• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Say you are going camping with kids. Bear are the issue you wish to protect against. However obviously general protection too, however no CCW or even open carry. You are looking for a gun that you can load when you go to bed, to address an unwelcome guest. Then unload and store without to much trouble when you get up. Not exactly looking to hunt bear but want to have something large enough to take care of them at close range without overkill. Thinking a pistol or revolver. Suggestions? What is the smallest caliber to consider?

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    This would be my bear gun. Sig P220 in 10mm

220R-10-BSE-SAO.jpg

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Seems like 10mm is just about as powerful as 357 with top end loads. Does not seem big enough?

870 is just to big. Need something smaller.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    hard to beat a 12ga with slugs in that role, 308 semi-auto wouldn't be too shabby either. Unless you are talking about black bear cubs, or plan on eating it, there really is no such thing as overkill for bears. If it HAS to be a handgun, the more power the better, 1000FPE+ would be ideal, with soft point, hardcast or similarly deep penetrating loads. People have killed bears with service caliber pistols and 22s, although why handicap yourself, kinda like the "best .32 for home defense" thread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is my bear spray...S&W 629

Attachments

• 629.jpg
      629.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 632

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Seems like 10mm is just about as powerful as 357 with top end loads. Does not seem big enough?

870 is just to big. Need something smaller.

15rnds of 700+ft lbs is gonna work fine especially since intruders of the 2 legged variety are much more a threat then those with 4 legs.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I guess I am looking to see what the thoughts are on what is large enough to get the job done? Sure 308 rifle would be ideal and one could use it as a tent pole when not needed ;) Na, needs to be a smaller package. I thought a 44 mag Mountain gun was probably what I was going to hear but was not sure. I assume 44 Mag is big enough but not overkill. Whats just big enough to get the job done and not just to piss it off more? Its camping, one doesn't want to pack larger than needed but also don't want to be unprepared. 45acp, 357 mag, 10mm... any capable of really doing the job? Any other calibers to consider? Specific guns?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I was up in AK a couple summers ago, and I heard a funny joke from a guy I met.
    "Why do Alaskans file the front sights off of their .44mag revolvers?..."

"Because it will hurt less when the bear shoves it up their ass"

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    This is my bear spray...S&W 629

+1 I took my 629 when we went camping because there are black bear. Also ccw my g19 so that would do in a pinch.

I think most black bear are scared away with a shot, but it's nice to have what's needed just in case. We all know real men kill bear with a knife (especially if they live in MD)

Just saying, open carry is legal in WV and VA. Where you going?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A lot of the aforementioned will bounce off a full grown grizzly or brown bear's chest. Their skulls are like class III armor plate too.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wear a G34 with Hornady Critical defense and a spare mag when camping.
    Can't afford that 10mm stuff yet.

Buffalo Bore has a LONG article about this very topic

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

Good read. :thumbsup:

From the article ...

Black bears are very different mentally, than grizzly bears. Black bears come in red, brown, blonde, and black color phases, but they are all black bear species and should be considered “black bears” regardless of color phase. While black bears have much the same physical qualities (normally smaller) of grizzly bears, they GENERALLY have a much different mindset.

To stop black bears, all you have to do is hurt them; you do not need to kill them. Almost any center fire handgun cartridge will dissuade a black bear if you hit them well with it. The more powerful the cartridge, the more damage you’ll potentially do to the bear, but nearly any black bear will turn tail if he is hit with a cartridge such as good stiff 9mm load. I know this argues against prevailing wisdom, but prevailing wisdom is based mostly on speculation, not real world experience and is not really wisdom.

For camping in black bear country, I'm of the mindset to take a 686+ with some 357 Magnum hardcast rounds (in fact, from Buffalo Bore) ... or something that takes more rounds but spits them out fast to get penetration, perhaps a 357 Sig shooter. Black bears are foraging and building fat for hibernation now which I would imagine is late November in these parts.

If on the trail (vs in the tent), bear spray would be the first option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom