• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I actually can. The Meprolights glow pretty brightly and it's not hard to get your sights on target. Of course CT makes it a no brainer. I got my NS first and added the CT later. NS also work in low light situations, not just dark environments.

This. In low light, they help pick up the sights faster. Doesn't have to be all that dark for them to help, outdoor range on a rainy day, most indoor ranges, an unlit room at home, enclosed parking garages, or any number of other places during the day, in addition to night. For those that carry, this is a lot of places during the day, and most everywhere at night, even those who don't carry can benefit from them. The only place they really don't have a benefit is in bright broad daylight when sights are most visible, and suprisingly in pitch dark. When it is too dark to see your target, you can still see the sights, and it can help you find your pistol on a bedstand, but without being able to see the target, and what's beyond it, it isn't safe to shoot, so a flashlight is needed, and they tend to overpower the subtle green glow of night sights, you still have the silouette of the sights though, and can easily shoot if needed. Lasers can be useful, they can help get you on target quickly, or shoot accurately when you are not in a position to see the sights, but some depend on them too much, and they depend on electronics and batteries, both can and do fail. Most of the current training doctrine stresses redundancy and backup systems, the one is none, and 2 is one mentality, so even if you have a laser, night sights are critical, in the same way a handheld flashlight, and the techniques it affords is useful even if you have a weapons mounted light, at worst you have a convenient backup, at best they can each perform unique tasks that offer advantages, an an advantage can save your life.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Crappy pic.

G30 with CT LG and Meprolight night sites.
    My G29SF and G20SF have Meps too.
    G21 mag with A & G grip sleeve for HD. Switch to 9 round mag for carry

Attachments

• SDC10011.jpg
      SDC10011.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 77

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Throw them up!

:needpics:

The latest set of Novaks, on my G30. The lenses and white surround are very reflective, and easy to pick up in daylight, and they glow nice crisp and bright in the dark. The brightness is about perfect, you pick up the glowing dots just before the sight picture starts to fade in progressively fading light. The shape resists snagging, and the inset rear face reduces glare. They do require some minor fitting of the rear sight(or dovetailed fronts), as most do, the front bolts right onto GLOCKs. I have around 10 sets of Novaks on my personal handguns, including my carry and competition pistols, all have held up without issue.

IMAG1120.jpg
    IMAG1122.jpg

IMAG1124.jpg IMAG1132.jpg

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Good point. Check your batteries from time to time just like your ammo. (house gun of course)

Curious though....you can honestly see your night sights in the pure dark? You would really sight in on an intruder running/walking towards you?

Not trying to argue....just curious.

If it were 'pure dark' I wouldnt be firing because I wouldnt be able to ID my target. And yes you can see them, I can start picking them up at dusk/in a darker interior room. My SIG factory night sights glow so bright that the crack around the night stand drawer glows. My 10-8 glock ones aren’t that bright but they only have 1 small vial while the SIG has 3 large ones.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    If it were 'pure dark' I wouldnt be firing because I wouldnt be able to ID my target. And yes you can see them, I can start picking them up at dusk/in a darker interior room. My SIG factory night sights glow so bright that the crack around the night stand drawer glows. My 10-8 glock ones aren’t that bright but they only have 1 small vial while the SIG has 3 large ones.

Glows that brightly...to lite up your drawer? Is your hair falling out too? Check for radiation! :lol2:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like these sights have come a long way.

Steve

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Glows that brightly...to lite up your drawer? Is your hair falling out too? Check for radiation! :lol2:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like these sights have come a long way.

Steve

Yep, I was like "WTF!" when I first noticed. I keep my room PITCH dark, like you cant see your hand in front of your face dark, so it was really obvious. I figured teh sights would at the very least help me find the gun lol :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom