Whats the deal with Dicks Sporting goods?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Speaking of dsg, did they only stop selling handguns in MD? I thought they stopped selling them altogether but the one near me in TX has handguns...

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I have nothing against Dick's Sporting Goods, but it is good to support small businesses. Forum supporters would be a good start, and I'm sure some of them can order what you want.

This particular gun cannot be ordered. Its considered an exclusive item. Even if it could im already two days into the background check so by the time they order it I should have it.

jt2100r

Aug 2, 2014
    Huntingtown
    I think its all BS. I have to wait 3 days because of a common name. Why dont they run your social ? Its not common.Its on the form.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    never had an issue with Dick's, welcome to the forum. Wish they made that shotgun with pistol grip only, very nice!

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in a previous reply but.
    If you have this delay happen regularly you can ask for a UPIN.
    UPIN stands for Unique Personal Identifier Number.
    This is a number kind of like a Social Security # but only used on the form 4473 by you.
    There is a spot on the 4473 Form for the number to be written in by you.
    How it works is when the form is submitted and processed, they enter than UPIN and it shows them that are not one of the persons that had a problem, so they don't have go thru a process of elimination with similar or same names or even addresses in order to clear you each time.
    They still look at your history from that UPIN date forward as they would with any background check, but at least your not lumped in with the persons. If your not using a Social Security number that could slow it down, I'm not a fan of them using a Social, but using it does sometimes eliminate other persons also.
    Being an agent or holding an active clearance shouldn't have any influence on your approval because it doesn't show up in their search perimeters.
    It never affected my purchases or made me wait.
    Sounds like someone with the same name or other data that had a problem pops up a red or yellow flag when your form is submitted..
    It also just might have been that the system was backed up that day due to a high volume of inquiries and the clerk didn't want to keep checking on your status. It isn't really always an instant check and can take up to 45 minutes to get a response back.
    Ask your FFL to help you with obtaining a UPIN if you continue to get delayed. Good Luck.
    And Happy New Year.

Last edited:

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    With the new "enhanced & improved" NICS checks I wouldn't be surprised if there is never a response. I've seen it happen before where the Feds just don't want to respond with a proceed for whatever reason. It is certainly more common now than it was before. Just saying. :innocent0 Also remember that the Feds are always watching you RobbieDigital including on these forums. Whenever they say "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Run!!!! :lol:

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    In all seriousness though patience is a virtue. Everything will most likely work out. Although they do say that a right delayed is a right denied. I understand the frustration.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    2 days in the books. Checked with Dicks around 4pm they said they hadnt heard anything yet. Hopefully tomorrow I get the call.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    With the new "enhanced & improved" NICS checks I wouldn't be surprised if there is never a response. I've seen it happen before where the Feds just don't want to respond with a proceed for whatever reason. It is certainly more common now than it was before. Just saying. :innocent0 Also remember that the Feds are always watching you RobbieDigital including on these forums. Whenever they say "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Run!!!! :lol:

See post #25. My brother who is an FFL has now been waiting over a month for 2 10-22's from Dicks, no Proceed, no guns.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I guess I've been lucky. With a name like mine, I've never been delayed only put in the further review line. I did have 1 instance where I was put in the further review line, then realized this was a C&R eligible rifle, so we went that way.

OP, keep the faith. It will be worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom