• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You know, I didn't pay any attention! Will have to open up the safe when I get home and check it out. At this point I'm happy that it's a factory mag. If it's a tombstone then that's a cherry on top.
    Lookie, lookie, tombstone!

Attachments

• IMGP0036-001.JPG
      IMGP0036-001.JPG
      330.5 KB · Views: 32

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When I read the first post, I thought you had picked up the Woodsman Sport, which sports a 4.5" barrel, but I guess that's only correct with the First Model?

I have a 4.5 and a 6, both first models. Pretty cool guns. Somewhere I have a pretty interesting holster supposedly for the 6 incher. If I ever find it again I'll post pics.

Jul 1, 2012
    When I read the first post, I thought you had picked up the Woodsman Sport, which sports a 4.5" barrel, but I guess that's only correct with the First Model?

I have a 4.5 and a 6, both first models. Pretty cool guns. Somewhere I have a pretty interesting holster supposedly for the 6 incher. If I ever find it again I'll post pics.
    u'r correct...
    Mawkie's is actually a Sport model with its 4 1/2" barrel.
    The Sport was made all through production (1st, 2nd, 3rd series), with a 4 1/2" barrel only.
    The Target model had the 6" barrel only.
    The Match Target had either 6" or 4 1/2" barrel.
    Then there was the Challenger, Huntsman and Targetsman (and pre-Woodsman).

For whatever reason the 4 1/2" barrel MT and Sport bring more interest & $$ than the 6" MT and Target across the board.

Rayburn's site is a wealth of information:
    http://www.bobrayburn.com/colt22/basic.html (overview of the models)

also see Lisker's Colt Autos site:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I got to shoot a 6 inch model made in the early 1970's recently and it is a beautiful gun and very easy to shoot. I like it a lot better than my Ruger Mark pistols. If I can find one in as nice a shape it is on my bucket list of purchases for sure. I love the term "bucket list" and am planning to use it more in conversation as well.

bucket.png

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    ****I got to shoot a 6 inch model made in the early 1970's recently and it is a beautiful gun and very easy to shoot. I like it a lot better than my Ruger Mark pistols. If I can find one in as nice a shape it is on my bucket list of purchases for sure. I love the term "bucket list" and am planning to use it more in conversation as well.

View attachment 419710
    Howzabout a S&W Model 41? Ever shot one?

Most folks seem to think it's about as good as it gets as a production 22.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Howzabout a S&W Model 41? Ever shot one?

Most folks seem to think it's about as good as it gets as a production 22.

****I've never shot one but there are a few guys who use them as bullseye pistols. Highly modified with a target scope or red dot,etc.. Looks almost like a space gun guys sometimes use at matches.

bullseye.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Another beauty for collection! One day I will have a Model 41 and a Woodsman to go with the Browning Challenger and the High Standards.

Brad, what's the skinny on that Woodsman?
    Brought in on consignment, appears to be in pretty good shape, Colt marked magazine, button style magazine release. 6" Match Target model. Going by colt22.com data, appears it's a Jan of '54 production series 2.

Consignor is asking $1200. You're free to drop by and check it out in person if you want.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thread edited. I always get confused because after 1950 the 2nd series was the first Sport model to have a fully adjustable sight. Previous to that they all had fixed sights only. So when I see that adj. sight in my mind "Target" pops up. Lots of variations and changes over a roughly 60 year run.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    OP, thanks for the thread, it made my pull out my pristine 6” Woodsman in original box, etc with a SN very close to yours, what date is that? ~1949?.

First time I’ve held it in perhaps 30 years.

Good luck...

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sam's site has it in 1949
    OP, thanks for the thread, it made my pull out my pristine 6” Woodsman in original box, etc with a SN very close to yours, what date is that? ~1949?.

First time I’ve held it in perhaps 30 years.

Good luck...
    Bob Rayburn's site has production dates compiled from Colt factory records. Mine was built some time in '49. Must be one of the very first examples to transition from fixed to adj. sight.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Brought in on consignment, appears to be in pretty good shape, Colt marked magazine, button style magazine release. 6" Match Target model. Going by colt22.com data, appears it's a Jan of '54 production series 2.

Consignor is asking $1200. You're free to drop by and check it out in person if you want.
    Thanks Brad. I won't be able to get there before the 8th, if it's still there I'll check it out.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks Brad. I won't be able to get there before the 8th, if it's still there I'll check it out.
    No problem, it should still be here - have had some interest, but no one has done paperwork on it yet.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    The Woodsman is a really classic pistol. I picked up a Colt Challenger recently and it is just the right size for an 22 lr auto pistol. It is also a very accurate gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom