• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Coming from one of the most gun sensible places in the country, New Mexico, it's difficult arriving at one of the worst. Not going to dwell on it though, just need to make sure I read all the rules very carefully.

One thing I am having trouble finding is some space to shoot at. I have found a few places for sporting clays and plenty of pistol ranges, but something 300 yards and beyond seems impossible. Quantico has some very nice facilities, but that's a 1-1/2 drive for me and not something I wish to do every time I want to shoot.

Anybody have some farm land closeby that they are willing to share?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 582

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Welcome. No worries. You could have done much worse by moving to CA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, etc. The jobs here tend to pay well. My advice is to enjoy living here, don't stress out too much about the hardcore leftists, make as much money as you can, and retire back to a free state.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Coming from one of the most gun sensible places in the country, New Mexico, it's difficult arriving at one of the worst. Not going to dwell on it though, just need to make sure I read all the rules very carefully.

One thing I am having trouble finding is some space to shoot at. I have found a few places for sporting clays and plenty of pistol ranges, but something 300 yards and beyond seems impossible. Quantico has some very nice facilities, but that's a 1-1/2 drive for me and not something I wish to do every time I want to shoot.

Anybody have some farm land closeby that they are willing to share?

Well first off welcome, and to answer your question about shooting 300 yards or beyond, good luck with that. If your not willing to drive the 1.5+ hours to go to a range, its just not in the cards. I live in Southern Maryland which is way less populated than where you are and finding anything over 100 yards is pretty much impossible.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some new people and MD is far from the worst. It sounds like I might as well become a member at Quantico. My first choice would be the Stoney Creek Gun Club, but they require a sponsor and thus far I do not know anybody there. Hoping this forum might help with that...

One thing I've discovered I love doing here is kayak fishing. I did quite a bit of fishing when I lived in South Carolina, but the fishing in New Mexico sucked. Everywhere has their pros and cons.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    What's Delmarva from Pasadena,probably 1 1/2 hr. depending on traffic?

Looks to be around the same distance time wise, but thanks for the lead.

My company is rebuilding a few dams on the Quantico base, so I know quite a few people through work there already. Plus I thought it would be cool to rub elbows with some of America's finest on the line.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Welcome!

Might not be much/any closer but Thurmont conservation and sportsmanship club also has a 300 yard range.

Located just north of Frederick and 10 minutes east of rt 15 off of old Frederick road

Www.tcandsc.org IIRC

---
    Shamr0ck

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Welcome!

Might not be much/any closer but Thurmont conservation and sportsmanship club also has a 300 yard range.

Located just north of Frederick and 10 minutes east of rt 15 off of old Frederick road

Www.tcandsc.org IIRC

---
    Shamr0ck

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Inadaquate pre-move due dilligence.

Your new reality is that long-sh distance rifle shooting will take up a whole day when you include travel time each way. And no , there is no random farm land near Paasadena to go shooting.

Bridgeville and Quantico will be easier to participate in specific matches than to become a member to do your own thing.

Delmarva Sporting is open to the public , and pay daily fee as you go.

If you accept thaat 200yd is long by east coast standards , Assocated Gun Clubs Of Balt ( favcilities in Marriotsville ) is easy to join a consituant Club , and the dues/ fees are reasonable by Md standards.

OR , for plan B ; accept that it will tie up the whole day with travel time included anyway , so add on anothe hour , and join a club in south central Pa. Distance up to 1,000yd , most have dues/ fees low enough to round off to nearly free by Maryland standards.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk![FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Welcome to MD, until you escape. :)

If you don't mind my asking, where in NM were you? Had family that lived in Hobbs.

I lived at Lake Roberts, population of about 6 :) the closest town of any size was Silver City, about an hour drive south, which is how far we went for gas, food, and everything else. The upside is that we were surrounded by 900 square miles of relatively untouched wilderness, all of which I could hunt/shoot. We had mule deer that would almost eat apples from your hand, javelina, coyote, elk and bear in the front yard. It was an amazing place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom