• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I def love the looks of the 1911, what makes it "the unequivocal gun to own". It seems that if you're a gun fan, you must own a 1911 but what makes them more special than any other pistol or revolver? Then there's the problem of how do you pick one to own with every gun maker in the world making their copy and then each gun maker has 14 different models within its line as well?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I def love the looks of the 1911, what makes it "the unequivocal gun to own". It seems that if you're a gun fan, you must own a 1911 but what makes them more special than any other pistol or revolver? Then there's the problem of how do you pick one to own with every gun maker in the world making their copy and then each gun maker has 14 different models within its line as well?

I take it you've never shot one? ;)

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    It's not just one thing, but a few.

1. The single action trigger is hard to beat.

2. It's a true historic American firearm. Showed up in every major conflict for the past 100 years.

3. Just look at it.

4. It shoots best caliber of real men. :innocent0

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    God spoke to John Moses Browning, and He instructed him to build the perfect hand gun. So he did, and it was very good.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I had one it shot nice but not really any more fun to shoot than my CZ75. It was not a cheapo that I had either it was a Colt 1991A1. I plan on getting another sometime but I really want a Sig 1911.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    First of all, pick it up and it will melt to fit your hand. The 1911 is just plain sex. Secondly shoot it, and if tuned right it is unbelievable. There are not very many handguns that the design is still around after 100 years.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    but what makes them more special than any other pistol or revolver?

History. Colt's SAA and a few other revolvers are there with history, but the SAA isn't still carried by soldiers, LEOs and civilians to save their a$$es. The 1911 family is. What has become the S&W Model 10, has some history, but it doesn't have the military lore that the 1911 has.

Will Gaston Glock's guns still be wanted in 70 + years? I do not know. I don't own a Glock but I do own a S&W M&P and to me it doesn't have the same mystique as the 1911. The M&P is more just a tool. I see the same with the Glocks.

If you are new to the 1911 family, do not buy anything but a 5" gun. It should serve you well if you feed it good ammo and use good mags.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    God spoke to John Moses Browning, and He instructed him to build the perfect hand gun. So he did, and it was very good.

Quoted for truth. :thumbsup:

It was so good, God requested an encore, and JMB produced the Hi-Power - and then a frenchman f@cked it all up by installing a damned magazine disconnect. :mad54: (Thankfully it's relatively easily removed.)

View attachment 59284

'nuff said. :D

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    there is no carbon fouling on a 1911, only red white and blue fouling. after each shot you can FAINTLY hear the anthem. its in my opinion, the most American weapon besides the M1 and SAA. (even though Garand was Canadian born). 1911s are really fun to shoot, and can be learned rather quickly. not really anything difficult about shooting them, and there are alot of different flavors.

It was so good, God requested an encore, and JMB produced the Hi-Power - and then a frenchman f@cked it all up by installing a damned magazine disconnect. :mad54: (Thankfully it's relatively easily removed.)

View attachment 59284

He wasn't a Frenchman, he was Belgian. And the mag disconnect wasn't his idea, it was part of a French military RFP. And he happened to be the genius that invented the double-stack magazine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Point taken - Saive was Belgian and not responsible for the M/D in the BHP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1911s are OK . Real 1911s are steel framed 5in .45acps , just ask Chad. The feels like sex in your hand all depends on hiw the gun is set up , and your hand. My 1920s Commercial Gov't Mdl felt kinda meh . Until I held the Father in Law's Essex based gun with flat housing , long trigger , and full Beavertail. Then the lightbulb went on.

While the 1911 is AN icon , there are other iconic pistols that predate it. SAA , K frame , N frame , Colt Army Spl (later renaamed Ofc Police) , Colt Police Positive , Baby Browning , Luger , Broomhandle Mauser, etc

And the US Mil used a whole buncha S&W and Colt .38 revolvers. Including above FIL using his S&W multiple occasions during WWII .

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

View attachment 59284

Of course the French/Belgians( Really what's the difference) screwed it up and they named it in true French/Belgian fashion after a gaping body part!

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I didn't get it either until I actually held one...didn't take long to buy one after that. I may try to find one in 9mm so I can afford to shoot it a lot more often.

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    "And on the 8th Day John Browing created the 1911."

I don't believe the 1911 is "better" than Glocks or any other good auto pistols out there. A gun is what you make it.
    For me though, I love the classic, retro looks of an M1911A1 style pistol. And I love how it's ALL steel. It just feels good, looks, good, and works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom