What's your most versatile handgun and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dooga

Dec 5, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, the Gen 3 G23 I sold is the one. But for now it's my Gen 1 G17 or maybe my Gen 2 G19.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Tough choice. My Blackhawk in .45 Colt let's me reload from .44 Mag performance down to soft plinker loads. It also has a .45 ACP cylinder, but being able to reload takes some of the practicality away from that. OTOH, if I have a questionable ACP reload I can be pretty certain they're safe to fire in the Blackhawk.

Also have the .357 with a 9 mm cylinder which gives me more Walmart Available calibers (.38, .357, 9 mm). I used to use that a lot teaching new shooters in MD. Very politically correct next step after the .22 revolver. Doesn't have the big bore top end of the .45 though, so the .45 gets carried in the field these days.

Somebody mentioned .22, and I do have the Ceiner kit for my 1911s (and a Kadet for my CZ), but after leaving MD I just got dedicated .22s and haven't used them lately.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I don't own one but my vote would be for one of those 12 gauge survival shotties with barrel conversions that drop in like a shell. Pretty cool firearms and some even have 2 barrels.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Freedom Arms revolver in .454 Casull with a spare .45acp cylinder, can also shoot 45LC in a pinch.

Can take an elephant with it or punch holes in paper with the acp cylinder by simply changing the cylinder out.

Or

Ruger Single 7 in .327mag also has a lot going for it since it will take .327, 32mag, 32S&W Long, and 32acp in a pinch also.
    Another case of mild to wild in one platform. Small game to deer without needing to change a single part or buy more to add to it.

Or

Thompson Contender/Encore, can be a rifle or pistol in anything from .17 to 50 blackpowder.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't own one but my vote would be for one of those 12 gauge survival shotties with barrel conversions that drop in like a shell. Pretty cool firearms and some even have 2 barrels.
    Chad posted a thread on flare guns which could be used in this way. Definitely versatile.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Ruger Single 7 in .327mag also has a lot going for it since it will take .327, 32mag, 32S&W Long, and 32acp in a pinch also.
    Another case of mild to wild in one platform. Small game to deer without needing to change a single part or buy more to add to it.

I consider a .327 every so often. I like the versatility and increased capacity, but then I'd have to buy loading dies, and stock another caliber of bullets. Then I'd want to collect the whole set. Single 7, SP -101, do they come in different barrel lengths in each platform? Is there a compatible carbine. Could get expensive, but I like the concept.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I consider a .327 every so often. I like the versatility and increased capacity, but then I'd have to buy loading dies, and stock another caliber of bullets. Then I'd want to collect the whole set. Single 7, SP -101, do they come in different barrel lengths in each platform? Is there a compatible carbine. Could get expensive, but I like the concept.

Yes, the Single Seven comes in a couple of barrel lengths and Henry is to put out a rifle in .327/32mag this year.

There is also the LCR in .327 (one more round than a 38) and then piles of 32Mags and 32S&Ws to fill those voids in your life:D

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

Attachments

• IMG_8419.jpg
      IMG_8419.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 171

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    OK, back in the real world, my Thunder 5 is a triple threat: .410 shot shell, .45LC.... and it's a 5lb club when the ammo runs out...

Attachments

• IMG_6514.jpg
      IMG_6514.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 167

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I may own an AR pistol. Swapping uppers gets me .22 LR to 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM or one of the weird 50s. I can also attach a 50 BMG upper, to attach to a tripod. So I can go from mice to tanks with one pistol

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Yes, the Single Seven comes in a couple of barrel lengths and Henry is to put out a rifle in .327/32mag this year.

There is also the LCR in .327 (one more round than a 38) and then piles of 32Mags and 32S&Ws to fill those voids in your life:D

I was afraid you'd say something like that. I love my single actions (big Ruger fanboi) and my lever guns.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, back in the real world, my Thunder 5 is a triple threat: .410 shot shell, .45LC.... and it's a 5lb club when the ammo runs out...

:D Reminds me of the one that blew apart while...

Attachments

• tommy.png
      tommy.png
      19 KB · Views: 137

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I'll have to go with the AR 15 pistol in 7.5 inch barrelI with a polymer lower. Super lightweight, 30 plus magazine capacity, supreme stopping power.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, HankR topped me in revolver cred :) .

.357/ 9mm Convertable would allow cheap plinking ammo , but wouldn't expand the available performance window.

.45 Colt Blackhawk is great answer. But presupposes handloads to both tailor performance levels, and to be affordable to shoot much. On that theme, a .45Colt/ .45acp convertible would be a great thing .

But finally the rapid reloading capability of DA revolvers would be a plus for defensive/ duty use . ( Semiauto fans stop snickering.)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I took the OP question to mean, as a stand alone pistol. Not conversions or Lego gun, what can I make it into. Of my pistols. My SW 686+ 357mag.

Could take alot of large mammals down. It's easy enough to carry. Ammo is fairly available and can get good loadings. Good range for a pistol.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I took the OP question to mean, as a stand alone pistol. Not conversions or Lego gun, what can I make it into. Of my pistols. My SW 686+ 357mag.

Could take alot of large mammals down. It's easy enough to carry. Ammo is fairly available and can get good loadings. Good range for a pistol.
    You can define versatile however you see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom