When can you hunt with handgun in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What county do you plan to hunt in with a handgun? You mention DE. I know Cecil is a rifle county, so you would be OK in Cecil.

And I agree that modern handgun hunting should be allowed in shotgun counties too. Slug guns can be accurate to beyond 100 yards, and carry the slug round as much distance as a handgun round can. Vs a rifle round which can go much further than both. It would be neat to hunt deer with a modern handgun in Cecil, but I a) no HQL and no previous heavy hitter caliber with 6" or over barrel, b) hunting with AR this season to shove it in the faces of antis. I've got some hunting rounds in the 60 something grains and 1300-ish foot pounds.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I seem to remember the same thing from way back when. However that could've changed over the years; just like way back then the handgun minimum muzzle energy requirement was 600 foot pounds of muzzle energy and now it's a minimum of 700 foot pounds of muzzle energy thus eliminating the .357 magnum.

At least attempting to. There are commercial loadings for 357 magnum from Underwood and Buffalo Bore that are well above 700 ft/lbs at the muzzle (as measured from 4-inch barrels - so even more energy from 6-inch or longer barrels).

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yeah, at least we can hunt with semi-autos.

Seriously though, minus "no Sunday hunting" it seems like all of the regulations make way too much sense. Not sure how that happened.

Yup, EXACTLY where I was going. Remember the days where the magazine had to be plugged for shotgun and no more than 5 round capacity for rifle? People don't realize how much better it has gotten in many ways.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    At least attempting to. There are commercial loadings for 357 magnum from Underwood and Buffalo Bore that are well above 700 ft/lbs at the muzzle (as measured from 4-inch barrels - so even more energy from 6-inch or longer barrels).

Try proving that when Johnny Law stops you. Regardless 357 is marginal at best on deer sized game, just use a 44 and be done with it.......... (and the deer)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't handgun hunt for deer. I would want a rifle for both increased power and improved aim.

Just stating that the change in law, despite the intent, has been obviated by commercial options.

Not sure how the DNR can eyeball a round and divine muzzle energy, but if I were packing a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a 6.5 barrel (in addition to a rifle), and they asked to inspect an unfired round, I wouldn't hesitate to give them one.

Plenty of smartphones in the woods that can quickly find these webpages ...
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/357magnum180grainlfngcboxof50.aspx
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/357magnum158grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I love handgun hunting. It adds challenge in the same way archery hunting does. I like the freedom and simplicity of carrying a revolver in a holster, especially in a treestand. I simply think it's a shame they are not allowed statewide, probably mainly due to political reasons and not safety.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yup, EXACTLY where I was going. Remember the days where the magazine had to be plugged for shotgun and no more than 5 round capacity for rifle? People don't realize how much better it has gotten in many ways.

Yeah, and that was back in the day when killing a single deer was all you got for the season. Nowadays, you can fill up a truck. Haven't checked in a while, but the round limitation on deer hunting was 8 last I checked. If the mag had capacity for more than 8, then you could only have 8 loaded. Has that changed at all?

Used to be that no more than 3 shells could be used on snow geese. Well, that regulation went out the window with the population explosion. Used to be no electronic callers for snow geese either. Well, that regulation went out the window too.

Since we are on the subject, somebody explain to me why nothing larger than T shot can be used on waterfowl. Also, explain to me why waterfowl cannot be shot while resting on water, or deer cannot be shot while swimming in water. Is it because the game will get lost. I guess the entire waterfowl resting on water is to prevent somebody from strafing them and killing 20 at a time. I mean, I just creep up, get them to jump off the water, and kill 2 to 3 per shot.

Somebody please explain wanton waste to me. If you blow a hole through a dove such that there is nothing left, and do not take it home with you, that is considered wanton waste. Actually saw somebody get a warning for this one. They want the deer and snow geese killed, but if you do not consume them and/or properly dispose of them, then you are in deep crap.

So, what exactly is the possession limit? Is it a violation to have more than 10 Canada geese in the fridge?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I plan to keep the cartridge box in my truck in case DNR comes sniffing around. It says on them what the foot pounds are. I figure my 18" barrel will be somewhat close to the factory measure for a 24" barrel, and still keep me within that 1200+ range (in my case somewhere around 1300, since both are a little over that). Same deal can be had if you are handgun hunting- keep your Buffalo Bore or whatever box close, and hopefully it has the foot pounds of 700+ printed on it.

Now, if someone here has actually taken some deer with a handgun? I am curious about hits and how far a deer goes, damage inside, etc.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Fabrosman- wahhhh I want to hunt ducks with a punt gun! LOL

Let's go steal one from the Decoy museum! LMAO

And using a sink box LOL

And pen raised mallards tied by strings and anchored...hee hee

I also wish we could trap deer. Man, I would thin them out in no time!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Fabrosman- wahhhh I want to hunt ducks with a punt gun! LOL

Let's go steal one from the Decoy museum! LMAO

And using a sink box LOL

And pen raised mallards tied by strings and anchored...hee hee

I also wish we could trap deer. Man, I would thin them out in no time!

Federal waterfowl regulations explained (Might give some a headache):

http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html

Does one really need a sink box to kill sea ducks? These ducks are so stupid I am surprised they are not extinct.

Then again, I guess they see boats on the sea all day long anyway.

Somewhat ironic that we can use pit blinds on land and completely conceal ourselves under the earth, but we cannot do the same thing on water. Not that I have any desire to be in the water in a bathtub with its lip barely above the water's edge.

We are allowed to use bait on deer, which makes it way too easy as it is.

How about pen raised mallards thrown out of a sling shot? That's some fun right there.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I wouldn't handgun hunt for deer. I would want a rifle for both increased power and improved aim.

Just stating that the change in law, despite the intent, has been obviated by commercial options.

Not sure how the DNR can eyeball a round and divine muzzle energy, but if I were packing a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a 6.5 barrel (in addition to a rifle), and they asked to inspect an unfired round, I wouldn't hesitate to give them one.

Plenty of smartphones in the woods that can quickly find these webpages ...
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/357magnum180grainlfngcboxof50.aspx
    http://www.underwoodammo.com/357magnum158grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

57Yd. shot with a .44 mag. with reddot sight off hand. Dropped in his tracks. He field dressed @ 210#.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    57Yd. shot with a .44 mag. with reddot sight off hand. Dropped in his tracks. He field dressed @ 210#.

Nicely done. My comment was limited to me as I haven't hunted before and would want to be more confident in my skills (as both a hunter and a revolver marksman) before I used a handgun.

I did finally get my license/permit, have my rifle sighted in (a 700 in 308), and have two different friends in the north parts of Frederick county that have approx 60 acres of land each. However finding time on the calendar is always an issue ...

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Nicely done. My comment was limited to me as I haven't hunted before and would want to be more confident in my skills (as both a hunter and a revolver marksman) before I used a handgun.

I did finally get my license/permit, have my rifle sighted in (a 700 in 308), and have two different friends in the north parts of Frederick county that have approx 60 acres of land each. However finding time on the calendar is always an issue ...

You gotta make time. Good luck this season!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

The loads above ^^^ didn't exist way back in the day. Back then there were only about two factory loads that claimed to achieve barely over 600 fp ME out of an 8 3/8" barrel.

I was really surprised when I read the MD reg on rifle magazine changes regarding deer rifle hunting about 20 years ago from can't hold any more than five rounds to any size mag you wanna' use so long as it's not loaded with any more than 5 (or is it 8) rounds.

Try proving that when Johnny Law stops you. Regardless 357 is marginal at best on deer sized game, just use a 44 and be done with it.......... (and the deer)

I've taken some deer back in the day with a 6" Python .357 magnum. With a well placed hit inside of 30 yards, it does the job well. I've also taken deer with .44 magnum 8 3/8" barrel out to and slightly beyond 50 yards, just make sure there is a good backstop beyond the deer being shot, in and out of two deer with one shot at 45 yards. This was using 240 grain Samson (IMI) ammo, some stuff that has some real poop behind it.

I love handgun hunting. It adds challenge in the same way archery hunting does. I like the freedom and simplicity of carrying a revolver in a holster, especially in a treestand. I simply think it's a shame they are not allowed statewide, probably mainly due to political reasons and not safety.

Also not too many people can shoot handgun well at all, not to mention higher recoiling calibers.

I plan to keep the cartridge box in my truck in case DNR comes sniffing around. It says on them what the foot pounds are. I figure my 18" barrel will be somewhat close to the factory measure for a 24" barrel, and still keep me within that 1200+ range (in my case somewhere around 1300, since both are a little over that). Same deal can be had if you are handgun hunting- keep your Buffalo Bore or whatever box close, and hopefully it has the foot pounds of 700+ printed on it.

Now, if someone here has actually taken some deer with a handgun? I am curious about hits and how far a deer goes, damage inside, etc.

The furthest any deer went away on me (handgunning) was 50 to 75 yards. The furthest (75 yds) was the deer that was hit second in line behind the deer that received the shot first (yeah, 2 for 1) from the .44 magnum (see my above posting). The shot took out both lungs on this second in line deer and the first in line deer took it through the head between the ear and eye (aiming point) and dropped like a lead balloon. The .357 magnum had enough penetration to get into the vitals and do the job on a broadside shot at 30 to 40 yards though I wouldn't push that cartridge beyond 40 yards as I had my doubts it would not get the job done well.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Although I was not able to harvest one in this manner, I hunted in Frederick County last year with a 4x-scoped Super Redhawk in .44mag and really appreciated not having to lug around a long gun along with my other stuff when packing in under low light conditions. It seemed to always rain on those days last season so I also appreciated the ease of cleanup/re-oiling a stainless revolver afterwards instead of getting my long gun wood stocks saturated and having to maintain a blued finish properly after a day of getting drenched.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    So, have there been any incidents where game wardens took some handloaded ammo and had it tested to see if it met minimum energy requirements? How do they measure barrel length? With a tape measure or a rod down the barrel to rest upon the bullet in a chamber? How thorough are the game wardens when checking this stuff out in the woods?

Kind of dumb questions, I'll admit, but I sure would like to use my Colt New Service .45 Colt stoked with heavy 255 grain cast lead handloads. I know in my heart it has the moxie to kill a deer cleanly at short handgun ranges, but I don't want to get in a pissing contest with the DNR either.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    So, have there been any incidents where game wardens took some handloaded ammo and had it tested to see if it met minimum energy requirements? How do they measure barrel length? With a tape measure or a rod down the barrel to rest upon the bullet in a chamber? How thorough are the game wardens when checking this stuff out in the woods?

Kind of dumb questions, I'll admit, but I sure would like to use my Colt New Service .45 Colt stoked with heavy 255 grain cast lead handloads. I know in my heart it has the moxie to kill a deer cleanly at short handgun ranges, but I don't want to get in a pissing contest with the DNR either.

If I were you I'd call the DNR for clarification and then ask the person to email you their opinion so that you can print the email and carry it with you. I've been checked by the DNR twice (duck hunting) and the guy tossed all of my stuff and went through every item I had in a desperate, unsuccessful search for a violation. Not a big deal, but it took like 45 minutes and was not enjoyable. You'll benefit from anything that makes the theoretical officer's job easier.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    The loads above ^^^ didn't exist way back in the day. Back then there were only about two factory loads that claimed to achieve barely over 600 fp ME out of an 8 3/8" barrel.

I was really surprised when I read the MD reg on rifle magazine changes regarding deer rifle hunting about 20 years ago from can't hold any more than five rounds to any size mag you wanna' use so long as it's not loaded with any more than 5(or is it 8) rounds.

I've taken some deer back in the day with a 6" Python .357 magnum. With a well placed hit inside of 30 yards, it does the job well. I've also taken deer with .44 magnum 8 3/8" barrel out to and slightly beyond 50 yards, just make sure there is a good backstop beyond the deer being shot, in and out of two deer with one shot at 45 yards. This was using 240 grain Samson (IMI) ammo, some stuff that has some real poop behind it.

Also not too many people can shoot handgun well at all, not to mention higher recoiling calibers.

The furthest any deer went away on me (handgunning) was 50 to 75 yards. The furthest (75 yds) was the deer that was hit second in line behind the deer that received the shot first (yeah, 2 for 1) from the .44 magnum (see my above posting). The shot took out both lungs on this second in line deer and the first in line deer took it through the head between the ear and eye (aiming point) and dropped like a lead balloon. The .357 magnum had enough penetration to get into the vitals and do the job on a broadside shot at 30 to 40 yards though I wouldn't push that cartridge beyond 40 yards as I had my doubts it would not get the job done well.

I thought it was up to 10 at one point.(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom