• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Me, I'd break down and pack a shotgun and slugs if at all possible for the application you describe. If not feasible, then the handgun for me would be a double action revolver in the heaviest cartridge I had shot a lot of and believed I could handle in such an encounter. I'd be thinking 41 mag and up. Again for me, I know "and up" for me stops at 44mag.

If I were to buy such a revolver, for only the type of quick and accessible and all the time available security vs. bears? And I'd be frequenting that sort of country and have that need often? Me, I'd look hard at a Ruger Alaskan. Available in 44 mag, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger. 2.5 inch barrel.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you go the shotgun route, look at those Brenneke Black Magic slugs. Those things are something else.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Going against the grain here, how about a take-down 92? Rossi or Winchester will work. http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long...s-1892-takedown-rifle-45-lc-20-octagonal.html Get some +P .45 Colt loads and you're good.

I was thinking the same - I have a Model 94 takedown (in 30-30) that packs really small - and I eventually want the stainless Taylor's Alaskan takedown in 44 Mag. :D

However, if in a tent attacked by a bear, the maneuverability of a rifle may be limited, especially if you have one hand pushing off the bear. In this case, a double-action revolver in 357 or higher (with a 2.5-3.0 inch barrel) or a Glock 20 SF may be more desirable. A big effing knife might do the trick too - but lacks the loud sound report that could startle the bear.

Out on the trail, not sure if he can open carry a rifle (depending on where he's going), but a pistol is certainly concealable.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Gotta love this forum! And thanks to Jimbob and Fidelity for the education!

A breakdown 92 or 94 would indeed be something to think about. Wasn't aware of the availability of either. Quick and Tool free assembly?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yes, another elegant John Moses Browning design, in fact! :D

And here's a picture of mine disassembled next to a 10/22 Take Down ...

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
      DSC_0016.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 373
    • DSC_0027.jpg
      DSC_0027.jpg
      57 KB · Views: 267

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    In a camping environment I would have to go with a .357 revolver. Plenty of knockdown power.... Doesn't need assembled at a moments notice... And you can carry it on your side at all times.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Given that you are protecting yourself from black bears, rather than hunting them, a .45 auto would work. I'd intentionally miss the first shot. The chances are 99/100 it will take off running from the noise. If not, the .45 will either stop it, or turn it away.

This comment, however, has no value if you are going to be in AK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom