• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    go 20" and get the +1 tube extension, ten shot FTW:rock29:

if you want manuverability get an 8" saiga

i've got a 500 since its like half the price, but in the future i want to SBS a 500 and a 20" 590

john

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    51660.jpg

keep it simple

Agreed.

I went with the 18.5" ghost ring model and wish I had the 20" bead sight.

Plus the 14"... definitely want to pick one of those up too.

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    When I bought mine a young man looking very much like a Marine said they used them for security personal and they fit in special vehicles racks.

No idea if that is true but it sounded good.

I used to work for a former USMC FAST instructor, and he has a 590 Military for HD because he used them for that exact purpose, door breaching.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I was totally planning on getting a 590spx with pistol grip. I had heard that people don't like the safety location on the mossbergs, one of my favorite features on my 835 and 935, with pistol grips. I handled one the other day and it really is terrible. I think I'm going to shop around for an M2 instead.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Avoid the pistol grip setup. Std Stocks manage recoil better anyway.

I was totally planning on getting a 590spx with pistol grip. I had heard that people don't like the safety location on the mossbergs, one of my favorite features on my 835 and 935, with pistol grips. I handled one the other day and it really is terrible. I think I'm going to shop around for an M2 instead.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Avoid the pistol grip setup. Std Stocks manage recoil better anyway.

I know in the M2 you can get the recoil reducing stock but in a normal stock vs pistol grip stock, why would it manage recoil better.

I do like the stability increase with one hand handling. The only practical application I have experience with is from turkey hunting where I wanted to keep the gun up and slide slightly or make a call etc.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I have the 20"

Ghost Ring sites are a must, everything else is personal preference.

You will love the 590!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    RaVis:

I have one question for you. Have you felt both the 20" and 18.5" side by side? (one after the other, not talking about coach guns)

The reason I ask is because some people find the full length 590 to be unwieldy. Make no mistake: it's a darn big gun and when loaded for bear, feels front-heavy. The 18" gun has less of an issue here and definitely feels a little faster. There's a reason why this length was standard for about 75 years. There's nothing wrong with the shorter barrel. Some people swear by them despite reduced the capacity. Personally, I'm okay with my 20" Mossberg, but it's not for everybody. We can't tell you which one is right for you, just which gun is right for us.

Oh, and thank you to Chad for the info dump.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    RaVis:

I have one question for you. Have you felt both the 20" and 18.5" side by side? (one after the other, not talking about coach guns)

The reason I ask is because some people find the full length 590 to be unwieldy. Make no mistake: it's a darn big gun and when loaded for bear, feels front-heavy. The 18" gun has less of an issue here and definitely feels a little faster. There's a reason why this length was standard for about 75 years. There's nothing wrong with the shorter barrel. Some people swear by them despite reduced the capacity. Personally, I'm okay with my 20" Mossberg, but it's not for everybody. We can't tell you which one is right for you, just which gun is right for us.

Oh, and thank you to Chad for the info dump.

Seconded. Chad's posts are more or less right-on, given what I've experienced thus far...but a 20" heavy-barreled 590A1 with full mag tube isn't for everyone. The 18.5" 590s with the 5- or 6- shot (I can't remember) tube should be lighter, faster, smaller, and more pointable; all important when potentially navigating your house in the dark.

This is also relevant if you have a significant other who may have to use the shotgun; keep these variables in mind.

51517.jpg

51518.jpg

I like these two, and recommend them when people ask me about an HD gun.

I don't understand why people complain about the safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom