• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hello Everyone,

In the past year or so I have seen my gun safe spawn more babies, growing from a .22Lr rifle, to a .22 Berreta, then I added a CZ 9mm, and most recently my first AR-15. I am also currently in the works for a Remington 700 to do some long range shooting and hopefully a M1 Gerand for match fun! Anyways, Feeding these puppies is getting pricey it's depressing especially now that I am going to the range more than ever, so I have been seriously looking into reloading myself.
    For starters, I am interested in going with the Dillon 650 progressive Press. What I've seen and read on this press so far, tells me this press is very easy to use, clean, and efficient. I like how most of everything I need is in one setup, quick and easy to produce rounds. In your opinion is this true? Ss this what I am paying/investing in versus some of the other perhaps, simpler but seemingly to me... slower brands/type of presses? Also, are there any reloading methods that cannot be done on the dillion that I may want to do in the future once my knowledge and skills rise? Or in general, any reasons why I shouldn't go with the Dillion 650.

Before I spend on my next couple fire arms, I'd like to start saving asap on ammunition to shoot with them.

Thanks alot!

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I have a 650, and it is an awesome press. If you're doing high volume loading for blinking, it is great. If you're doing precision loading, get a good single stage press, and good dies.

I use my dillon for bulk stuff. All of the loads for my hunting rifles get done on my rcbs single stage.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I have the 550 b and am very happy. Brian Enos says that a 650 is not a good choice for a first progressive press there is a lot going on at once. A 550 is a little slower and you can catch mistakes easier before you do a lot of them.After buying I see what they are talking about and agree. Also the caliber change is cheaper on the 550.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I've been considering the 650 after I saw all of the complaints about the Hornady lock and load progressive. Does anyone have the case feeder? What do you think of it?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I use 3 square deal Bs (9mm, 10mm, 45acp), and a 650. (plus a lee turret for small batch stuff)

The 650 is an AWESOME press. I do all my brass prep separately and have removed the priming function from it, but I do use the casefeeder with mostly good success. i've had a few jams in the funnel at the top with 9mm (i load my subsonics on this press). larger cases feed just fine. For bulk rifle ammo, there isn't much else i'd recommend. it will rock though 223, 308, and 30-06. get a single stage or turret press as well, though, so that you can do the heavy work (i.e. size and decap) separately. keeps the grease and mess away from the dillon. then you just set back bags of prepped (and primed if you are like me) brass. when you have a few thousand cases of a given caliber, fire up the 650 and run em.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    How much do you shoot in 9mm and 223? How much do you realistically plan to shoot over the next few years? If you see yourself shooting thousands of rounds of 9 and 223 per year, and 100's of rounds of .308 (guess based on desire for R700), then a Dillon 650 would be an excellent choice. Just because it is a progressive press does not mean that it cannot be used as a single stage press (it can, easily). Most of us that have been reloading for many years started on a single-stage press and used it successfully to load many, many rounds of accurate ammo. There is definitely a place for a single stage, and honestly it is more efficient to use a Dillon progressive as a single stage press than it is to have a dedicated rock chucker or Lee single stage, because you don't have to change dies.

When I load 223 for accuracy, I use my 550 as a single stage, opting for a culver-style powder measure instead of the auto-measure on the 550. You may want to consider a similar setup for loading your R700.

If, OTOH, you may only shoot 1000 rounds a year or less of 9/223, then a 650 with case feeder is more than you will ever need. In such a case, a 550 would be a better choice, easier to maintain, and easier to use both as a progressive press and single stage. I shoot about 10k rounds of 9mm, 7k rounds of 45, 500 rounds of .38, and 5k rounds of 223 per year. The 550 gets that job done pretty well, and has done so without a single hiccup for 16 years. If I ever got serious with pistol competition and started shooting 1k of 45 per month, I would get a 650 with case feeder, dedicated only for that caliber.

Good luck with your purchasing!
    Danny

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Thanks, alot for the input everyone. Now I need to decide between the 650, and 550. As of this year alone, I know I have gone through more than 1k 9mm rounds and look to be going through even more. I got invited to attend the catoctin Sportsman club meeting next week for membership...and very well plan too. Knowing this I see my self and my son hopeing to become even more involved in match shooting if not just increasing fun/target shoots. I only live about 5 miles or so from the club. This being said I know the amount I shoot is diffenatly going to increase.

For the one or two hundred initial dollars, what are the main differances between the two models? In my head, I'd rather dish out the extra hundred to get the 650 and use it as a single stage until I further figure out what I'm doing as a reloader...and then have the option to use it to make my bulk ammo.

Am I understanding correct for those that have both models...that you are useing the 550B to do the more precision work, while the 650... is used to dish out the volume?

Thanks, Chris

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    I was brand new to reloading, and I happened upon a 550b and I love it. After learning my way through several technical issues with setup, I'm loving it.

I've loaded up over 1500 rounds of .45 so far, and I'm building my stockpile every day. My rounds are way more accurate than WWB or Federal plinkers, and I find it fun. I'll head into my garage when I have 20-30 minutes to spare away from the wife and kids and churn out 100 rounds here, 200 rounds there, it's relaxing.

Cowboy T

Granted that Dillon makes good gear, but they're not the only ones that do, and who knows? For what you're doing, a turret press might serve you better. That depends on your typical volume of shooting.

While I'm a big fan of progressive presses and use them regularly, I generally disagree with the notion of someone's *first* press being a progressive. It's like learning how to drive. There are surely some teenagers out there who can start on a Lamborghini. But do we typically do that? Nope. Why? Safety. We want them to get their good habits in place first before we drop the kid into that street-legal race car.

That's why I'm a big fan of starting out with an inexpensive single-stage. Learn your good habits first. Learn the importance of weighing your charges and why we do it. Learn what proper primer seating feel is. And if/when you do go progressive, you will know what you're doing and be better equipped to catch things like squib loads or double charges (I've seen newbies do that too many times already on progressive presses).

The other advantages of starting out with an inexpensive single-stage are the following:

1.) You won't need to drop a lot of coin right off the bat. Since I'm not a politician and thus not a gazillionaire, that mattered to me. :-)

2.) That single-stage will not "go to waste" if you do go turret or progressive later on. A single-stage is always handy to have for various tasks. Even though I load almost entirely progressive now, I still use the heck out of my little $30 single-stage (cast boolit-sizing, fixing the occasional errant round, initial load development, etc.).

3.) You can do the really precision work on your single-stage.

So, I would hold off on that 650 or the 550...for now. You can always pick one up later if your shooting needs call for such a machine. If/when that time comes, a Lee Classic Turret Press might also serve you well, again, depending on your eventual shooting volume. And while I haven't used an LnL AP yet, those who have them sing their praises, too.

- T

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    For the one or two hundred initial dollars, what are the main differances between the two models? In my head, I'd rather dish out the extra hundred to get the 650 and use it as a single stage until I further figure out what I'm doing as a reloader...and then have the option to use it to make my bulk ammo.

Am I understanding correct for those that have both models...that you are useing the 550B to do the more precision work, while the 650... is used to dish out the volume?

Thanks, Chris

My recommendations were made irrespective of financial considerations. A 550 is less cluttered than a 650 and more adaptable to single stage loading, in part because the manual indexing on the 550 makes migration of partially-reloaded rounds in and out of the turret easier. Where the 650 really shines is in high-volume reloading, when you need to crank out 500-1k rounds of ammo in a single sitting.

If I had the space in my house for multiple presses, I would set up a 550, a 650 with casefeeder, and plenty of space for my culver measure and handloading tools. That space is currently being occupied by my 3 children and their infernal playroom.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    COWBOY T, Thanks for you input. My one limitation when deciding on the press is also the amount of space I will need. Right now I don't have alot, due to my many other hobbies. I understand your point that starting basic until I become more familiar with reloading can be very important as far as safety, and in creating a good foundation. Although I will go back and look at single press setups, Right now I am likeing the 550, since it can be used as a single stage as well as a progressive. I am also looking at the fact that I do not have alot of room, due to other hobbies, to setup...another work table. lol
    I work in the BioScience Industry, and day to day I work with some pretty nasty pathogens that require a high level of caution and attention to details. That being said, I believe and will take the time to ...to take my time, and do this right.
    Also, Thanks for listing a few models...that I will look into, are there any others I should be aware of? Are there any places you know of that sell single press...setups, with everything you need.... if I go this route.

Chris.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I have had a 650 for 7 years and love it. I learned reloading on other peoples 650s and 550s. The seller for me was the fifth stage for a powder checker, and the case feeder. I was reloading for Pistol competition. Figured out the best load on other peoples press. Grabbed up a used one. Dillons customer service has been super. They didn't care that it was not original to me. Set it up and went to town. Now that I have to develop my own recipe. Got to get a single stage. Seems to me that most serious reloaders have a single stage press. Single stage for load development, and precision reloading. Progressive great for the go to recipe.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I've had a 550 for 20+ years, bought it before they had the 650 and thought about upgrading to one of those for a long time, but the 550 has been doing the job well enough that I never got around to replacing it. I started on a single stage, but I think you can start on a progressive if you are careful and thorough. I think a 550 can load about as precisely as any standard single stage press; I've loaded ammo that shoots .5" groups at 100 yds on my 550, which is about as precise as an off-the-shelf Winchester gets. If you are going to do benchrest shooting or something along those lines, you'd really need an arbor press to see improvement over a 550.

Dillon's customer service is the best I have ever seen in any field. Even when I've broken things due to my own stupidity they send me replacement parts for free, and they are very helpful if you have a problem.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've been using a 550 for somewhere right around 15 years now and won't replace it. I had the chance to buy a couple 650s a couple months back for $550ea including the strong mount and case feeder with each one. I passed the deal along to friends and got myself a used 550 instead. I can load between 5-600 rounds per hr on the 550 and having 2 of them means I don't have to change from large to small primers anymore. Not knocking the 650 at all but even shooting 10k rounds of just one caliber a year I don't think I need the 650.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I started loading on the 650 and the learning curve is steep. It can be done and Dillon's customer service will walk idiots like me through getting it set up. I bought a single stage to load calibers I don't shoot a ton of. Changing a calibers on a progressive press to load 100 rounds is not worth it in my opinion. If you get the 650 get the case feeder. It is no faster than the 550 without the feeder.

Cowboy T

Also, Thanks for listing a few models...that I will look into, are there any others I should be aware of? Are there any places you know of that sell single press...setups, with everything you need.... if I go this route.
    Chris.

For single-stage, most reloading vendors (Midway, Cabela's, Grafs, etc.) sell good setups with almost everything you need; all you need to add is the set of dies for your cartridge. The same is true for most models of progressive presses; "just add dies".

For turret presses, specifically Lee's Classic Turret Press, Cabela's sells a kit full of goodies for about $200 (again, just add dies).

Another thing: since space is limited in your case, you might consider doing a form of what I do. Take a 2x6 or 2x8 as appropriate, bolt your press to that 2x6 or 2x8, and then C-clamp the board to your bench. When you're done, just un-clamp your press from the bench.

How much shooting per month do you intend to do?

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I just ordered a 650 with 9mm & .40 S&W dies/shellplates. I am currently using two Lee Pro 1000's in .45 ACP and .38/.357. They have been ok for what they are but I have had a lot of problems with jamming, primers failing to feed, and have loaded a few squibs that I have had to drive out of my .45 barrel with a brass rod & mallet. From what I have heard on this forum, I'm hopeful that the 650 will solve all of these issues. If so, I'll be getting the .45 & .38/357 setup for it also.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I just ordered a 650 with 9mm & .40 S&W dies/shellplates. I am currently using two Lee Pro 1000's in .45 ACP and .38/.357. They have been ok for what they are but I have had a lot of problems with jamming, primers failing to feed, and have loaded a few squibs that I have had to drive out of my .45 barrel with a brass rod & mallet. From what I have heard on this forum, I'm hopeful that the 650 will solve all of these issues. If so, I'll be getting the .45 & .38/357 setup for it also.

The Dillon is a fine press, and I'm sure that it will work out well for you. You made a great choice in the 650.

In regards to the Lee's, setup and adjustment/maintenance is usually the culprit in problems with them. The instructions with them are terrible and have much important info missing, most of which can be found online. I'm currently running a Pro 1000 dedicated to 45ACP, and a Loadmaster that I've run 9mm, .38, & .357 through, no problems yet. When tuned, they run pretty sweet.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom