally because of the tractor association or the two methods for heel stamping, LMR or even Marlin barrels.
    IHC parts have letter markings on them that can be found.
    Makes sense to me ,out of all the ones I own I do not have any of them.
    Or letter marked parts that I’m aware of.
    My IHC is running an SA barrel and was supposedly part of that Turkish reimport about 5 years ago. CMP service grade

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Jesus, I paid around $150 for my SKS about 15 years ago. Granted it came packed with cosmoline and had to be cleaned, but not worth $750
    I bought an SKS in the mid-90's...I think I paid like $85 for it. Packed in cosmoline too. Wish I had bought a 1000 of them for what they are going for now.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My IHC is running an SA barrel and was supposedly part of that Turkish reimport about 5 years ago. CMP service grade
    Ah - ok. I got mine from CMP in 2018. So those are from Turkey? Good to know.
    20180810_215528.jpg

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I read or at least it was insinuated there were more IHC’s coming that were supposed to be at or near the top of originality for returns. Not every one of them but enough that it was recognized by the article writer.
    Maybe it was the summer or Fall edition of the GCA this past year.
    A truckload of ammo crates too but nothing on the estore as of yet either which was a disappointment went I went to buy some.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I read or at least it was insinuated there were more IHC’s coming that were supposed to be at or near the top of originality for returns. Not every one of them but enough that it was recognized by the article writer.
    Maybe it was the summer or Fall edition of the GCA this past year.
    A truckload of ammo crates too but nothing on the estore as of yet either which was a disappointment went I went to buy some.
    Looks like CMP has IHC Expert Grades available.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Looks like CMP has IHC Expert Grades available.
    I saw that a moment ago, but got side tracked on the rifle services page and saw where barrels are available in the custom shop but not on the e-store.
    The only one listed on the e-store is for a 1903.
    I'm done buying Garands but wouldn't mind having about 7 of those CBI barrels on hand for the price of the International expert grade. Especially the Krag barrels for about 4 of them, they're are the sweetest thing you ever saw.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I saw that a moment ago, but got side tracked on the rifle services page and saw where barrels are available in the custom shop but not on the e-store.
    The only one listed on the e-store is for a 1903.
    I'm done buying Garands but wouldn't mind having about 7 of those CBI barrels on hand for the price of the International expert grade. Especially the Krag barrels for about 4 of them, they're are the sweetest thing you ever saw.
    I say I am done buying Garands, but would love one in 308 Win. I have a huge list of "Things I Don't Need" and every once and a while I buy something off of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom