What Is This Revolver and What Ammo Does It Shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontallo

Crotchety Old Guy Who Owns Too Many Guns
    Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    Friends,

I inherited a revolver from my uncle and do not know what it is or what round it shoots.
    It is double action and the wheel appears to have similar dimensions to my .44 Magnum. But it is labeled as a Colt Army.

Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg

Last edited:

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    This looks to have a Numrich conversion barrel from the 1950-1960's. It could be 45 Colt, 45 Acp 357 Magnum. Youl will have to measure the bore easiest way is to show the opened cylinder.

dontallo

Crotchety Old Guy Who Owns Too Many Guns
    Feb 13, 2020
    Sarver, PA 16055
    This looks to have a Numrich conversion barrel from the 1950-1960's. It could be 45 Colt, 45 Acp 357 Magnum. Youl will have to measure the bore easiest way is to show the opened cylinder.
    Thanks. I added photos of the open cylinder to the original post.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Originally, it was a M1917 in .45acp , as Smokey linked .

I have a suspicion 38Suoer is Half Right .

Indeed in the 1920s- 1950s , it was not uncommon to modify them for caliber changes.

But I'm suspecting the Barell is either original, or replacement of same as original.

Eyeballing the headspace , I suspect it was the Cylinder that was changed, and gun was converted to .45 Colt .

( .45 Colt was a Factory caliber for the New Service . But I would suspect the replacement Cylinder was a different caliber , subsequently bored out . Either by a Parts House , or by a gunsmith .)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Added after the open cylinder pics were added .

Definitely NOT .45acp chambers. Looks consistent with my above guess of .45 Colt .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It’s been converted to something. The cylinder doesn’t look original to an M1917. The crossed pennants look to be for a British Empire contract gun, which was in .455.

Which definitely fits , and would be historically correct !

Surplus parts from British/ Canadian contract guns , reimported to US . .455 cylinders could be easily converted to the popular. 45 Colt just by rechambering .

( Yeah today Colt and Martial Arms collectors are rolling in their gravid at the loss of original M1917 and .455s in original condition. But back they , they were inexpensive shooters , and a demand for DA .45 Colts .)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of course check it for proper headspace and timing, etc ( including from subsequent use ).

But if everything checks out , it should be as solid as a New Service originally made in .45 Colt . And a good shooter , without bothering your conscience about using a valuable original.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It’s been converted to something. The cylinder doesn’t look original to an M1917. The crossed pennants look to be for a British Empire contract gun, which was in .455. It may well have been a .455 cylinder reamed to .45 Colt.

I ran into one of those at the last Bel Air gun show I went to (several years ago.) I thought it was a very cool gun but they wanted a lot for it and I had other items on my shopping list.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not a New Service. But one from these eras haunts me as one that got away.

An early Canadian Contract S&W Tripple Lock ( early with commercial blue and nice wood) , with an authentic 1920s conversion to .45 Colt . ( Yes , S&W collectors obsess over who did the conversion when and how . This was the most desirable one .)

Price was good for what it was at the time , but just couldn't swing it then .

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah today Colt and Martial Arms collectors are rolling in their gravid at the loss of original M1917 and .455s in original condition. But back they , they were inexpensive shooters , and a demand for DA .45 Colts .
    My wife's grandfather bought a surplus M1903 Smith Corona and chopped the fore end on the stock to make it into a hunting rifle. (I was told he had to warm it up in the oven to get the cosmoline off of it). Although he did a very nice job, he ruined the collector value. Apparently in the 70's that's what you did to C&R rifles to make them "cool".

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    My wife's grandfather bought a surplus M1903 Smith Corona and chopped the fore end on the stock to make it into a hunting rifle. (I was told he had to warm it up in the oven to get the cosmoline off of it). Although he did a very nice job, he ruined the collector value. Apparently in the 70's that's what you did to C&R rifles to make them "cool".
    Somewhere around here I have a book from that era showing many wars to ruin, I mean sporterize surplus military rifes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom