• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Anyone going out this week? What for?

Got a surprise day off Friday so we are going to try for some yotes, bobcats, and foxes. If no luck there, just prairie dogs or whatever small game pops up.

Who else is going?

0bf29f7ea21501263bc1e3f5ffb6c554.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Green tip for ammo? Does the yotes in Colorado wear steel helmets? ;)

You never know haha. For small game most people use FMJ. A 5.56 FMJ will drop anything out here that is considered small game. Plus I want the pelts. My friend I'm going with who has been hunting them for pelts for years out here said the soft point ammo is just too much for them and can do too much damage. He took down a 42 pound yote 2 weeks ago.

Now big game is a different story. You can legally use whatever you want but we use strictly hunting ammo. Humane and I don't want to chase an elk all over a damn mountain. Just makes more sense.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Whitetails in the National Forest this weekend. It's a real challenge to hunt there but that's what I like. I don't even care if I get a deer or even see them. It's just fun to try and I enjoy the zen type moments of sitting still and quiet with no cell phone reception.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Whitetails in the National Forest this weekend. It's a real challenge to hunt there but that's what I like. I don't even care if I get a deer or even see them. It's just fun to try and I enjoy the zen type moments of sitting still and quiet with no cell phone reception.

Sounds great! Good luck! Hope we get some good news from you.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    once deer season winds down a friend and some of his buddies are coming out here to thin the coyote population. They are getting out of hand around here. I hear at least 3-4 packs howling sometimes in the late evenings.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Coyotes are spreading all over in GW National Forest. I backpacked in for my hunt last weekend. Coyotes woke me up twice overnight and right at dawn one howled like 100 yards from my campsite. It's kind of funny camping out there in the spring/summer when I have my dog with me because he gets SO pissed at the coyotes that the wolf in him comes out. He sits back and looks at the sky and howls at them to go away. Oh yeah, he's a 20-lb cocker spaniel haha. I think the increased coyote population is killing deer. That's what I think after getting skunked hunting anyway.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Going to Minnesota on Saturday. Hunt there Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Then home, hunt Wednesday, Thanksgiving, Friday & Saturday in Earleville.

Anyone know a good divorce attorney?:spank:

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    PA turkeys tomorrow then MD whitetails Saturday. I can't believe I've struck out thus far!

Will report back if there's meat on the table.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    I am tagged out for bucks (bow and bonus used in bow season) so I am waiting for the start of firearm season (shotgun/ML in our woods) the Saturday after Turkey day before hitting the woods again. Good luck out there to all of you in the meantime!

Chris

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Anyone going out this week? What for?

Got a surprise day off Friday so we are going to try for some yotes, bobcats, and foxes. If no luck there, just prairie dogs or whatever small game pops up.

Who else is going?

0bf29f7ea21501263bc1e3f5ffb6c554.jpg

What do you do with a fox if you get one?

I often see foxes while I am out hunting deer. I like to watch the foxes hunt - It looks like they are hunting squirrels or something.

I don't know why I feel this way - but feel like the foxes are a good part of the eco system to keep the rodent population down. The private farm I'm hunting on does not have chickens or anything so they are not really a nuisance to anyone.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    whitetails during the day and foxes by night this weekend . should be a great weekend for both. maybe even knock down one of these yotes I keep hearing about down here in the south!

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I am tagged out for bucks (bow and bonus used in bow season) so I am waiting for the start of firearm season (shotgun/ML in our woods) the Saturday after Turkey day before hitting the woods again. Good luck out there to all of you in the meantime!

Chris

No wonder I haven't had any luck in Knoxville this year. Going to be up in the treestand on Saturday.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I went this morning sat in the blind for a couple hours..its freezing rain/snow etc here today so nothing much moving. I bet soon as I left the blind the deer show up...LOL maybe go out this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom