• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -About a decade ago I made a lucky purchase of a beautiful Colt Woodsman Target with 6" barrel as a Christmas present for my wonderful brother. He didn't have a .22 pistol in his small collection and wanted to teach his youngest teenage son to shoot. Found a 2nd series example with stunning Coltwood bakelite grips. Ever since then I kept an eye out for one for myself. But something else always got in the way and it took this long for me to finally ramp up the search intensity.
    -Found a nice example on GB and after a few counter bids it was mine. Paid about $100 more than I did back in 2012 so I'm satisfied that I didn't overpay. And got another safe queen in the process. The only difference is mine is the Sport version with the shorter 4.5" barrel. Expect it to shine at the range, like all my other Woodsmen do. BTW, my nephew is now in his late 20s, graduated college with a masters and still takes the Woodsman I got him to the range with us when we get together for a session. And he still adores it, money very well spent!

Attachments

• IMGP0032.JPG
      IMGP0032.JPG
      185.1 KB · Views: 83
    • IMGP0033.JPG
      IMGP0033.JPG
      271.1 KB · Views: 83
    • IMGP0034.JPG
      IMGP0034.JPG
      107.5 KB · Views: 82
    • IMGP0035.JPG
      IMGP0035.JPG
      205.2 KB · Views: 83
    Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There's a video on YouTube about making magazines for those from new ones made for other firearms.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Looks to be in super shape!
    Did it come with the 2nd series "Tombstone" magazine?
    You know, I didn't pay any attention! Will have to open up the safe when I get home and check it out. At this point I'm happy that it's a factory mag. If it's a tombstone then that's a cherry on top.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    I have 2. One made in 1969 and one in 1977. Great shooters. I have the 4 1/2" barrel on both .

Attachments

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 43

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    We just took in a Woodsman Match Target yesterday, IIRC it was a 6" model - haven't checked mfg year, Colt magazine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pure uninitiated curiousity asking - what's a 'Tombstone' magazine?

**Little google-fu answered that question, learned something new today.

Jul 1, 2012
    They were unique to the 2nd Series Woodsman's (Woodsmen?) models.
    2nd Series is the only version with a push-button mag release like a 1911; IMHO Colt went backwards with the 3rd Series which reverted to the heel release and small mag loading button. But I wasn't around back then to consult LOL.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One we took in is a standard button-type, I take it the tombstone is more preferable to a collector?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It never made sense to me either...the 1911-type button release is much more user friendly than the heel release. It must have cost less to produce is the only explanation that makes sense.

Yes...the tombstone type magazine is far more valuable to a collector.

Jul 1, 2012
    Looking back through my notes, Bob Rayburn's pocket guide shows 3 different variants of the 2nd Series magazine. Ideally a collector wants the right variant for the year of manufacture of their pistol but it's not an exact science (Colt shipped what they had on hand).
    1947-49: Non-removable baseplate (no hole for the retainer)
    1949-50: Removeable baseplate with a squared-off spine profile (flat rear surface)
    1950-55: Removeable baseplate with a "scalloped" spine profile (curved inward rear surface)
    There's something like 10 different magazine variants for the pre-Woodsman and 1st series, and the Challenger had different style mags too. Then there's the several variations of the 3rd Series, plus aftermarket mags.
    It's a lot to keep track.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Another beauty for collection! One day I will have a Model 41 and a Woodsman to go with the Browning Challenger and the High Standards.

Brad, what's the skinny on that Woodsman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom