• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Glock 19 or 26. Both are easily concealed.

Yep. I carry either depending on what "free" state I'm traveling in. Just got back from sunny Florida where I was carrying my 26. I like it better for shorts and tshirts and long car rides.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Go with a Glock 26 and stay with the 9mm. anything small with a larger caliber will be hard to control. Supplement the smaller caliber with good modern defensive loads and fast follow up shots. The 26 will feed most bullet designs.

the 26 is also capable of match grade accuracy. It will shoot < 2" groups at 25 yards if you do your part. Spend money on a good holster, good ammo and tritium nightsights ( Meprolights or TFO sights) , Plus two mag extensions make the gun easier to control and hold.. use the short factory mags for deep concealment.

the 26 is also capable of surviving abuse.. especially for CCW.. It will survive, sweat. moisture, LINT in the barrel,lack of lubrication or no lube at all. steel cased ammo, plus P loads. A small amount of lubrication is essential in really concealing a pistol. I can smell most CCW folks because of the distinct smell that gun lubes produce. I had a blued 1911 commanger that turned orange from rust after 1 week of IWB CCw is a leather holster.

there are many choices out there .. but for me, nothing beats a Glock 26 for CCW

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Old school I know but I've had a Beretta 92compact for 15 years without a malfunction. It's also all steel so if you run dry you can hit 'em with it! I have big hands as well and it's very comfortable and controllable.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The standard size XD is already comparable to the G19 , and several of the other choices mentioned.

As Joppa was first to point out , the XD (4in) is plenty carriable. Dress around the Gun. Use a reasonably suitable holster , and a good belt.

If you want somthing different for the heck of it for primary carry , or a pocket-ish gun for BUG , then those are other questions.

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Kahr K9, P9 or CW9 (based on your budget and plastic/metal preference). 7+1 9mm in a very slim and short form with 3.5" barrel and comfortable grip.

Ruger LC9, but grip maybe a bit too slim if you have big hands.
    Keltek P-11 if you prefer classic double action only.
    Sig 239 if you want classic design.
    Walther PPS

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I picked myself up a Kahr CW45 a couple weeks ago for a trip out west.
    I like to think I have big hands and I can get all my fingers on the grip, unlike my LCP.
    Shot it Friday. Recoil is not bad at all. I think the design which helps the recoil, also makes it dirty as hell afterwards.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    As others have said, you can pretty easily conceal most any size pistol (unless you only wear spandex bodysuits), it's all about picking the right holster and dressing appropriately.

With the right holster you can conceal most any pistol (see here for a lighthearted, semi-successful CC of a Desert Eagle).

I can't carry at work (company policy), but for occasions when I need to look nicer than a pair of jeans, there's always my pair of CCWBreakaways (google it) or something similar for my 1911.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    i have big hands also.. and i plan on carrying a sig 229.. not too small or big.. it hides perfectly under a shirt.

How high up on your hip does this holster place the pistol? My blackhawk iwb holster presses into my hip.

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    glock 19. big enough to shoot without feeling like a toy, and small enough to conceal. it is not a true compact, but is a good fit between a glock 26 and glock 17.

cluznar

Apr 12, 2012
    Compact handgun

Try a Ruger SR9c it comes with a 17 round mag and extension which make the grip bigger, also comes witha 10 round mag.
    Accurate, reliable, low recoil and nice trigger.

If you want something more concealable try a Taurus Slim. :)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    OP I have big hands also and I thought I could share some insight with you. Get a gun that you actually like to shoot. If you get one of these mouse guns you wont want to practice with it at the range for any length of time.I used to carry a Glock 36, but the grip was so narrow it was not comfortable to shoot. I am going to go with a 19, it is slightly wider but it fills my hand properly so I can get a better grip and I actually like to shoot it almost as much as a 17. I dont think you will find guns like the kahr pm9/m&p sheild/PF9 etc very comfortable.

With a good holster and no tight clothes any gun can conceal without becoming intolerable. A good comparison, I took my Sig 226 and put my M&P 9c on top of it. the 226 was only a inch longer if that and the slide of the M&P was thicker. Slide thickness is what you feel (IWB), the grip not so much. If you compared these guns measurements from the manufacturer website you would never think that. Whatever you do try whatever you buy first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom