• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The HK21 charging handle is on the list, but my next accessory is a cheek pad. The recoil is not bad, but I do get a slap from her every once and a while.

I made one for my old PTR. Im in the process of making another for my G.I. I didn't like the Clip On Ones made for HK Stocks, but that's a personal preference.

I attached mine via industrial Velcro so I could remove it fast and use the Irons.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Who locally builds these? Don't seem to have the build party like an AK...

No one to my knowledge. They are not nearly as easy to build as an AK, and cost WAY more to build than a good upgraded clone would cost.

Theres only a handful of skilled builders for these in the country.

Investment Grade Firearms
    Parabellum Armament
    Arizona Response Systems

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    Who locally builds these? Don't seem to have the build party like an AK...

The G3 has a couple of things going against it.

1. Not as popular as AK, therefore things will tend to be more expensive.

2. Although it's stamped sheet metal, it's still German, and HK, and all that that entails.

IMHO, the stamped AK receivers were engineered with low skilled workers (which would probably include you and I) using tools of dubious quality in possibly poor conditions in mind.

Is there anything German that meets those requirements?
    Well, maybe the last ditch stuff at the end of WWII, but that's about it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am not sure what a build party is, but I have met 2 individuals that have built 91's from the stamped receiver, welding and all. Can't say how good the work is. Don't know either of them that we'll.

The stamped receiver was the one factor that almost got me to buy a FAL instead. All of these rifles seem to have their quirks.

I am not sorry I bought the PTR, but I am sorry that I did not buy a FAL in addition to the PTR. Same for an M1A.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    IMHO, the stamped AK receivers were engineered with low skilled workers (which would probably include you and I) using tools of dubious quality in possibly poor conditions in mind.

The HK's and PTR's seem to have a good reputation for build quality. The CETME on the other hand, not so much it seems. Was it not the Germans who were able to mass produce the first viable stamped receiver?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I like the removeable pad on Clandestine's rifle pictured above. Nice optic too; pricey though yes?

I paid $400 for the Zeiss with Claw Mount in 2008. The same Optic now sells for $600. Its nice Glass but I prefer modern optics. My new PTR is getting a welded rail and a LaRue 104 Quick Detach Mount with a Leupy 4-14 MK4 or a Leupy 1-4 VX-R

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    Yeah, the Fero z24 (3rd gen) was a screaming deal a few years ago. I think I found one for around $340. If you can find them for $600, that's actually a good price as I see them more often for $800 and up. The 1st and 2nd gen Hensoldts are cheaper, but not as nice.

All that being said, they just aren't worth the current prices from a functional perspective. They are great glass, but they are great glass from 2 decades ago. And fixed 4x. For collectors, they rock. Mine now sits on my classic Argy FAL, complete with original Argy stanag mount. Ok, technically it's my Wife's FAL, but only becuase she told me that it was now her's.

Go with a welded rail and modern scope. For the $800 I've seen asked for these, you are in used ACOG territory. Or get a variable Leupold like Chad. Great scopes without breaking the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom