• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You will be able to get one soon, and at a cheaper price then they are currently going for.
    I suspect this, too. What's the worst case, really? Saiga reconfigures the weapons so that the magazine becomes technically non-detachable via bullet button or whatever, and it's just another step in the conversion (replace it with a proper mag release).

I think I'm convinced that I want to buy one now, but damned if I'm spending more than $600 shipped or so.

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    Pic of the new s12

2011-04-11214742.jpg

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I suspect this, too. What's the worst case, really? Saiga reconfigures the weapons so that the magazine becomes technically non-detachable via bullet button or whatever, and it's just another step in the conversion (replace it with a proper mag release).

I think I'm convinced that I want to buy one now, but damned if I'm spending more than $600 shipped or so.

Apparently this scare comes around about once a year when production stops, everybody wants to make as much money as possible. Same thing with black rifles near the election and hi cap mags after Tuscon. The study straight up said they are going to have to reconsider pistol grips as sporting features due to the increasing popularity of them on hunting shotguns.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The Russians know they can ask more money for them and have raised their prices, which is a big part of the increases on the newest shipment. Not sure we will ever see S-12s below $600 again, they've been going up in price steadily over the past few years as they've gotten more popular. The Red Jacket show certainly hasn't helped the S-12 market.

It's pretty clear to me that the ATF doesn't like the S-12 and this "study" is simply a foot in the door to a future ban. It's just a formality so they can point to "evidence" that the S-12 is not a sporting shotgun. They've used the "sporting" clause many times in the past to restrict specific classes of firearms from entering the country. I don't see how this latest initiative will turn out any different.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I want to turn one into a SBS but haven't felt like messing with the paperwork. If they make them DD mine will definitely get shorter.

I have two now and would like a third. The first one looks like a big ak. I want one with an 8 or 10" barrel and would like to set another up for 3gun.

I think it's funny that conversions are being consider as far as importation. The conversion makes them a US made firearm by definition.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    broke mine in tonight at freestate:thumbsup: it definetly needs a conversion that factory stock did not get along with my shoulder

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The Russians know they can ask more money for them and have raised their prices, which is a big part of the increases on the newest shipment. Not sure we will ever see S-12s below $600 again, they've been going up in price steadily over the past few years as they've gotten more popular. The Red Jacket show certainly hasn't helped the S-12 market.

It's pretty clear to me that the ATF doesn't like the S-12 and this "study" is simply a foot in the door to a future ban. It's just a formality so they can point to "evidence" that the S-12 is not a sporting shotgun. They've used the "sporting" clause many times in the past to restrict specific classes of firearms from entering the country. I don't see how this latest initiative will turn out any different.

I think the Russians are going to find out that demand is going to be wayyy down compared to the past couple months. I think this scare had an effect similar to cash for clunkers, it didn't cause more cars to be sold in the long term it just caused anyone thinking of getting an s12 iin the next year to run out and grab one. Demand will be way down next year.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    If a ban were to happen (not just S12s, but any firearm) would replacement parts still be able to be imported or made in the states? I would hate to own one and be afraid to shoot regularly for fear of not being able to repair it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If a ban were to happen (not just S12s, but any firearm) would replacement parts still be able to be imported or made in the states? I would hate to own one and be afraid to shoot regularly for fear of not being able to repair it.

Right now most everything except the barrels and receivers would remain legal... However don't bet on that not to change.

Mark

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

These things are tough as tanks and it's not like you are shotting the accuracy out of a rifled barrel, just make sure you use the right gas setting.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    These things are tough as tanks and it's not like you are shotting the accuracy out of a rifled barrel, just make sure you use the right gas setting.

I was talking about more than just Saigas, like AKs and ARs. If these were banned again what would happen if replacement parts were needed (firing pin, recoil spring, etc). Would these still be legally produced?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I was talking about more than just Saigas, like AKs and ARs. If these were banned again what would happen if replacement parts were needed (firing pin, recoil spring, etc). Would these still be legally produced?

People would just make them here.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Any ATF ruling on the S-12 would only affect imported shotguns. Keep in mind they can't write new laws, only reinterpret existing ones. All the ATF can do is restrict *imports* of guns under the sporting clause.

At the moment AKs are not under fire in any way. Even if the ATF extended the "sporting" definition to them eventually, they still couldn't ban AKs built in the US on foreign parts. Century is already subcontracting many of the components to be built in the US, and in any case there are plenty of kits and parts already stateside.

The AR wouldn't be affected at all, as it's 100% US.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Any ATF ruling on the S-12 would only affect imported shotguns. Keep in mind they can't write new laws, only reinterpret existing ones. All the ATF can do is restrict *imports* of guns under the sporting clause.

At the moment AKs are not under fire in any way. Even if the ATF extended the "sporting" definition to them eventually, they still couldn't ban AKs built in the US on foreign parts. Century is already subcontracting many of the components to be built in the US, and in any case there are plenty of kits and parts already stateside.

Don't be snookered... if they get the Saiga shotguns banned, you can be sure that the Saiga rifles will be next. This is the Obama doctrine when it comes to legislation that would not pass... reinterpret the regulations.

EPA governing greenhouse gas, ATF narrowing its interpretation of sporting use, FCC regulating the Internet, etc.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    This administration isn't going to stop until we are all living in 20 story condos,getting food and water rations.

The NRA and the SAF are going to be very busy with the Obamarx and his administration in power.

I really wish money was better, I would love to have 2 more Arsenal AK's. I have always wanted a Vepr.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Toss in the IAC trench gun because of the Bayonet lug into the import category.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County

Sorry, I didn't mean an import ban, I meant a ban in general like the Clinton ban of '94. Would replacement parts still be produced and sold in this scenario? Were they sold during the Clinton ban?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Sorry, I didn't mean an import ban, I meant a ban in general like the Clinton ban of '94. Would replacement parts still be produced and sold in this scenario? Were they sold during the Clinton ban?

During the ban nothing changed except the rifles appearance. I bought my first AK and AR during the ban. No bayonet lugs, no flash hiders, a thumbhole on the AK and a fixed stock on the AR. Of course they came with 5 and 10 round mags. I expect if another ban happened it will probably be worse because the Clinton ban really didn't ban the weapons, just made AR's with preban stocks and bayonet lugs worth $2500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom