Where can I shoot steel CASED ammo in Central MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I don't want to rely on the range rules as they aren't always clear. I recently was scolded at the range I frequent for shooting steel cased ammo, but the range rules didn't specify that I couldn't. The rules there state: "Frangible, tracer, armor piercing, incendiary and all other ammunition containing steel are prohibited."

Given that frangible, tracer, etc. are bullet types, I assumed (based on the context) that steel core ammo was what was prohibited. Apparently, they do not like steel cased ammo.

Given ammo prices the last few years, I have bought a fair amount of steel cased ammo (Russian before the ban, but also the Winchester stuff). Now I have a lot of ammo I can't use, unless there is a range that allows it. Given that they didn't expressly prohibit steel cased ammo, and just about everyone bans steel core rounds, I no longer trust wording that they don't allow steel ammo to mean steel core. I have to assume until I know otherwise that they will include steel cased ammo in that prohibition.

So, as asked in the title, what ranges in Central MD (preferably no more than an hour from Columbia) can I go to in order to use up my steel cased ammo?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You're going to have to go outdoor

Indoor ranges whine because they can't check the steel cased ammo with a magnet to see if it's steel core or steel cased or both. Steel core  might penetrate their range plating.

They could just read the box but that's too tough...

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I had bought a thousand rounds of Russian? steel case 556 a long time ago for plinking around the house. Turns out this stuff was sub moa so years later I was using it in 2&3 G competitions. I pulled a bullet and melted down the lead and bagged it in case anyone called me out for shooting steel core. As said most ranges just don’t allow it because it’s too much trouble to check. To your question I don’t know of a range that you definitely will not get called out. What caliber are we talking and are you looking for indoor or out.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I had bought a thousand rounds of Russian? steel case 556 a long time ago for plinking around the house. Turns out this stuff was sub moa so years later I was using it in 2&3 G competitions. I pulled a bullet and melted down the lead and bagged it in case anyone called me out for shooting steel core. As said most ranges just don’t allow it because it’s too much trouble to check. To your question I don’t know of a range that you definitely will not get called out. What caliber are we talking and are you looking for indoor or out.

9mm, 7.62x39, and some .223/5.56.

This same range is strict about no collecting brass unless it is yours since they collect it and sell it. I've actually had them push out my brass past the firing line while I was shooting, so practically speaking, you are even in a race with them to pick up your own brass. So, I was thinking they were just too lazy to separate it and didn't want it contaminating the brass they were selling to companies that sell reloaded ammo. I suppose I could be wrong and it could be that they are worried that if it is steel, the bullet may have steel too.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I know the weather is changing and many will opt to shoot inside but you may want to think about joining an outdoor range like AGC, TCSC and IWL. There you can shoot pistols and also let your rifles reach out a bit. I find membership dues very reasonable.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I know the weather is changing and many will opt to shoot inside but you may want to think about joining an outdoor range like AGC, TCSC and IWL. There you can shoot pistols and also let your rifles reach out a bit. I find membership dues very reasonable.

I have thought about it off and on through the years. I've moved back to Columbia, so the AGC on Marriottsville Road wouldn't be a bad drive. I used to go to Hap Baker some years ago, but I hear it is just too crowded to be worth it anymore.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Usually steel cased ammo dont matter. Its the steel core bullet they dont allow. I have shot many steel cased 7.62x39 but non magnetic bullet. I check mine before I buy usually. I have a few small magnets I keep around. I have bought white generic boxed ammo and says range safe printed in black or non magnetic. Metal case dont matter as put the magnet on the tip of the projectile and will tell you right away. It wont pick up the metal case. PPU and other have non magnetic ammo in bulk too and in white generic boxes.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It isn’t simply steel core. Bimetal jackets are a no. Anything that can attract a magnet. Bimetallic is more likely to damage a bullet trap at an indoor range and can also spark.

But yes it’s mostly they don’t want to be bothered to check.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have thought about it off and on through the years. I've moved back to Columbia, so the AGC on Marriottsville Road wouldn't be a bad drive. I used to go to Hap Baker some years ago, but I hear it is just too crowded to be worth it anymore.
    Unless you like to be completely alone, you'll seldom find AGC too crowded. Yes, there are a lot of shooters on nice weather weekends, but I have never had to wait for a spot on the 100yd range. You need to join one of the clubs there to qualify to purchase a range badge. As luck would have it, MSI is now one of those clubs...so you get that extra perk out of your MSI membership. :innocent0

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I’ll second AGC. Been a member for about 9 years. I enjoy shooting outside way more than any indoor range I’ve been to. Even if it’s hot or cold within reason…

I don’t believe I’ve ever had to wait either. I’ll check the calendar especially on weekends and depending on what I want to shoot, I may alter when I go if there is some big event. But even with a scheduled shoot going on, you will most likely not have an issue getting a spot.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    The indoor range "no steel" rule has been in effect for years now. Have to go outdoors. Probably 5-7 years ago, I was having a friendly conversation with the owner of one my local indoor range and he expressed that it was mandated due to Insurance - because of the increased risk of fire. :shrug:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Many folks running ranges are too imprecise with their use of a small, high-power rare earth magnet to determine whether the magnet attracts a steel case, but there is no attraction to the bullet, meaning there is no steel in there. SMH.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    AGC is your best bet. I been to several indoor ranges around MD and never went back after I moved to Columbia and joined AGC. It should only be a 20 minute from Columbia. You're welcome to reach out to me if you want to shoot there as a guest. I'm mostly there on the weekends.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Ok I've worked a 10 hr day and this is hurting my head. Steel case = Fire Risk? Can someone shed some light? My wife and I shoot at MSAR and to get us started, I bought case of Russian 9mm, in steel. Nothing on MSAR's web site about not shooting steel. Nothing mentioned the first dozen times we went there. The most recent trip they asked "you are shooting all brass casing, right?" To which I said yes since I had brought a bunch of handloads I never got around to shooting in the early 2000's.
    The indoor range "no steel" rule has been in effect for years now. Have to go outdoors. Probably 5-7 years ago, I was having a friendly conversation with the owner of one my local indoor range and he expressed that it was mandated due to Insurance - because of the increased risk of fire. :shrug:

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I always figured indoor ranges are just too lazy to separate the steel out of buckets of brass?

I wonder if they cringe at aluminum cased ammo? Maybe some do?

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I don't want to rely on the range rules as they aren't always clear. I recently was scolded at the range I frequent for shooting steel cased ammo, but the range rules didn't specify that I couldn't. The rules there state: "Frangible, tracer, armor piercing, incendiary and all other ammunition containing steel are prohibited."

<snip>

To me, the “containing steel” portion would be the key phrase. The jacket is steel, so the ammunition contains steel.

Last edited:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I always figured indoor ranges are just too lazy to separate the steel out of buckets of brass?

I wonder if they cringe at aluminum cased ammo? Maybe some do?
    Separating steel should be pretty quick. They might make a tool that would help. :D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It's probably easier for a range to just make a blanket "no steel anything " policy, but a magnetic push pin is a pretty handy tool for identifying steel in projectiles:
    20221018_170533.jpg

20221018_170540.jpg

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick allows steel cased ammunition (no steel core bullets). They go through quite a bit of it with some of their full auto rentals. Having said that, I haven’t been there for about 18 months but I know of no reason for them to change. RSOs use a bar magnet roller “broom” to pick up steel casings from the line before collecting the regular stuff so it wasn’t a difficult thing to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom