Why the heck are M1 Garands so expensive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Simple supply and demand economics; sellers pick a price and all of them get sold. That sets it. If sellers set a price and they do not sell, then the price comes down. Right now there are more buyers than there are sellers, so the price is up

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They’re still cheaper than many other semi autos of WWII and Cold War. Even a new production reputable AR-10 is not that much cheaper.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I think the CMP ones are VERY reasonably priced. You couldn't build it today for less. They are less than new M1As and mini-14s.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I think its becuase you can re-barrel/rebuild them so many times before the reciever becomes out of spec.
    You dont have to suspend the bolt/working parts in an oil concoction to get them to go into battery and fire a cartridge either.
    They are, or happen to be the genuine article for a semi government rifle with the vast majority produced actually in a government arsenal and supported with a ton of parts that actually work resulting in a bunch of not one off or custom rifles.
    Not to mention they are probably the strongest and safest rifle action mass produced among other things and.....borne in a time and put out in the hands of the greatest generation and the sons thereof.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    In one sense, I agree with you as the number of Garand's made is huge and there is likely no argument for rarity for most of them. But - it's a piece of WW2 history, the rifle that took down Hitler, was there to storm the beaches of Normandy, jump with the 82nd and 101st airborne, and to seize the islands of the pacific. The emotional appeal alone makes me want to pay money I don't have to own a whole rack of them.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think its becuase you can re-barrel/rebuild them so many times before the reciever becomes out of spec.
    You dont have to suspend the bolt/working parts in an oil concoction to get them to go into battery and fire a cartridge either.
    They are, or happen to be the genuine article for a semi government rifle with the vast majority produced actually in a government arsenal and supported with a ton of parts that actually work resulting in a bunch of not one off or custom rifles.
    Not to mention they are probably the strongest and safest rifle action mass produced among other things and.....borne in a time and put out in the hands of the greatest generation and the sons thereof.
    Wow - great write up. Submit that one to CMP. :thumbsup:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    In one sense, I agree with you as the number of Garand's made is huge and there is likely no argument for rarity for most of them. But - it's a piece of WW2 history, the rifle that took down Hitler, was there to storm the beaches of Normandy, jump with the 82nd and 101st airborne, and to seize the islands of the pacific. The emotional appeal alone makes me want to pay money I don't have to own a whole rack of them.
    55 is when they stopped making them I'm pretty sure and then somewhere along the line the Winchester tooling was sold off to the Italians who made some too. Around 6 and a half million of them or there abouts in this country alone.
    I think if someone was looking for a shooter one of the later ones would be the one to get. They had all the revisions done to them.
    They-re also expensive becuase people buy them and flip them to make a few dollars but most of them dont know what they're looking at for the most part anyway.
    And thats just how it is. CMP is the place to get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom