When carrying: What’s the law say about putting down a suffering deer or other animal if hit in a car accident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have slit the throat on many a deer over the years, two were road hit, one a well racked buck. The others were during my years of hunting in varying situations and more than one was racked, I worry more about the hooves, but if you approach from the back, they don't really play in. I have never had an issue getting a handle on a deer and putting it down quickly and quietly, regardless of where I was (even on neighboring property), where shooting it would have surely raised issues. It ain't that hard and yes, I always have a knife in my pocket capable of doing the job. It ain't that hard, you just need to get in the right position to control it's head and have a sharp blade. It is painless and takes a few seconds to expire.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    If you have a DNR id number, you can check in your road kill and get a confirmation number, take it to the butcher or whatever. Can't answer about legality of smoking a deer on the side of the road. I'd think its going to be looked at as a case by case basis.
    For those interested, you have to go through the website because the app doesn't have the functionality. Ask us how we know... Lol

Screenshot_2022-12-02-19-39-14-25~2.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A fallen tree branch was extending into the road from a steep embankment once, and a couple of BaltCo Leos were standing around waiting for some sort of County maintainance person to deal with it.
    I climbed up there with my sawzall and cleared it. Took two batteries.

For deer, I have my BFH..

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I just drag them off the road and report it. Most of the time the meat is too bruised and bloody to use it.
    ^^^^This^^^^ I’ve seen several road kills that friends brought to me to process. The meat was bruised up and bloodshot. Just not worth it.

2500yards

Oct 12, 2009
    Before carrying did you otherwise stop and dispatch a struck animal? Do you have a tire iron? Don’t be anxious to use your gun. A lot of things can go wrong most of which are related to other people and not you and your firearm.
    Yes, I took care of one myself once. Please don’t misunderstand or assume otherwise why I asked. I’m not in the least bit anxious to shoot anything. I was only curious if it was breaking the law or possibly acceptable to help an animal in pain after an accident since I would have the means to help it not suffer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Yes, I took care of one myself once. Please don’t misunderstand or assume otherwise why I asked. I’m not in the least bit anxious to shoot anything. I was only curious if it was breaking the law or possibly acceptable to help an animal in pain after an accident since I would have the means to help it not suffer.
    Understand.
    All I’m saying is there are a million ways for things to go sideways even when doing the right thing.
    This topic wouldn’t have even been a question a few decades ago but now we live in an upside down world.

cmartin

Jun 11, 2009
    Know of a couple folks that were asked by LE to dispatch a deer with their Bow and Arrow to save the paperwork. Several years ago we had a doe break a leg and get hung upside down in the fence of a drainage pond. DNR said they would not respond since it was not a threat to humans. Some kind person ended the suffering quietly with a bow.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    I'm currently going through Driver's Education, and the instructor said that if you were to hit a deer, you would call 911, and when the police arrive, they would, again in the instructor's words, ask if you have a gun so that you could put the deer down so that the police do not use their ammunition or tags.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm currently going through Driver's Education, and the instructor said that if you were to hit a deer, you would call 911, and when the police arrive, they would, again in the instructor's words, ask if you have a gun so that you could put the deer down so that the police do not use their ammunition or tags.
    They are everywhere

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    This is a new 911 process ^^^ ... Try that one on the call center.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    A friend of mine's neighbor had a deer hung up on a wrought iron fence. Some MoCo county agency came out and shot it, and said animal control is in charge of removing it. Animal control said it would be days before they got out to it, so we snagged it. It was still piping hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom