• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Back in the early 2000s, when the CMP was dispositioning .22 match rifles, I was one of many, many people who put in an order for a Winchester 52 C or D. I was lucky enough to be one of the few who received a Winchester 52C, the last of the bolt-action repeaters, featuring the Micro-Motion trigger. Although many 52C rifles were produced, relatively few were used by the military for match use and have the electro-penciled "US Property" marking. And a bonus for me is that the serial number traces the rifle's manufacture to 1958...the year I was born. It came without sights, but the CMP was also selling off the stock of Redfield match "Olympic" aperture sights, both front and rear. Now the rifle has been put back together into the condition when it was actively being used for matches. And, of course, I've kept all CMP paperwork for provenance.

The rifle's original stock was pretty beat up from being banged up in a crate with other rifles. The original barrel-mounted scope bases had very sharp edges and put nice creases in all the guns in the crate. In that era, Reese Surplus had an inventory of 52C stocks. I picked up a stock which needed a slight repair, then refinished that stock to a nice satin sheen. For appearance, the barreled action spends most of the time in that stock, although I've kept the other stock for originality.

I've used mine for NRL22 matches at AAF&G. It's far more accurate than this shooter. The downside is that LOOOONG barrel (28 inches to be precise). Trying to move it into props like the treads of a stepladder is really tough. Years ago, I outfitted the rifle with a Vianni scope that mounts to the original aperture sight mounting holes, along with the scope Unertl-style scope mounting holes.

JoeR

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Back in the early 2000s, when the CMP was dispositioning .22 match rifles, I was one of many, many people who put in an order for a Winchester 52 C or D. I was lucky enough to be one of the few who received a Winchester 52C, the last of the bolt-action repeaters, featuring the Micro-Motion trigger. Although many 52C rifles were produced, relatively few were used by the military for match use and have the electro-penciled "US Property" marking. And a bonus for me is that the serial number traces the rifle's manufacture to 1958...the year I was born. It came without sights, but the CMP was also selling off the stock of Redfield match "Olympic" aperture sights, both front and rear. Now the rifle has been put back together into the condition when it was actively being used for matches. And, of course, I've kept all CMP paperwork for provenance.

The rifle's original stock was pretty beat up from being banged up in a crate with other rifles. The original barrel-mounted scope bases had very sharp edges and put nice creases in all the guns in the crate. In that era, Reese Surplus had an inventory of 52C stocks. I picked up a stock which needed a slight repair, then refinished that stock to a nice satin sheen. For appearance, the barreled action spends most of the time in that stock, although I've kept the other stock for originality.

I've used mine for NRL22 matches at AAF&G. It's far more accurate than this shooter. The downside is that LOOOONG barrel (28 inches to be precise). Trying to move it into props like the treads of a stepladder is really tough. Years ago, I outfitted the rifle with a Vianni scope that mounts to the original aperture sight mounting holes, along with the scope Unertl-style scope mounting holes.

JoeR

Sounds like a cool rifle. Definitely a cool story!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Concentric Circle marked Type 38. Other than mine, there are only 15 or so that are published as known to be intact out there at the moment. I've seen some examples online but can't verify serials vs what has been published to see if they are like mine and "new" examples.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=6236273

Not rare per se, but the BYF 41 Luger that my grandfather brought back. The fact that it's all matching plus holster, tool, spare mag, and papers is pretty cool.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    This Savage 1907 .45 Trial Pistol serial# 78 this was 1 of 288 made and comes from the Bailey Brower's collection who is the author of the book Savage Pistols and recognized as the authoritarian of Savage pistols. After the trials were over Savage purchased the pistols back from the government, they refinished a few in house and then the balance were sent to Tryon in Philadelphia where they were reworked and sold to the general public. Savage took the overall design of the 45 and shrunk it down and produced the commercial
    .32 and .380 pistols starting production in 1908 finishing up around 1920. the idea of producing the smaller pistol in 32 Caliber in 1908 was to help fund the trial pistol production. This one was restored a few years ago by a gentleman by the name of Steve Moeller, Steve passed away in 2015 but he left his thumb print on a lot of firearms particularly 1911's & 1911A1's. According to the books there were components that broke in the Savage 45 during the trials including grip panels, I can only speculate that these smooth Walnut grips were replacement stocks put on the pistol during the trial or either during the rework process, these stocks would have been the type that would have been used on the model 1910 Savage trial pistol and there were only 10 of those pistols provided to the military for the trials. Either way it is what it is as they say, the majority of the parts of marked 78 the magazine in this pistol is marked number 200. There are a couple of Savage pistols listed out on GB right now with a mixture of serial numbered components one indeed has my number 78 magazine which is rather ironic. during the trials in the records it was noted that they had issues with magazine function and cross compatibility.

This particular pistol was 1 of 64 pieces that went to the trials in NM Apache and Navajo country:

Troop I
    3rd U.S. Cavalry
    Fort Wingate
    New Mexico
    8d9c84ba04d4a9a8a3d6707a70fe8fa4.jpg
    94d60b2cc651aff095526b9e26126af6.jpg
    cd6e90fc21ebcb8d4d8e56435bde1700.jpg
    804678a1a7642514611f19efd3621505.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    This Savage 1907 .45 Trial Pistol serial# 78 this was 1 of 288 made and comes from the Bailey Brower's collection who is the author of the book Savage Pistols and recognized as the authoritarian of Savage pistols. After the trials were over Savage purchased the pistols back from the government, they refinished a few in house and then the balance were sent to Tryon in Philadelphia where they were reworked and sold to the general public. Savage took the overall design of the 45 and shrunk it down and produced the commercial
    .32 and .380 pistols starting production in 1908 finishing up around 1920. the idea of producing the smaller pistol in 32 Caliber in 1908 was to help fund the trial pistol production. This one was restored a few years ago by a gentleman by the name of Steve Moeller, Steve passed away in 2015 but he left his thumb print on a lot of firearms particularly 1911's & 1911A1's. According to the books there were components that broke in the Savage 45 during the trials including grip panels, I can only speculate that these smooth Walnut grips were replacement stocks put on the pistol during the trial or either during the rework process, these stocks would have been the type that would have been used on the model 1910 Savage trial pistol and there were only 10 of those pistols provided to the military for the trials. Either way it is what it is as they say, the majority of the parts of marked 78 the magazine in this pistol is marked number 200. There are a couple of Savage pistols listed out on GB right now with a mixture of serial numbered components one indeed has my number 78 magazine which is rather ironic. during the trials in the records it was noted that they had issues with magazine function and cross compatibility.

This particular pistol was 1 of 64 pieces that went to the trials in NM Apache and Navajo country:

WOW!!!!! And congratulations on finding and acquiring this unicorn!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not worthy .

I no longer have , a Colt New Service Target ..... In .44 RUSSIAN . i don't have the production numbers at hand . but there was a short time window between the introduction of the Target Model and the introduction of .44 Special , after which they were marked
    44 Special & Russian .

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Troop I
    3rd U.S. Cavalry
    Fort Wingate
    New Mexico
    8d9c84ba04d4a9a8a3d6707a70fe8fa4.jpg
    94d60b2cc651aff095526b9e26126af6.jpg
    cd6e90fc21ebcb8d4d8e56435bde1700.jpg
    804678a1a7642514611f19efd3621505.jpg

Wow! Thats amazing :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I'm not surprised that you were able to find a fantastic Savage Trials Pistol after seeing all your previous threads. But for a Savage pistol collector this has to be the gem in what's an impressive collection.
    I was fortunate to have a long and special conversation with Bailey Brower when I acquired my Standard Oil example. I was at work when he called me out of the blue, quite a shock. Suffice to say I took a long break from work as there was no way I was going to miss out on conversing with the author of one of my favorite reference works. It's funny how collectors who are strangers can strike up a vibrant conversation like they have known each other for years. IMHO it's all about passion.

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    -I'm not surprised that you were able to find a fantastic Savage Trials Pistol after seeing all your previous threads. But for a Savage pistol collector this has to be the gem in what's an impressive collection.
    I was fortunate to have a long and special conversation with Bailey Brower when I acquired my Standard Oil example. I was at work when he called me out of the blue, quite a shock. Suffice to say I took a long break from work as there was no way I was going to miss out on conversing with the author of one of my favorite reference works. It's funny how collectors who are strangers can strike up a vibrant conversation like they have known each other for years. IMHO it's all about passion.
    Thanks for the comments.

Yes Bailey is amazing, he and I have had many conversations and email exchanges over the past 5 years. He tried to buy my 1915 SO Company .380 but I didnt want to part with it. The pearl .32 and .45 Trial in my collection came from Bailey's collection. His book is a treasure as is he, always willing to share information and opinions.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Only 1 of these in existence

Attachments

• 35B2EA5F-8F40-4A37-961C-6E6333CA98EC.jpeg
      35B2EA5F-8F40-4A37-961C-6E6333CA98EC.jpeg
      110.5 KB · Views: 67

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri