Where can I shoot steel CASED ammo in Central MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    AGC x5 I’m a member too.
    Join a club, & the NRA then the range badge is $225 now I think - it will increase annually up to $250/year. I’m President @ Catonsville Scouters R&P Club - dues are $20/year to join then you can shoot just about anytime you want sun up to sundown. 58 - 50 yard pistol positions over 100 - 100 yard positions , 20 - 200 yard positions, trap, BB gun , and Action Shooting bays ( club event only). There are like 30 clubs to choose from - you won’t be sorry. Go to www.Agcrange.com check it out.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    AGC x5 I’m a member too.
    Join a club, & the NRA then the range badge is $225 now I think - it will increase annually up to $250/year. I’m President @ Catonsville Scouters R&P Club - dues are $20/year to join then you can shoot just about anytime you want sun up to sundown. 58 - 50 yard pistol positions over 100 - 100 yard positions , 20 - 200 yard positions, trap, BB gun , and Action Shooting bays ( club event only). There are like 30 clubs to choose from - you won’t be sorry. Go to www.Agcrange.com check it out.

Does AGC have pulley lines for targets at pistol range or are you limited to cold range walk-outs?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Does AGC have pulley lines for targets at pistol range or are you limited to cold range walk-outs?

You have to hoof it. In general, the pistol range is self governed with RSO check-ins so ceasefires can be called whenever within reason. Just don’t be the guy that needs a ceasefire every 5 minutes. Most folks are pretty good about pausing when people show up to setup.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You have to hoof it. In general, the pistol range is self governed with RSO check-ins so ceasefires can be called whenever within reason. Just don’t be the guy that needs a ceasefire every 5 minutes. Most folks are pretty good about pausing when people show up to setup.

This. AGC is a great range, especially for the money. I’ve never had to wait to get a lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've been a member with AGC for many years. It's worth the money.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Some of the training companies set out their pulley operated trolleys but you would need your own rig. It’s nothing real fancy but up front it’ll cost you a bit under $100 if you buy at Harbor Freight or Maybe Tractor Supply. You need your own target stands, I’ve got drawings in my profile here. The home made trolleys are generally 2x4 frames with lawn mower type tires - 100 feet of rope and a pulley or two And a couple sturdy stakes which won’t pull out too easy.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    2023 Badges are on sale now!

Standard AGC target frame for 50 and 100 yard ranges. 14" wide base
    https://www.mdshooters.com/media/target-frame-dimensioned.2536/
    Wanted to let you know that the target frame plans in the above link are in error. I found this out after bullding one exactly as shown in the plans.

The error is that the four 4" pieces that are supposed to lock the upper and lower frame sub-assemblies together are shown on the drawing as being located on the wrong side of the upper frame. When built this way the upper frame is not actually locked to the lower frame.

Putting the 4" pieces on the other side of the upper sub-frame locks the two sub-frames together as intended.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Sorry about that, I’ll see if I can find the original and fix that screw up.

I added a note for the drawing instructing the builder to attach the yellow 4” pieces to the narrow lower frame unit. That should sandwich the upper frame horizontal pieces properly.

Last edited:

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Sorry about that, I’ll see if I can find the original and fix that screw up.

I added a note for the drawing instructing the builder to attach the yellow 4” pieces to the narrow lower frame unit. That should sandwich the upper frame horizontal pieces properly.
    That will work, too. More than one way to skin a cat.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    A couple of tips for anyone planning to build a frame from the above drawings, based on my own experience building one this past week.

1. I found the assembled frame to be too tall for some of the lanes on the AGC pistol range, especially when the target is positioned close to the shooter - e.g., 3, 5 or 7 yards. So I built a second lower frame that was 36" tall instead of 48" tall. You could use that or any other suitable height for your own shooting needs. Just make sure keep the 2.25" distance of the top 14" horizontal piece from the top of the uprights, and that you maintain the 10" spacing between the upper two 14" pieces so they mesh properly with the upper subframe.

However, if you decide to do that, then you should definitely attach the 4" blocks to the upper subframe (back side, unlike the drawing, as I pointed out above). Otherwise you would have to install a separate set of four 4" blocks to each lower subframe.

2. I used screws instead of nails to assemble both subframes. While it takes more time to build the frames with screws, it has the big (IMO) advantage that when (not if) you shoot up any part of the frame to the point where it has to be replaced, it will be much easier to remove the shot-up part and replace it if everything is screwed together. I used 1-1/4" torx-head deck screws.

Important Caveat: Make sure to drive the screws in from the back side of the frame. That will make it less likely that if a bullet were to hit the screw it might ricochet. Also, if you were to hit the head of the screw with a bullet you may not be able to remove it if you need to replace that piece.

Also, I think the frame will be more rigid with screws, if that matters to you. I used four screws at each joint, and my frame is quite rigid.

Last edited:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    ‘Jacket’ is the term for what is outside the core of the projectile. I didn’t see anyone comment on that. So it’s steel in the jacket or core such as a penetrator as mentioned. Some places do care about the steel in bi-metal jackets because they do cause an effect like an erosion of sorts on their back stops with use over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom