Votes: 14 16.7%
    • Other

Votes: 18 21.4%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I've had a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun on my list for some time. 45-70 is pretty stout, both in recoil and in price if you don't reload...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For a first lever gun, go for the .22lr.

Marlin 39a or Winchester 9422, IF you can find either.
    Either/both are really accurate.

Then, get yourself a Marlin 1894S or 1894CB in .44 Magnum.
    The Winchester 94 Trapper in .44 Magnum is another good lever gun.

Then, step up to a Marlin 1895G, then 1895CB in .45-70 Government.
    You'll soon see why I say that the .45-70 is the only Government that I really trust!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sorry, but I have to disagree, maybe.

A good .22LR lever gun can be a tack driver. It's great to start new shooters, especially kids. Then move up to a .357 lever gun, start them with mild .38Spl then eventually go up to .357.

As far as 30-30 goes, that's probably the best bush - deer hunting gun of all time. I almost bought a youth model recently.

Get a good .22 lever gun first, but soon after get the .357 flavor also.

If you plan to ever shoot cowboy action, listen to Hodgepodge.

Good advice.

I have levers in 22LR (a Browning BL-22), 38/357 (Winchesters), 30-30 (Winchesters), and 308 (Browning). The BL-22 is a very accurate gun once you learn the sights. It's a superbly manufactured rifle that is tremendous fun to shoot. My Winchester 1892 in 357 feels much like the BL-22 when shooting 38 Specials.

The BL-22, when produced, can be found for a little more than $500 new. The others are pricier, although used Winchester Model 94s that were made in Connecticut after 1963 can be found for around $400, but check the receivers for rust. Most will have some discoloration and possibly a patina of sorts, but because of manufacturing and changes the bluing was less protective so some of these Model 94s have rust issues. The current ones made in Japan do not nor do the pre-1964 Model 94s made in Connecticut.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cant believe I am just weighing in on this!

I have lever guns in .22, .357, .45LC, .44 Mag, .454 Cassul, .30-30, 250 savage, and .303 Savage and .45-70.

The best hunters are definitely the Savage 99s but they feel like a deer rifle, don't have that great western feel that a 66/73/92/94 gun does.

I would say get the .38/.357 as they are fun and affordable to shoot, but still powerful enough to do some damage if you take it as a camp gun (.357 does wonders out of a 16" barrel). Now you get to cost, Marlins and Winchesters have the best actions (personally prefer the Winchester) but are very pricey in that caliber right now. The Rossis function well and are accurate, but may take some tweaking to get perfect (e.g., bullet guide adjustments, smoothing the trigger) but they price is right, for $500 or less you can get yourself a very nice 16" trapper lever gun that will handle well. They are basically tools.

That said, if money isn't super tight you may just want to buy a base Henry carbine as well, I think I paid $220 for mine. Money well spent.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I voted 22 LR. You'll do more shooting with it. My Henry is a credibly accurate rifle and is a preferred squirrel/small game gun. I've gone the pistol caliber carbine lever route but always end up selling them. The exterior ballistics over a 6" - 8" barrel magnum revolver don't extend range enough to warrant getting the lever in a pistol caliber over a rifle chambering. That's just me, though. One just needs to put in the range time with the revolver to be proficient at ranges encountered. So reloading would be in order. Where does it end?

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I had both the .357 and 45-70 in Marlin and sold both to MyToy. He wanted to buy them for his son so they could have father-son bonding time, but couldn't find one anywhere, so what could I say? NO? LOL.
    Then I purchased from the classified two used pre-safety Rossi in 357 and 45LC.

I ended up selling the 357 but I'll forever keep the 45LC and pass it down to my kids.
    That rifle is so smooth, no rattle, corners are smoothed and no tool markings...built better than the two JM Marlins.

I havnt fired a modern Rossi, but it seems from reading forum posts that the older Rossi levers were made well.

45LC is so much more fun than the 45-70!!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I also voted .38/.357 but have to admit I also really like my 39A's, 9422 and 9422M.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    I voted .357/38sp also, but I must admit I now also own two Henry .45LC rifles and love shooting them.

Attachments

• -1.jpg
      -1.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 79
    Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Had to pull myself out of Gunrunners this evening because they had the following on the wall ...

1900 Savage 99 in .303 Savage - excellent condition, great wood, pretty high price

1952 Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 - very good to excellent condition, $690 (the pre-1964 Model 94s have held or increased in value)

JM Marlin 336A in 30-30 - excellent condition, built like a tank, will last generations, takes 6 in the tube, $425 (great price for a JM)

Last edited:

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Like many others, I've been on the prowl for a .357 lever gun. They are popular, and for good reason.
    I did pick up a nice 1970s winchester 30-30 lever from a shop out of the Poconos while at a gun show. It was inexpensive, was barely used by a hunting cabin owner and handles extremely well off-hand. I have total confidence in the 30-30 round for deer hunting. So the .357 lever gun will wait until the stars align and I have what I need out of a lever gun.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    find yourself an old Winchester 94/22. shoots 22S, 22L & 22LR. once you shoot it, you'll fall in love with it.

on the newer side, check out the Browning lever and Henry lever both in 22LR.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The 357's are only accurate out to about 75 yards, past that point the group opens up from 3" - 6" tor 7"...

That just didn't cut it for me...

Had one but sold it...

Love the lever rifles...

Meanwhile I can shoot 30 - 30's all day long & keep them all in a 3" group...

I currently own a Marlin XLR 336 & it's deadly accurate & fun to shoot...

Forgot to mention, 30-30 ammo is readily available & reasonably priced...

http://marlinfirearms.com/firearms/xlr/default.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom