• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 27, 2012
    Hello all, this is my first post here. I am looking for my first revolver, and think I have it narrowed down to the two I mentioned in the subject. Looking for a 357 with 6" barrel. I haven't found any place that has them in stock though. I would like to find some place that has them both so I can hold and compare the two. Any suggestions on who might have them and/or suggestions on where you would go to buy your first gun in years? I am in Glen Burnie, but willing to drive reasonable distances to find them. Thanks for any help/info.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Have you checked On Target in Severn? They always have the 66 there, in 4" anyway. I got mine there, good shooter. Ohh and welcome.

Jun 27, 2012
    No luck at On Target.. I called and the girl who answered originally said they definitely had the 66 in stock, but went to check on the 627.. came back and told me she was wrong and that they didn't have either right now. Said to check back in a week..

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    No luck at On Target.. I called and the girl who answered originally said they definitely had the 66 in stock, but went to check on the 627.. came back and told me she was wrong and that they didn't have either right now. Said to check back in a week..

Unfortunately On Target was probably your best bet within 40+ miles.

I have a 66 in my collection, 4" though.

What do you plan to use the handgun for? mostly target shooting? Do you ever plan to use it as a carry weapon? Is this your first handgun?

I don't have experience with the 627 but imagine the cylinder is quite wide at 8 shots.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    IMO The Gun Shop and Fishing Tackle in Essex, and FreeState Gun Range in Middle River, will have the best prices in the area. Click on the links in my sig block.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    IMO The Gun Shop and Fishing Tackle in Essex, and FreeState Gun Range in Middle River, will have the best prices in the area. Click on the links in my sig block.

They might offer the best deals, I don't know. I was suggesting that On Target was the best shot because of the number of handguns they keep in stock/for rent.

I went on a road trip once to Blue Ridge Arsenal

http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/

They had a decent number of rentals and handguns in stock too.. unfortunately they are in Va. But if they had what you wanted to check out.. you could ride over there.. handle them.. then buy somewhere else.

long ride though.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    They might offer the best deals, I don't know. I was suggesting that On Target was the best shot because of the number of handguns they keep in stock/for rent.

I went on a road trip once to Blue Ridge Arsenal

On Target is fine and so is Blue Ridge Arsenal - I spent a lot of time at BRA in the '90s - but as I said, in my opinion, the best prices in a reasonable distance from Glen Burnie are at The Gun Shop and FreeState.

Jun 27, 2012
    Unfortunately On Target was probably your best bet within 40+ miles.

I have a 66 in my collection, 4" though.

What do you plan to use the handgun for? mostly target shooting? Do you ever plan to use it as a carry weapon? Is this your first handgun?

I don't have experience with the 627 but imagine the cylinder is quite wide at 8 shots.

I want the handgun for 3 purposes.. number one target shooting, number two home defense, and number three possibly hunting (hence the 6" barrel). I don't ever intend to carry. It will be my second handgun. I had a Ruger .22 target pistol years ago, that I now wish I had kept. The 627 carries 7 shots, just like the 66. I will call the other two stores mentioned to see if they happen to have either/both models.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    I want the handgun for 3 purposes.. number one target shooting, number two home defense, and number three possibly hunting (hence the 6" barrel). I don't ever intend to carry. It will be my second handgun. I had a Ruger .22 target pistol years ago, that I now wish I had kept. The 627 carries 7 shots, just like the 66. I will call the other two stores mentioned to see if they happen to have either/both models.

My 66 holds 6 shots.

The 627s I've seen advertised hold 8.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...75660_775655_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    On Target is fine and so is Blue Ridge Arsenal - I spent a lot of time at BRA in the '90s - but as I said, in my opinion, the best prices in a reasonable distance from Glen Burnie are at The Gun Shop and FreeState.

I've never been to those stores. I use an FFL that does not have storefront for my purchases. Do those stores have a large selection? He was primarily concerned with handling the firearms before purchasing them.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    I was refering to the Taurus 627.. it's the Tracker model.. smaller/lighter frame, with a ported barrel.

Sorry, I forgot you specified Taurus.. was thinking S&W. I wish Taurus would have picked something to help easily differentiate themselves from S&Ws when naming their revolvers. Using 60s, 66s, 627, is confusing.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Fyi, I was in On Target today about an hour ago and they do have a Taurus 66 357 6 inch, blued frame, for $459. They had several 66s also in different finishes in the 4 inch. They also had another 6 inch Taurus 357 (different model) with a silver finish but don't remember if it was a 627 or not, might have been a 608.

Jun 27, 2012
    Fyi, I was in On Target today about an hour ago and they do have a Taurus 66 357 6 inch, blued frame, for $459. They had several 66s also in different finishes in the 4 inch. They also had another 6 inch Taurus 357 (different model) with a silver finish but don't remember if it was a 627 or not, might have been a 608.

Hhmm.. I am going away for the weekend, but may have to make a trip down there early next week. I am not interested in a blued frame, but could at least get a feel for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom