• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRedDragon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 6, 2010
    I'm not into shotguns and the drum fed saiga12's are just too bulky for me. I would take a n HK / Benelli M4 over the S-12 anyday.

i agree, the s12's are def over rated, they do look mean, but would not be a go to gun for me, i'd take my 870 instead. i had a s12 and sold it, it wasnt 100 percent reliable and kicked like a bitch. i dont miss it

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Personally, I think the Obama ATF is testing the waters in the same manner that the Obama EPA did last year over the lead ammunition ban that was proposed.

If they find that the heat in the kitchen isn't too hight they will move to restrict/ban the S12

If they think they're going to get burned they'll do nothing.

Thats why its important to respond to all of these "studies" every time.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    h2u, No disrespect meant toward Mr. Atkins. I admire his initiative,
    But I am sure you will agree that firearms should be named with with care !!

Hey Infidel, was a pleasure shooting with you at Berwyn, and having lunch, you sir are a great American in every respect. Glad to see you've decided to participate in the forum!

I mentioned your comments about the Saiga12 to a buddy at work who was considering buying one for home defense.
    Thx!

Mr BoomStick

Jan 27, 2010
    Hagerstown
    i agree, the s12's are def over rated, they do look mean, but would not be a go to gun for me, i'd take my 870 instead. i had a s12 and sold it, it wasnt 100 percent reliable and kicked like a bitch. i dont miss it

They can be finicky and getting one to run can be like practicing voodoo, and yes they need to get their tolerances and spec tighter and more consistent from the factory. All it takes to get one to run right is some time and reading then after shooting the gun figuring out what it is doing. I had my s12 back before many of the after market parts were available and many issues were hard to properly diagnose, due mainly to lack of understanding of the firearm. The Thing many fail to understand is this is a combat shotgun, not a trap gun or bird gun. It is meant to fire slug and buckshot. It doesn't matter how its neutered to get it into the country"sporting configuration". It can be made to fire the low brass rounds but it takes time and modification to make it do so.

I just got mine back from the gunsmiths after having the ports worked and all the internals changed and the pistol grip moved forward. I changed the internals out to better parts like a silicone steel mainspring for a crisper trigger. I had to tune the gas system but its 100% reliable now. Mine has an auto regulator on the gas system.

When you look at what the gun is - when you really examine it - you begin to understand that there really isn't anything else like it.

As a "sporting" semiauto 12g, it has capacities and capabilities simillar to other shotguns. Price-wise, it has been competitive with other guns like the Rem 1100 or 1187, at least until external market forces came into play... Reliability-speaking, it's about the same, too. So it's a gun that's as good as any other semiauto shotgun, at a comparable price...

But once you take modifications in to account, there's nothing else like it. Benelli M4, SPAS-12, even Streetsweepers or USAS-12's - all are inferior.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    S-12

I have an S-12 at Lone Star Arms in Albequerque, NM for a complete custom workover. Yep, it's expensive but I've worked hard and now, at 71, I'm going to have a custom gun. Mike Rogers is the owner and Gunsmith at Lone Star and after a lot of discussion with his customers and Mike, I'm convinced I will have a great shooter upon return. It is estimated the turnaround time is 6 weeks. When it get back home, I'll run it through the range and let everyone know the results. You can see the "Signcutter" model I'm having built at www.lonestararms.com, it is the first four photos under Gallery. If it functions as well as it looks, I should be happy. Anyone considering buying a Saiga 12 should do a lot of reading of the info found at www.saiga-12.com and under Google, Saiga 12. These are fantastic guns but not as they come from the factory, they require modification. Some guys feel comfortable doing their own, I build old motorcycles but I dont build things that go BANG. Report to follow.

Last edited:

Infidel

Apr 3, 2011
    Derwood, Frederick
    When you look at what the gun is - when you really examine it - you begin to understand that there really isn't anything else like it.

As a "sporting" semiauto 12g, it has capacities and capabilities simillar to other shotguns. Price-wise, it has been competitive with other guns like the Rem 1100 or 1187, at least until external market forces came into play... Reliability-speaking, it's about the same, too. So it's a gun that's as good as any other semiauto shotgun, at a comparable price...

But once you take modifications in to account, there's nothing else like it. Benelli M4, SPAS-12, even Streetsweepers or USAS-12's - all are inferior.

+:thumbsup:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Man. Guess I missed the boat on purchasing extra for speculative purposes...
    Sure would be nice to be able to keep a few NIB for a rainy day :D

I hope all who are looking are able to get one before they go much higher :thumbsup:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't think anything is certain at this point, I reread the study and once again the S-12 doesn't have any of those features. The ATF doesn't want us to buy WASRs either but they have no choice if the companies follow the laws. If anything, the study mentioned that there is a good chance pistol grips will be considered sporting which would open the importation of regular s12s ("converted"). The study also mentions that there is little reloading difference time between tube and box/drum fed shotguns although it did say there is no sporting purpose for drums. The gun isn't imported with the drum it comes with a 5 round mag just like my Arsenal Saiga did.

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    My new E-Tac S12 .... Sorry for the crappy pic .. I need a new camera

0411011520.jpg

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Very nice, the Magpul AFG was MADE for the S12. Good choice. What are you going to do for sites? I can't stand the stock set, I'm thinking about a Ultimak with microdot.

-Jim

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    Very nice, the Magpul AFG was MADE for the S12. Good choice. What are you going to do for sites? I can't stand the stock set, I'm thinking about a Ultimak with microdot.

-Jim

sights are Gonna have to stay stock for a while .. I have a IZ-132 finishing up soon & my wallet just tapped out paying for this s12 & the Bushnell trophy MP for the 132.

Putting some work in with her this weekend so hopefully I like the stock sights cause Honestly I like the look , & my wallet would be way happier with that .. :lol2:

BrandonThibeault

Feb 6, 2011
    Parkville
    I remember when they would sit onb the shelves on gun shops. I passed one up to get a semi-935 mossberg tactical I can still get the mossberg I should have gotten the siaga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom