• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Butt-Out is a good tool for field dressing. I've always had trouble with the cut around the anus and this solves that problem. It's not a necessity, but a good tool and IMHO worth the $10.

On my last deer I tried the gutless field dressing method. I think that's my new thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNVZXbbIuo

The "Butt-Out" is the greatest hunting tool ever invented.

Just remember which side of the knot to make the cut.

As for the rest of these semi-sexual, deer gutting, leg spreading, hair shaving scenerios, I think I need a smoke.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    prob what my neighbors did when I hung my deer in the tree to take it to the butchers the next day...:lol2: they never said anything but they didn't like me killing squirrels so I know deer really got them mad....

Yeah just until the found out how much more backstraps a Deer had versus a squirrel. If they are like some people I know they don't have a thing to say to you until you kill a Deer and then all about got any meat to give away. I just tell people "this deer didn't have backstraps. Maybe the next one will".

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Love the kick stand reference. That made me laugh and you were right. I can gut a deer in less then 10. I have seen people with a saw that is pure crazy.

I can't figure out why you would tie it to a tree it is not going anywhere. Are you skinning the deer to?

I'm glad you understood it. Thanks.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah just until the found out how much more backstraps a Deer had versus a squirrel. If they are like some people I know they don't have a thing to say to you until you kill a Deer and then all about got any meat to give away. I just tell people "this deer didn't have backstraps. Maybe the next one will".

:lol2: yeah the lazy people that don't want to invest the time or cant bring themselves to kill something...do that in my experience..:sad20:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My neighbor in Bethesda used to do the same thing. He woud hang the carcassr in his front yard. We used to laugh our asses off when the Bolsheviks would drive down the street with their mouths agape and eyes as big as pies.

Freakin' hilarious.

:lol2:

Man I'm a hunter and do not have any lack of pride in that and I will not, under any circumstance, hide anything from anyone because they don't like it. I'll clean Geese, Turkey, Squirrels, you name it right in my yard and who sees just has to look the other way. I of course take all of my Deer to the walk-in, so, I have no reason to hang a Deer hanging in my yard from my garage, but, if I had no other choice I'd hang that sucker right in the yard no questions or thought given about it.

I don't wanna make this a PETA thread, but, I have really pissed some people off about their opinions on my hunting and I will not stand down because they don't like what I do. I will actually make the situation worse for them if possible.

I told one lady something like, "When you start putting food on my table I'll stop hunting". I'm still hunting.

Poor Chuck's Butcher Shop in Bryans Road got so many complaints several years ago from the city folk that migrated from D.C. that he had to put up blue tarps to hide the blood, gore, insanity, and dead animals. I call it "facts of Life" but some people, as we've heard that story, think their meat comes from Safeway and Food Lion.

Some folks in this world are really silly about that dead animal stuff. I recall one instance many many years ago where I was skinning a Deer and the pet Dog was right there with me and I had an old neighbor lady ask me if "I would murder and eat that Dog too ? I said, "ma'am if I am starving... that Dog's gonna get BBQ sauce. I hear they taste great with Teriyaki as well". I kept a straight face, but, I thought that poor old woman was going to puke.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

The "Butt-Out" is the greatest hunting tool ever invented.

Just remember which side of the knot to make the cut.

As for the rest of these semi-sexual, deer gutting, leg spreading, hair shaving scenerios, I think I need a smoke.

You silly fool. The greatest hunting tool ever invented was the modern gun ( just any Cro-Mag out there... It's so easy even a Cave Man... well, you know.)

HOWEVER, I will second the claim of the Butt-Out tool. I have been carving Deer anus with a knife my hole life and my first experience with the great orange arrow looking thing was about two-years ago. My buddy bought one, who like me has been using a knife his whole life as well, He said, "Man you gotta try this thing !!!" I was like "umm yeah ok hand it here".

Once you understand how the contraption works it's actually really easy. I'm not going to say faster than my knife, but, easy for those who haven't learned how to butcher a Deer yet.

The only problem is, you don't know how many turns you're going to have to make before you get somewhere, I go in with the knife and cut a circle and move on. Getting the membrane off the thing is another hassle. My knife comes out clean the first time.

Anyway, the Butt-Out tool works on the same principle as a Cork-Screw for a wine bottle. With that said, I will back it for the less experienced, BUT, I still don't own one.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I tie the front legs up - gravity helps the gut flows nicely ...
    You silly people, let gravity work for you... it's much cleaner,
    you step aside as the guts drain...
    and you laugh at ME!! ha ha

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I second your buttout not recommendation.
    The 1st plastic one broke for my friend.
    Others have mutilated intestine.
    Just use your supersharp fine tip knife, cut deeply around and outside the anus
    then pull out what is the intestine, tie a knot in it and continue gutting...
    The deers arm tied up help gravity flow...

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    I must be the only one that cuts the hip bone (takes 5 seconds) and then cut around the anus and pull everything out in one fluid motion.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I learned how to gut deer by volunteering to gut my buddies deer whenever they shot one lol. You can watch all the youtube videos in the world but it only takes one hands on experience to learn. Now I can gut one and be on my way in 5 minutes. No butt out tool or hanging just put them on a slight incline and cut the windpipe and pull it all out as a whole.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I learned how to gut deer by volunteering to gut my buddies deer whenever they shot one lol. You can watch all the youtube videos in the world but it only takes one hands on experience to learn. Now I can gut one and be on my way in 5 minutes. No butt out tool or hanging just put them on a slight incline and cut the windpipe and pull it all out as a whole.

I can not agree with you more.

The only problem is I never have a hill or a tree to tie my Deer to. I'm still lost about the tree tying thing. I can't even envision what that would look like.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I can not agree with you more.

The only problem is I never have a hill or a tree to tie my Deer to. I'm still lost about the tree tying thing. I can't even envision what that would look like.
    Envision this. Take a bungee cord and hook both front leg ankle tendons. I then hang the cord over the rear rack on my 4 wheeler. It gives the deer enough downward angle to let the blood and guts slide right out.

I cut the pelvis bone also. I think it makes getting the anus out easier.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    also, anyone ever heard of having a bit of parachord with you and just using a sapling lashed to the legs and pulling the deer upside down and doing your buisness. I have gutted and drained deer in the field like this for years; however, i'm a bit bigger/stronger than most so i have the hump to pull it into the air by myself.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    :lol:
    Two knives ?!?!?!?!? and tie what to a tree for why ?

Did you learn field dressing from a book ? :DI don't tie any Deer to any tree for any thing. You straddle that thing and wrap them hind legs around behind your knees like you're getting ready to make love to it and you get to dressing that Deer. You're just playing with all that tree tying and complete cutlery set. Nice thing about Bucks is they come with "kick stands"

I don't get the "throat" part at all. You start your chest cavity incision at the base of the sternum and work down to the anus. You mean you start cutting way up north on the throat ??? Say it ain't so.

Jesus I'm gonna have to make of them thar' YouTube video's to show you how to gut a Deer in 10 minutes or less and get on down the road. I have other things to do and by the time you get from the throat to sternum I have fallen asleep.

Just remember that wind pipe is your pulling handle. You do not let go of the wind pipe after you cut it. You pull up on the wind pipe and make your membrane cuts on either side of the entrails and you keep pulling on the wind pipe you like you are pulling clothes out of a suitcase on hangers. That wind pipe is your best friend when dressing a deer.

Now that I done picking on you. Good luck with your Doe hunts. I do respect you for the Doe only thing and I completely understand that situation. The Zen Master of all things Buck just had to steer in a better direction of field dressing. LOL you know what I mean from the other thread.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom