When can you hunt with handgun in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nattyboh325

Nov 5, 2014
    Sorry I couldn't find the answer.
    Gun wise I'm good to deer hunt as I have a .44 mag with 8 3/8" barrel

But. I cannot find during what seasons I sm allowed to deer hunt with my pistol? Could someone please help me on this

Thank you

I would add that this cannot accompany a rifle or other firearm while hunting. It's the only weapon you can use at the time(no back-ups) unless that has changed.

Never heard/read that anywhere.Been checked many times by DNR with rifle slung over shoulder and pistol on hip and the only thing said was the pistol had to be legal (6" barrel,minimum cal. for deer).

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Rifle season in rifle counties unless things have changed.
    Exactly. Period.
    I would add that this cannot accompany a rifle or other firearm while hunting. It's the only weapon you can use at the time(no back-ups) unless that has changed.
    No.

I would normally ask for a link to the law on this, but merely suggest you not waste your time looking and simply double check your sources. Do not confuse archery and muzzleloader regs with rifle/handgun regs.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Never heard/read that anywhere.Been checked many times by DNR with rifle slung over shoulder and pistol on hip and the only thing said was the pistol had to be legal (6" barrel,minimum cal. for deer).

I know it was law back in the '80s cause I used to handgun hunt in Garrett Co. I think it was in the rule book back then.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If the handgun is a muzzloading handgun capabale of accepting 60 grains of black powder, then muzzloader season.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Not to sidetrack, but I never could wrap my head around why we can't use handguns in shotgun/muzzleloader zones in MD. Modern shotgun slugs and sabot slugs out of muzzleloaders have equal or superior ballistics to say a .44mag out of a revolver. I guess handguns are just too scary.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not to sidetrack, but I never could wrap my head around why we can't use handguns in shotgun/muzzleloader zones in MD. Modern shotgun slugs and sabot slugs out of muzzleloaders have equal or superior ballistics to say a .44mag out of a revolver. I guess handguns are just too scary.

You can, if you have a BP cylinder.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012

There is only a codified ban on having a firearm with you during bow season while deer hunting with a bow according to the DNR rule book, unless it is for personal protection in region A and the firearm is a pistol. I haven't seen anything to suggest that you can't have a backup gun if you were so inclined. Also, as long as you aren't bow hunting during bow season, you could bring a .22lr pistol and a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season, for example, and deer/squirrel hunt.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Meh, not that big a deal more of a standard than anything else, gotta have a baseline. "This" state has more reasonable hunting firearm regs than many others do ESPECIALLY considering the amount of chickenshit in other 2A areas.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Meh, not that big a deal more of a standard than anything else, gotta have a baseline. "This" state has more reasonable hunting firearm regs than many others do ESPECIALLY considering the amount of chickenshit in other 2A areas.

Yeah, at least we can hunt with semi-autos.

Seriously though, minus "no Sunday hunting" it seems like all of the regulations make way too much sense. Not sure how that happened.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    The common rule back then as was told to me(?), was the only time one could hunt carrying two weapons was during "primitive" seasons is: archery and black powder. I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyone's ass. That's what I was told back then. If I'm wrong, then I was told wrong .

Nattyboh325

Nov 5, 2014
    When I can use

I know either of my pistols are eligable for Maryland and Delaware. Both are .44 mag and 8 3/8" barrels. Either gonna use my Taurus raging bull or smith Wesson model 29

My question is during what seasons in Maryland and Delaware can I use them to hunt. Only them. No second gun

Is it only rifle season in rifle counties in Maryland?

Can you use them during shotgun or muzzleload seasons? Even tho they are regular pistols not black powder.

In Delaware can I use it during rifle, shotgun, muzzle season?

Just trying not I find out the times in md and de I can hunt deer with my 44

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I know either of my pistols are eligable for Maryland and Delaware. Both are .44 mag and 8 3/8" barrels. Either gonna use my Taurus raging bull or smith Wesson model 29

My question is during what seasons in Maryland and Delaware can I use them to hunt. Only them. No second gun

Is it only rifle season in rifle counties in Maryland?

Can you use them during shotgun or muzzleload seasons? Even tho they are regular pistols not black powder.

In Delaware can I use it during rifle, shotgun, muzzle season?

Just trying not I find out the times in md and de I can hunt deer with my 44

Handgun Regulations

• Modern and muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt all game mammals (except beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters), turkeys during the fall season only, quail, pheasants, ruffed grouse, crows, nutria, and woodchucks.

• Modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more.
    • Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer and bear hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge.
    • Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season with one exception: in Deer Management Region A, persons 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection while hunting deer in the Archery Season if that handgun: (1) has a barrel length of less than six inches; (2) does not have a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device attached; and (3) is not used to kill wildlife wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow.

For modern handguns, hunt with them during gun season. For blackpowder handguns, hunt with them during muzzleloader or gun season.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

I know it was law back in the '80s cause I used to handgun hunt in Garrett Co. I think it was in the rule book back then.

I seem to remember the same thing from way back when. However that could've changed over the years; just like way back then the handgun minimum muzzle energy requirement was 600 foot pounds of muzzle energy and now it's a minimum of 700 foot pounds of muzzle energy thus eliminating the .357 magnum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom