Who remembers old handgun range in ?Owings Mills? circa 1987?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mravel1875

Apr 14, 2023
    New Market
    I had a MD Private Detectives License and a MD Handgun Permit and for certification went to some small private (I think) range off Church Rd or Nicodemus Rd or something. Bunch of bank security guards/armored car drivers there too. Just trying to remember where, but it's been 36 years.
    I think I remember an instructor saying that permits were for an individual, not a weapon or type of weapon, so you could qualify on a 5-shot Smith but carry a 45 ACP and no one would care.

MD has sure changed since 1987...

I remember that range. I don't recall what road it was off of but I remember it wasn't far from Soldier's Delight and Liberty Lake because we went fishing after shooting there. It had been there for a LONG time. I remember my dad (a BCoPD officer) taking my uncle and myself to shoot his 38SPL reloads..that was back in the early 70s.

OH and welcome

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Was it Pikesville Sportsmans Club ?
    The entrance was originally the end of Church rd, but then cut off by 795.
    It was started in the early 1920's around a graveyard from Civil War soldiers that were being brought down to Baltimore from Westminster and Gettysburg. Frank Smoot told us stories of clearing the land to find it with axes and horses.
    All bulldozed over and developed now.

mravel1875

Apr 14, 2023
    New Market
    That's it. An old friend (then a BCoPD, long retired) gave me good advice about my MD Handgun Permit Class...he said "sit in the very back row regardless of how many people in the class. Then watch all your fellow students in front of you dump their ammo, flick their wrist to slam the cylinder shut, then go click-click-click dry-firing. You won't get shot in the back if you're in the back row."

Been a long time. Thanks for the reply!

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    I took my first carry permit course there about 30 years ago. I remember the instructor calling a cease fire on the range as some deer crossed, unbothered by all the shooting. It was still rural there then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom