• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I've shot a friends 1911 and it seemed like it was finicky on ammo. Felt good, but I don't think the experience was life changing. Haha of course I def want one bevause they are gorgeous guns. In my opinion it just seems that with everyone making them and owning one, it's lost some of it's prestige to me. I've been doing some research and I'm leaning towards the Springfield loaded. Heard good things about it. I just really had to know what made it so uniquely good.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I dont own one yet...i will, but not yet...its a nostalgia thing, their classics...even though their heavier, low cap, sa only, and more complex than todays guns.

Edit...i dont get the obsession with .45...the 3 that ive shot were easier to shoot than most of the 9s ive fired, and all the 40s. The one 1911 i shot was compensated and the thing felt like a .22 mag...

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    The 1911 is a classic, proven design and is a symbol of America- just like Chevy Camaros, Apple Pie, S&W .357 magnums, and Freedom!

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    WWI

knife17.jpg

WWII

wwii1911.jpg

Today

1911iraq.jpg

I rest my case!

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Edit...i dont get the obsession with .45...the 3 that ive shot were easier to shoot than most of the 9s ive fired, and all the 40s. The one 1911 i shot was compensated and the thing felt like a .22 mag...

So what's the problem then? You saying a caliber should be difficult to shoot to be effective?

Per the 1911, I was pretty underwhelmed when I shot one for the first few times. It's grown on me, and I really appreciate the design. I don't think they're for everyone, and don't let anyone tell you different. Not everyone NEEDS to own one just because it's a 1911.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    So what's the problem then? You saying a caliber should be difficult to shoot to be effective?

Per the 1911, I was pretty underwhelmed when I shot one for the first few times. It's grown on me, and I really appreciate the design. I don't think they're for everyone, and don't let anyone tell you different. Not everyone NEEDS to own one just because it's a 1911.

no, im saying that i find it funny how 45 is called the mans caliber, or what-have-you...as if to imply that it a beast compared to 9 or 40 when the reality is its an easier to control round...credit due in that department, however i am not to keen on 45 due to its capacity limitations...its a whole lotta big for not alota bang.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have trouble with the limited capacity argument. We are not in combat or LE (me anyway). I have 8 round mags for my 1911. 8 + 1 seems plenty for SD use. I have 4 Smith 10xx series 3rd gen autos. They carry one more round than the 1911. I don't feel under gunned with any of them

My .02

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I have trouble with the limited capacity argument. We are not in combat or LE (me anyway). I have 8 round mags for my 1911. 8 + 1 seems plenty for SD use. I have 4 Smith 10xx series 3rd gen autos. They carry one more round than the 1911. I don't feel under gunned with any of them

My .02

for range use, i agree. however in a SD situation i want as many rounds as i can, within reason. you never know what you will come up against, and you may not have time to reload. many studies have shown that in situations like this the vast majority of people will empty a mag into/at the threat, sometimes even continuing to pull the trigger once empty several times. if it is just one threat, sure 9 rounds is enough to account for misses (because odds are your first few shots will miss)...and then subsequent misses again from recoil getting the better of you. odds are of those 9 rounds you will probably only land 2-4 hits on target. a 9mm, average of 15 rounds per mag, increases your probable hits when dealing with multiple targets (example, drawing, sending 3-5 rounds at target a, then sending 3-5 at target b, and still having 5 or so more for either another target or to deal with either a or b not being neutralized)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I will trade the limited capacity for the shootability of the 1911. I have absolutely no stats on SD shootings, but I'm guessing most involve one aggressor, not multiple BG's. So in my mind 9 or 10 seems adequate.

But the logic of having as many as possible can make sense. But only having 9 or 10 is not a reason to not carry a 1911 IMO.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I will trade the limited capacity for the shootability of the 1911. I have absolutely no stats on SD shootings, but I'm guessing most involve one aggressor, not multiple BG's. So in my mind 9 or 10 seems adequate.

But the logic of having as many as possible can make sense. But only having 9 or 10 is not a reason to not carry a 1911 IMO.

thats really subjective though...im not saying that a 1911 is a bad choice or anything, whatever someone is comfortable with carrying is a-o-k in my book. im just saying that there is a trade off with everything, and one should be fully aware of these when making their decision. i would carry a 1911 one day, and a sig 226 the next and never feel under prepared our uneasy about either.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I have a s&w 629 3" talo edition that I just bought that I can pick up Monday and after my bank account recovers from that, my next purchase will likely be a 1911 either that or a single action revolver in 45 colt like the vaquero birds head grip. Depending on price and availability. The problem with guns is they're like drugs! The shopping list never ends!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Man, people just love to bag on Saive... I think folks forget that he designed the FN FAL, probably the most widely-used battle rifle of all time.

The things you can do to a 1911's trigger are what make it special. The rest of the gun is nothing terribly special anymore.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Hell, I'll even offer that the 1911 may not be Browning's best design. His BEST design is in my opinion the M-2 heavy machine gun. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom