Where to buy black powder and reloading suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-This-22

Dec 29, 2012
    Waldorf, MD
    Just bought a bunch of reloading equipment and found out its not very economical to buy gunpowder online due to hazmat shipping charges. I live in Waldorf and know that Fred's carries GP but I'm never been fond of their pricing... I was wondering if anyone knows any alternatives to Fred's and I would greatly appreciate suggestions on recipes i.e. what brand GP, primers, bullets, and cases, etc.

I bought a Hornady Lock-n-Load and their 2 die set.

Reloading for .223

I hope I haven't left too much out...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yes. Gunpowder. I thought the words were interchangeable. Thanks for the correction.

Black Powder and Smokeless Powder are both gun powders. Black Powder is used mostly in muzzle loaders and some antiques and reproduction cartridge firing weapons. It sounds as if you want smokeless powder which is what is loaded in modern cartridges.

I believe you need to learn more about reloading before you attempt it. You should buy one or more good manuals with a tutorial section such as the Speer manual and read them and/or get instruction.

You should never use load information from an unknown source unless you can check it against manufacturers published load data and find that it is within published limits. You should always start working up a load from the minimum published data. Differences in the case type, primer, bullet type, powder lot number and firearm can all make a difference.

Last edited:

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    K31;2016554 I believe you need to learn more about reloading before you attempt it. You should buy one or more good manuals with a tutorial section such as the Speer manual and read them and/or get instruction. You should never use load information from an unknown source unless you can check it against manufacturers published load data and find that it is within published limits. You should always start working up a load from the minimum published data. Differences in the case type said:
    + 1,000 Trust no one's load data unless you can cross reference it in a published manual. The difference between a max load with a regular primer and a max load with a magnum primer could be the loss of body parts, death and/or harm to those around you.

Remember you are working with explosive chargesand it's serious business.

tommygun4hire

Feb 21, 2012
    Salisbury MD.
    i get my supplies from grafandsons thru the salisbury gun club
    you may want to check with the clubs near you.
    i save more a year in supplies than my membership cost
    3031 powder was designed for the 5.56/223
    i use remington small rifle primers mostly but any small rifle primer will be fine
    most projectiles i use for plinking are surplus pulled bullets from different sights on line
    i purchased 5000 surplus fmj 55 grain for 275.00
    please read,read,read and reread everything on reloading .
    it is easy to turn a hobby into a hospitol trip.
    if you can find someone you can observe and pick there brain on safty issues
    NEVER USE UNSEALED POWDER CONTAINERS THAT YOU DIDNT PURCHASE.
    I COULD GO ON AND ON
    BE CAREFUL
    PS i also cast alot of bullets for my reloading . this will save you money .
    good luck
    TOM

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    I don't know if he's still in business but there's a guy in Charles Co selling components from his home

ReloadR: Bob@301-934-6213

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I buy all of my powders from Fred's. They have nothing to offer in reloading dies and other supplies, but, they do have an excellent selection of powders at great prices. Don't hesitate to check them out for powder. The powders I use are cheaper at Fred's than what I have seen online or at other retailers. Beats the Shipping + HazMat regardless.

I cast my own bullets for all of my reloads, both pistol and rifles rounds, so, I can't help much with bullet prices for your .223 reloading needs, but, I order most of my stuff from Grafs & Sons. If you are only loading for .223 maybe consider casting your own.

If you're looking for dies and other items give Titan Reloading a try. I have bought many things from them. I ordered a new 425-255 mold on Saturday and it showed up here today. Shipping from Titan is waitless. Excellent customer service and excellent prices as well.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't know if he's still in business but there's a guy in Charles Co selling components from his home

ReloadR: Bob@301-934-6213

I'm sure Bob has not been in the business for many years. I think he stopped about 1518 years ago. It's been a long long time since I've heard anything from him.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    i get my supplies from grafandsons thru the salisbury gun club
    you may want to check with the clubs near you.
    i save more a year in supplies than my membership cost
    3031 powder was designed for the 5.56/223
    i use remington small rifle primers mostly but any small rifle primer will be fine
    most projectiles i use for plinking are surplus pulled bullets from different sights on line
    i purchased 5000 surplus fmj 55 grain for 275.00
    please read,read,read and reread everything on reloading .
    it is easy to turn a hobby into a hospitol trip.
    if you can find someone you can observe and pick there brain on safty issues
    NEVER USE UNSEALED POWDER CONTAINERS THAT YOU DIDNT PURCHASE.
    I COULD GO ON AND ON
    BE CAREFUL

PS i also cast alot of bullets for my reloading . this will save you money .
    good luck
    TOM

Can you please tell me where to get 5000 55 grain bullets for $275? I buy supplies for a friend to load for me and the cheapest 223 bullets I could find were $90 for 1000. Any leads would be appreciated.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Bass Pro in Anne Arundel County sells powder & primers IF...

You travels happen to take you North, check them out...

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Being in Waldorf,it would be easier for you to go to green top. They have a very nice reloading department. But have fun finding anything that pertains to .223 rote now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom