• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I'm thinking of building my own gun cart so post pics, tips, and plans if you've built your own. I need all the help I can get. I need one that will be able to break down so I can fit it in my Ford Focus.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    This guy?
    images

Could use these:
    G_17182G_SW_1.jpg

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Focus is rough.

what are you shooting? For three gun a lot of guys use modified strollers, there are some good ones here.

For high power I've seen some awsome modified welding carts but that might be too big for a focus...

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-65939.html

3-Gun shooting. I know a lot of people do the baby stroller but it seems like less than ideal solution. I don't want to invite anything baby oriented in my life.

Why do you need a gun cart for highpower?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    scope, scope stand, data book, provisions, ammo, extra mags, shooting mat, shooting stool, shooting jacket, etc

It adds up after a while....

I was fine with a backpack until I got a creedmoor coat....

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I would look at the websites that cater to the BPCR Silhouette shooters, All of those guys use carts and there is a few guys that advertize there carts that they have built. And some nice carts that they sell.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I modified a golf club bag from Dick's. I can put my AR, Shotgun, and PCC in it. Got the cart for it, works fine until I put ammo in the golf ball holder. I use a backpack for ammo, the bag for long guns now.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The other place to look is at Cowboy Action Shooting. Like 3-gun events, Cowboy shooters need to carry a rifle, a shotgun and 2 pistols, plus ammunition and other supplies. Here are some gun cart plans:

http://www.gateslinger.com/guncart/guncart.htm

Here's a link to pictures of dozens of different gun carts for ideas to build your own:
    http://www.kansascas.com/gun_carts.htm

And, finally if you want to buy plans, here's a site with a bunch to choose from:
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Rolan_Kraps

Joe

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Seen quite a few guys with appliance dollys. They collapse to fit in tight places. Usually see them use bungee cords to strap their cases and tubs to the dolly.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My super large cooler was actually all the rage... people were shocked how practical it really was.

It has big beefy retractable tires on it and I can fit my AR-15 in it after I break it down. It was awesome (about 40 inches long).

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Here are some pictures of a cart that I made from scrap wood in the garage. It holds 7 long guns and the metal rack on top is for 9 handguns. The large shelf in the middle flips down for temporary use in transport. I put ammo and my range bag under the shelf and stack the rifle cases on the shelf. It easily carries 2,000+ rounds of mixed ammo, 4-5 handguns, and 5-6 rifles. (I hate making multiple trips to and from the car.) Plus I then have a good way to rack and secure my guns at the range. I also have some lockable coated steel cables that I can run through the trigger guards of the guns on both levels. The wooden rack locks into, but just lifts off of the aluminum hand cart. The hand cart was about $90 at Costco.

Attachments

• Cart1.JPG
      Cart1.JPG
      44.1 KB · Views: 2,027
    • Cart2.JPG
      Cart2.JPG
      47.7 KB · Views: 2,061
    • Cart3.JPG
      Cart3.JPG
      44.6 KB · Views: 2,050

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have built 2 of them from craigslist jogging strollers --all you need are a couple of gun holders like are used on ATVs and some sort of cup mounted on the bottom to hold the muzzle - I used some drainage pipe parts from HD and zip tied can cozies inside to cushion the muzzle. Pull the canopy off the stroller - strap a gear bag inside and you are ready to go.Most of them fold but still not very compact- dont spend more than $25 for stroller - keep watching craigs list -they show up cheaply. The Atv gun holders are the most expensive part but still beats the Rugged Gear prices.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    that is awesome. How much would you say to make it does not look very costly other then the cart.

The wood was all left over scraps......although nice scraps. 3/4" AC Birch for the back and bottom. 1/2" 9-ply Baltic Birch for the sides, flip down shelf and divided rifle holder. Piece of 3/4" cherry for the front edge. $15 for a few latches and hinges. The metal handgun rack ($30) was out of a gun safe. Just bent it to fit. 2 looped coated cables that I already had. So not really that much other than my time......but it was fun to build.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom