• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seems that there are many variations of the venerable Mossberg 590A1 currently available. Which configuration would you choose if you were in the market for one?

From my recent research into this shotgun on the web and other forums, I can tell that the 20" version seems the one most often chosen. I'll venture a guess and say that this is primarily due to the 9 round capacity and the bayonet lug option. It's definitely more aesthetically pleasing to the eye... with the barrel/mag tube of equal length. The SPX is the definition of tacti-cool with its ported barrel. But, geez, not necessarily most practical of configuration.

I'm still trying to figure out why:

1) Why the 18.5" barrel version doesn't have its mag tube equal length to barrel?
    2) Why the 18.5" doesn't have its own SPX variation?
    3) Does the 1.5" length difference really make a difference in maneuverability and overall ease of use?

And why am I typing this up at 1:35 AM on a Friday night? Who knows.

:D

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    1) Why the 18.5" barrel version doesn't have its mag tube equal length to barrel?

:D

When I bought mine a young man looking very much like a Marine said they used them for security personal and they fit in special vehicles racks.

No idea if that is true but it sounded good.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    For Fullsize:
    Mossberg 590 SPX 12GA #50771
    9 Shot
    Ported
    Standard Syn Stocks
    Front Sight: WINGED FIBER OPTIC
    Rear Sight: LPA GHOST RING
    INCLUDES M9 BAYONET & SCABBARD
    20" Barrel

Mossberg 590A1 12GA #51668
    20” Barrel
    9 Shot
    Ghost Ring Sights
    Speed Feed Stock
    Trigger Job

For a Short Model:
    Mossberg 590A1 12GA #51518
    18.5" Barrel
    6 Shot
    Ghost Ring Sights
    Speed Feed

The best of all of these is this model:
    Mossberg 590 A1 Short Barrel Shotgun #52689-0
    14" Barrel
    Ghost Ring Night Sights
    SpeedFeed Stock
    6 Shot
    thumbnail.aspx

I highly recomend considering the following accessories for all of the above guns:

-Aimpro Porting and Backboring Reduces Recoil impulse and tightens patterns.

-Aimpro Trigger Job (Nice Triggers are just, nicer :))

-Hogue Forend (Positive Grip)

-M.I. Rear Sling Plate (Single Point Hookups are all that work on Pump Shotguns IMHO)

-Aluminum Follower (Plastic Factory one can and will break)

-6 or 8 Shot Mesa Side Saddle (6 Shot for the 6 Shot Model, 8 for the 9 Shot Model)

If they dont have Speed Feed Stocks get one. They can hold 4 slugs and your side saddle can hold your buckshot.

Bayonet Lug is cool but pointless. Ghost Ring sights for a defensive shotgun is where its at.

If you want a light the only one woth getting is a Surefure M500/M590 Model.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    For Fullsize:
    Mossberg 590 SPX 12GA #50771
    9 Shot
    Ported
    Standard Syn Stocks
    Front Sight: WINGED FIBER OPTIC
    Rear Sight: LPA GHOST RING
    INCLUDES M9 BAYONET & SCABBARD
    20" Barrel

Mossberg 590A1 12GA #51668
    20” Barrel
    9 Shot
    Ghost Ring Sights
    Speed Feed Stock
    Trigger Job

For a Short Model:
    Mossberg 590A1 12GA #51518
    18.5" Barrel
    6 Shot
    Ghost Ring Sights
    Speed Feed

The best of all of these is this model:
    Mossberg 590 A1 Short Barrel Shotgun #52689-0
    14" Barrel
    Ghost Ring Night Sights
    SpeedFeed Stock
    6 Shot
    thumbnail.aspx

I highly recomend considering the following accessories for all of the above guns:

-Aimpro Porting and Backboring Reduces Recoil impulse and tightens patterns.

-Aimpro Trigger Job (Nice Triggers are just, nicer :))

-Hogue Forend (Positive Grip)

-M.I. Rear Sling Plate (Single Point Hookups are all that work on Pump Shotguns IMHO)

-Aluminum Follower (Plastic Factory one can and will break)

-6 or 8 Shot Mesa Side Saddle (6 Shot for the 6 Shot Model, 8 for the 9 Shot Model)

If they dont have Speed Feed Stocks get one. They can hold 4 slugs and your side saddle can hold your buckshot.

Bayonet Lug is cool but pointless. Ghost Ring sights for a defensive shotgun is where its at.

If you want a light the only one woth getting is a Surefure M500/M590 Model.

Oh I have the first one on your list and love the SPX sights not sure the porting is that useful. Heck I even hav ea tactical bayo that came with it (Talo)

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    590a1 Mariner is the coolest looking one IMHO, and mossberg doesn't double the price of the gun like they do for the 870 version.

trippinout

Nov 12, 2008
    Fort Meade
    Check out the blackwater edition #51772 if your looking for the tacti-cool. Ghost ring sights, speedfeed stock, tri-rail fore end.

Only advantage I see over the 500 is that it holds 9 instead of 6 rounds. replacement barrels for the 500 are easily found. Swap barrel go hunting; come home. clean it. swap to short barrel for home defense.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IIRC, isn't the general advice to also avoid pistol grips, given the placement of the safety on Mossberg shotguns?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I have the 18 inch model with the speedfeed stock and bead sight. I prefer beads on shotguns, but that's my personal preference. Great shotgun.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Below is my comparison pick

590 standard
    590A1 ported with AR sights (talo)
    930SPX
    Other riff raff

IMG_1244.JPG

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    #51668 is the sweetness. I've been keeping my eye open for one whenever I have about $650 to burn, but they've been pretty hard to find for the past year or so... There are usually one or two on GB but I prefer patronizing a show/ dealer over internet buying / dealing with the xfer

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    That marinized version is on my list....only $475 at Dick's. The Marine Mag 870 is close to $700

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    #51668 is the sweetness. I've been keeping my eye open for one whenever I have about $650 to burn, but they've been pretty hard to find for the past year or so... There are usually one or two on GB but I prefer patronizing a show/ dealer over internet buying / dealing with the xfer

Nothing wrong with buying used or buying off of a gun auction (because locally I couldn't find one used). Recently I bought a VERY slightly used #51663 for $340.00 including shipping. And transfer was $25.00.

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md

I ordered my 51668 from budsgunshop on nov 25th of 2011. It was on sale for $498 with free shipping. My local ffl charges me $25 total for transfer/msp paperwork. I like dealing with local shops also but when i can save over $100 by ordering online it becomes hard for me to turn that down. Anyhow, i love the shotty minus the crappy forend on it. A hogue is on my short list of parts. I still like my 870p but my 590a1 is becoming my favorite shotty.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I shot mine in three gun shoots, need to shoot both shot and slugs. I have the 20 inch (9 shot capacity - 1 more than Rem with mag ext. important IMO); ghost ring sights allow you to switch between shot and slugs using the same point of aim.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom