• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    To me the outrageously unlikely is just that .38sp and .357 mag aren't terribly common anymore. Coming across ammo you might be able to use should be a consider I think. However you are better off with a rifle or pistol that is going to use a very common caliber. Which IMHO in the states probably means .223/5.56 as number one, then .308/7.62, then 7.62x39 and finally .30-06 with just about everything else in the distance.

A 12 gauge shotgun is also likely to run across ammo it can use. For a pistol 9mm, full stop. Well, maybe .40.

A few things:
    1) I mentioned the wheel gun not only because it can handle two rounds, but because the maintenance of a wheel gun is far simpler than a semi. Less to go wrong.
    2) I also mentioned taking my Glock 23 and the Lone Wolf Distributors 9mm adapter barrel to give me flexibility in the semi auto world. I'd find room for my Kel-Tec Sub2000 that uses Glock 23 mags because it is small, lightweight, good to at least 110m, and its simple blow-back design means there is less to go wrong.
    3) I agree about the .223/5.56 assessment because of the vast availability and relatively low weight of the ammo. While bugging out, I'd definitely want to bring my .223 bolt-action rifle. Bolt action rifles have few potential failure points.
    4) if I was going in a vehicle, I'd toss in my Mosin-Nagant and the 1,000 or so rounds I have for it. Very durable, very accurate, very simple.
    5) Following the principle for ammo flexibility, I would think that AR owners should consider getting a .22 LR adapter because between .223/5.56 and .22 LR, they'll have a far greater chance of getting other ammo when theirs runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Because if you break an ejector on a AK pattern, it's out of commission until you can weld in a new ejector/rail. I'm not betting on being able to find a spot welder in the off-chance it does happen. Build quality and magazine fitment varies a lot, not an ideal setup for when shit goes sideways.

I respect the hell out of the platform, it's been doing it's job for over 60 years. But in THIS country, the AR is a better choice, solely based on popularity and parts availability.

How long would it take me to break 5 different ejectors? I'm thinking we would all be dead or the zombie threat would be contained by that point. In my opinion having just one of anything firearm related is misguided. Strength in quantity. As long as that quantity is also reliable. Hence the AK and Glock selections. I do like the variation in opinions this thread is generating.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Colt AR with magpul furniture and EO Tech Zombie stopper red dot co witnessed with magpul flip up sights. Sig 226 as backup with pistol bayonet affixed.

Or a 10/22.

Also considered saying Keltec sub 2 k with Glock as sidearm.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I will have my full arsenal available since Im not running. Will pop whatever needs to be popped until ammo is depleted (could be weeks :D). Then a cast iron skillet and knife will have to do.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I will have my full arsenal available since Im not running. Will pop whatever needs to be popped until ammo is depleted (could be weeks :D). Then a cast iron skillet and knife will have to do.

This. Not going anywhere; anywhere you go is going to put you at a greater disadvantage since you're not on home turf. This is assuming S is HTF everywhere else.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Colt AR with magpul furniture and EO Tech Zombie stopper red dot co witnessed with magpul flip up sights. Sig 226 as backup with pistol bayonet affixed.

Or a 10/22.

Also considered saying Keltec sub 2 k with Glock as sidearm.

The Sub-2000 is available below $400 on Gun Broker for the Glock 23. That's my combination.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I've always figured my family and I would use a "bug-in" plan, but what happens in the event of a natural disaster/flooding/too many zombies to shoot where we have to leave RIGHT NOW? I figure my 6920 and as much ammo as a belt and vest can carry?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    My windham ar308 in case i run out of ammo i can use the heavy as barrel to bash heads in. Oh and a machete

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

^^^^ This.

This. Not going anywhere; anywhere you go is going to put you at a greater disadvantage since you're not on home turf. This is assuming S is HTF everywhere else.

^^^^ And this.

First things first.

When the "S" actually Hits The Fan, hope that the Fan isn't turned on.
    IF it is. Turn the darned thing off, and clean up the mess.

Now, when the 'boogie-man' or who/whomever else you're afraid of, starts kicking in the door, then take care of the situation.

I'm too old and my body isn't what it used to be, to be able to 'hump out' a bunch of whatever's needed to 'bug out'.

Hell, my truck only holds so much.

I'm sitting tight, and enjoying my life.

Besides.............. I can't decide which of my firearms I'm going to leave behind. I've got quite a bit of ammo for all of them, and I don't want to leave that behind, either.

I'm sittin' right here, in my recliner.
    Besides................ I've got WIFI, here. And FiOS.

I'm not luggin' the big screen LED anywhere.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    An AR, friends, and a plan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very true. There is strength in numbers. I know the gun owners within 50 yards of my house. A plan is critical. I also agree with the "bug-in" folks. To bug in, people need to have food, sources for heat, light, cooking, and water.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Very true. There is strength in numbers. I know the gun owners within 50 yards of my house. A plan is critical. I also agree with the "bug-in" folks. To bug in, people need to have food, sources for heat, light, cooking, and water.

I really wonder how many people, in a time of crisis, will actually be able to "bug out"? If you live anywhere near the cities, forget it. Getting out of Baltimore City from Fayette Street on 9/11 was impossible and I wasn't that far from I-95. Trying to make a phone call was impossible too. It took forever to get through to my mom. Then, if you cannot go anywhere in a vehicle anytime soon, how many people are really in shape to run 10+ miles with a bugout bag and guns strapped to themselves. My brothers, sisters, and parents all have a plan. Come to fabs' house where there is plenty of food, water, ammo, firewood, etc. From here, we figure things out based upon the circumstances.

Even if you have a bicycle, which I have a few of, what are the chances of going anywhere on it in a traffic jam without getting shot because some idiot thinks he is the only one in the crowd with a gun and he wants the bike for himself? Reminds me of War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise.

I really do think the first thing to do is to hunker down. After a couple of weeks of that, see where things are, and come up with a plan based upon the circumstances. People that are fixated on bugging out have seen Red Dawn once too many times.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I really wonder how many people, in a time of crisis, will actually be able to "bug out"? If you live anywhere near the cities, forget it. Getting out of Baltimore City from Fayette Street on 9/11 was impossible and I wasn't that far from I-95. Trying to make a phone call was impossible too. It took forever to get through to my mom. Then, if you cannot go anywhere in a vehicle anytime soon, how many people are really in shape to run 10+ miles with a bugout bag and guns strapped to themselves. My brothers, sisters, and parents all have a plan. Come to fabs' house where there is plenty of food, water, ammo, firewood, etc. From here, we figure things out based upon the circumstances.

Even if you have a bicycle, which I have a few of, what are the chances of going anywhere on it in a traffic jam without getting shot because some idiot thinks he is the only one in the crowd with a gun and he wants the bike for himself? Reminds me of War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise.

I really do think the first thing to do is to hunker down. After a couple of weeks of that, see where things are, and come up with a plan based upon the circumstances. People that are fixated on bugging out have seen Red Dawn once too many times.

Good point. I was in Jersey, within visual range of ground zero on 9/11. We couldn't get home until 9/14. This is another one of those both/and versus either/or. Be ready to shelter in place and have a bug out bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom