• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Was there something you didn't like about it, or did you just not need it anymore etc?

Well i purchased it from a good friend figured i would try a revolver. Just not really my cup of tea. Great shooter i just like my semi autos with higher capacities. May get another later. Gl on you purchase.

tiersmoke92555

Prince George's County Freedom Fighter
    Jun 28, 2012
    Capitol Heights
    Hello all, this is my first post here. I am looking for my first revolver, and think I have it narrowed down to the two I mentioned in the subject. Looking for a 357 with 6" barrel. I haven't found any place that has them in stock though. I would like to find some place that has them both so I can hold and compare the two. Any suggestions on who might have them and/or suggestions on where you would go to buy your first gun in years? I am in Glen Burnie, but willing to drive reasonable distances to find them. Thanks for any help/info.

When you find one let me know. I have an empty spot in my life that needs a M66. The spot that I know where I can get on is going to take my first son.:sad53:

Jun 27, 2012
    Update.. I went to On Target last night, and will be going back next week to pick up my gun! I ended up deciding on one that wasn't really ever on my list to try. Hopefully I made the right decision. I held the 627 Tracker first. Didn't really like the feel of it. It was light and I didn't like the ribber grip that is wider than the model 66. So, next I tried the Model 66, felt much better for sure. I had almost decided on that, but the model 608 in the case caught my eye. I picked that up and it was all over. It felt perfect in my hands (which surprised me because I have relatively small hands for a guy). I have read more good things about the model 66, but the biggest thing I read over and over is to buy what feels good in your hands. I got the 608 in .357 with 6.5" barrel. I have no intentions of using it as a carry gun so size and weight are not an issue. The 8th shot is nice too, getting me closer to the capacity of a bottom feeder. My priorities for this gun were fun gun to shoot at the range, home defense, and possibly close range deer hunting. Did I make a good decision? Honest opinions appreciated wether you agree with me or not....

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I think I saw that 608 when I was in there, looked nice. You shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Congrats on the purchase, but you won't be able to deer hunt with it, at least in MD.
    Handguns for hunting deer in MD require at least 700 ftlbs of energy, and that's a tad below the capability of the .357 mag. The .357 will do the job on deer, just not legally.

I had the same thought when I bought mine, and I thought for sure that the regs said 600 ft lbs. I had worked up a load that was just getting that, and I was pushing it, when I found that I had either mis-read the regs or that they had changed.

MH

Jun 27, 2012
    Congrats on the purchase, but you won't be able to deer hunt with it, at least in MD.
    Handguns for hunting deer in MD require at least 700 ftlbs of energy, and that's a tad below the capability of the .357 mag. The .357 will do the job on deer, just not legally.

I had the same thought when I bought mine, and I thought for sure that the regs said 600 ft lbs. I had worked up a load that was just getting that, and I was pushing it, when I found that I had either mis-read the regs or that they had changed.

MH

Damn, that pretty much sucks! I was told by several sales people (not at On Target), that if I got the 6" barrel I would be legal for hunting. I don't know enough of the technical aspects of things yet to have a grasp on the 700 ftlbs. So, there is no way I will be able to get there (with different rounds) to legally use this gun for hunting? I doubt it would be a problem where I do my hunting, as it is secluded private land, but still would feel much better keeping things legal.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Damn, that pretty much sucks! I was told by several sales people (not at On Target), that if I got the 6" barrel I would be legal for hunting. I don't know enough of the technical aspects of things yet to have a grasp on the 700 ftlbs. So, there is no way I will be able to get there (with different rounds) to legally use this gun for hunting? I doubt it would be a problem where I do my hunting, as it is secluded private land, but still would feel much better keeping things legal.

From the Maryland DNR Hunting regulations: "Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more."

I didn't find any factory rounds putting out 700 ft/lbs at the time I looked. As I said, with reloading, I was only able to get to 600 ft lbs, and that was barely.

I doubt that the DNR is going to pull your bullets, do a ballistics test, chrono your load, and try to determine what your ft lbs are, but, they may know (especially if the game warden is experienced in firearms or reloading) that the .357 doesn't qualify. At that point, you'd be in deep poop. I'd keep it for target shooting/HD, and move up to a .41 or .44 for hunting. I found a great deal on a used Contender that I'm going to use. Many different caliber barrels for it.

Sorry for the bad news. Again, congrats on the gun though and enjoy it. I love shooting my .357's, they are a lot of fun.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    On targets pices suck used overpriced guns i wouldnt recommend that place to anyone

Not sure where you shop but I haven't found that to be the case. :rolleyes:

Me either. Their prices are a tad high on most, but you get the bore lock for free, a free 1/2 hr range time, and a free gun safety class with each handgun purchase. I recommend them to many people.

MH

1Deag

Jul 5, 2012
    I'm a member and I don't recommend buying a gun from them to anyone.
    Prices are a tad high.

Jun 27, 2012
    Well, I got the call today... ready for pick up. Went to go get it and the pickup turned into a hiccup.... I have just recently moved, and when I was filling out my paperwork, was told to use my new updated address. I informed the salesman that I hadn't had the opportunity to change my address with the MVA yet. He told me to use my updated address and that we would "take care of that later"... well, I get there today and the first thing I was asked for was my change of address card.. OOoopps.. I didn't have one because I wasn't aware I needed it. I can't say I am totally without fault, as I should have taken care of the change of address before this anyway, but the salesman should have informed me I would need it before I came to pick it up. The salesman I talked to today was very apologetic and as helpful as he could be given the situation, so I can't hold TOO much against them, but am irritated and frustrated none the less... I was given a card for an hour of free range time as some consolation, but dangit, I should be there shooting my new gun right now! Oh well, stopped by an MVA 24 hour kiosk on the way home and did the change of address, thinking ti would print the card for me, but no luck. Got the change made, but the card will be mailed to me. So now I guess I am stuck waiting for snail mail before I can get my gun.... oh well.. had to vent!!!

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    On Target used to allow you to shoot your gun during the wait period. Ask them if they still do that. They have several new employees, I would ask the manager, Ed.

MH

Jun 27, 2012
    On Target used to allow you to shoot your gun during the wait period. Ask them if they still do that. They have several new employees, I would ask the manager, Ed.

MH

Well, I am HOPING that maybe I can go to the MVA tomorrow and pick up a change of address card. Not holding my breath though. If I can't get a card, maybe I will call On Target and see if I can do that.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have an older blued 66 in 6" and a 608 in 6.5".

Both are fine. You will enjoy the 608. Big and heavy...357 very manageable and 38's are barely noticeable. Very accurate and the trigger and action are very smooth out of the box.

Good luck with yours.

Jun 27, 2012
    I have an older blued 66 in 6" and a 608 in 6.5".

Both are fine. You will enjoy the 608. Big and heavy...357 very manageable and 38's are barely noticeable. Very accurate and the trigger and action are very smooth out of the box.

Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the input... I wish I had my initial impression of it by now as I should have... ggrrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom