• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know some people just can't follow instructions, but is it possible that there is a valid engineering and safety reason the military and powder manufacturers use one inch thick wooden boxes?

NO, why would you think that???????

They obviously do it, because they also own stock in lumber companies, so want to increase the amount of lumber being sold. There is NO other reason for them to specify this.

BTW, for others, we are not talking about fine cabinet making work, a simple BOX of 2 layers of 1/2 plywood will work. To make it EASY to build, use 2x2 for the corners. One side is loose, with hinges and a hasp.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I know some people just can't follow instructions, but is it possible that there is a valid engineering and safety reason the military and powder manufacturers use one inch thick wooden boxes?

And the state of MD. How hard is it to build a 1" thick plywood box?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I build custom marine cabinetry and have been thinking about building a run of these military grade powder kegs. VV and Reloader height bottom shelf and Hodgdon height top shelf. Probably solid poplar or grab a sheet of 1" ply. I know it will not live up to Travelers expectations though so no picks here! just picking on you, no offense meant. Maybe even a karma give away. Any ideas as to how it should look? I see very few on google and is this necessary at < 5 lbs.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I build custom marine cabinetry and have been thinking about building a run of these military grade powder kegs. VV and Reloader height bottom shelf and Hodgdon height top shelf. Probably solid poplar or grab a sheet of 1" ply. I know it will not live up to Travelers expectations though so no picks here! just picking on you, no offense meant. Maybe even a karma give away. Any ideas as to how it should look? I see very few on google and is this necessary at < 5 lbs.

My expectations have nothing to do with it. I just pass along the information from the powder manufactures and fire departments. I don't want my fellow reloaders, or their families, getting hurt. For those that don't do carpentry, inexpensive boxes can be gotten on Ebay.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Off the shelf and already built kitchen wall cabinet from Lowe's.

Any pressure build-up would blow the back panel off.

A 30h x 12w would do the trick. Prolly have two adjustable shelves.

Plenty of room left over for bullets and dies and other tools too.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I am not a materials engineer, nor did I spend last night at a Holiday Inn express. That said, I believe the reason they call for all sides to be one inch wood, is that it is cheap, a poor conductor of heat, and will take a while for the fire to burn through to the powder. It looks like they want it to resist the powder lighting off at all, and minimizing pressure and resulting shrapnel if it does. With any luck, the fire department puts out the fire before the fun starts.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    5 LB limit is here:

https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=VnHWwhPClcQ=&tabid=590&mid=1439

11.05.d "Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain
    a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the
    loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black
    powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in
    the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless
    powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers
    and are possessed only for personal use in firearms."

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Is there any issues with storing Primers and Powder together in the same cabinet?

Is a garage that is insulated and drywalled, but no necessarily "climate controlled" an okay place to store both?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I would not store powder or primers anywhere other than inside a climate controlled space.

What is going on lately with people thinking powder and primers will suddenly explode or start burning on their own?

How about all of us not giving the GA ammunition for one of their sessions.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Is there any issues with storing Primers and Powder together in the same cabinet?

Is a garage that is insulated and drywalled, but no necessarily "climate controlled" an okay place to store both?

The manufacturers say keep them separate.

The primer is the explosive part, that gets the powder going.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I keep mine in a complete separate room in the house, inside a locker. Same with primers. This way when I go to reload for a certain caliber I'm always sure to grab the correct powder and primers. I also keep dies there too just to prevent any rust that could happen overtime. The basement where my reloading bench is isn't too humid, but it can get humid at times. Would rather keep the things susceptible to moisture in an area where there is none.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    I would not store powder or primers anywhere other than inside a climate controlled space.

What is going on lately with people thinking powder and primers will suddenly explode or start burning on their own?

How about all of us not giving the GA ammunition for one of their sessions.

But what if a lightning bug lands on my gun powder and lights ''it'' up?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I store my powder bottles in a plastic bin. I wipe the outside of the bottles and the bin with an antistatic dryer sheet both before and after each reloading session to discourage static buildup.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Julian Hatcher

For some really interesting reading on the behavior of smokeless powder in accidental/purposeful ignitions, get a hold of some of Julian Hatcher's writings. There are reprints available of his Notebooks and I found a 1960 NRA Reloaders Manual that contains some of his investigations/conclusions in the introductory chapters.
    Gen Hatcher spent his post military career investigating firearms and explosive accidents. He conducted experiments with igniting containers of smokeless powder and loaded ammunition, as well as investigating accidents where smokeless powder was involved. I recall one incident where a gunsmith apparently chambered a rifle round and accidentally fired it into a large keg (more that 25lb IIRC) of smokeless powder which was stored in the shop. The keg ignited and the smith died in the subsequent flash fire, but Hatcher found cartons of intact primers still sitting on the shelf!
    His conclusion was that the stored powder was about as dangerous as a similar stored amount of gasoline.
    I personally like an old magnet strip sealed refrigerator which is not locked- put your lock on the door of the room/garage. It will maintain the internal space and temperature and give you some minutes of fire resistance. The major consideration is not providing a bomb case.
    DocAitch

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    For some really interesting reading on the behavior of smokeless powder in accidental/purposeful ignitions, get a hold of some of Julian Hatcher's writings. There are reprints available of his Notebooks and I found a 1960 NRA Reloaders Manual that contains some of his investigations/conclusions in the introductory chapters.
    Gen Hatcher spent his post military career investigating firearms and explosive accidents. He conducted experiments with igniting containers of smokeless powder and loaded ammunition, as well as investigating accidents where smokeless powder was involved. I recall one incident where a gunsmith apparently chambered a rifle round and accidentally fired it into a large keg (more that 25lb IIRC) of smokeless powder which was stored in the shop. The keg ignited and the smith died in the subsequent flash fire, but Hatcher found cartons of intact primers still sitting on the shelf!
    His conclusion was that the stored powder was about as dangerous as a similar stored amount of gasoline.
    I personally like an old magnet strip sealed refrigerator which is not locked- put your lock on the door of the room/garage. It will maintain the internal space and temperature and give you some minutes of fire resistance. The major consideration is not providing a bomb case.
    DocAitch

You should e-mail this to every member of the General Assembly in Annapolis.

With courtesy copies to Obama, Schumer, Bloomberg, and Feinstein.

Title the e-mail: It's For The Children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom