• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsurferdude2

Dec 25, 2008
    After reading around here, you guys have been ever so convincing when it comes to reloading.

I have pondered over the idea for awhile and now that I have a bit of cash saved up, is it a good time to start with this?

I got an M1 Carbine last year and have only put about 100rds through it because it is tough to find ammo. The ammo that I do find is some outrageous amount like $35 for 50rds of Wolf.

Starting out, I would like to stick to just .30 carbine. From what I have read, it is simple to reload because it has a cylindrical shell like most pistol ammo. I hope to move on to .357mag, .38spl, .45acp if I find reloading as easy as you all say it is.

I will not be popping out 1000s and 1000s of rounds but 100 here and there is what I am looking at.

Now that it is time to jump in the pool and get wet, how do I start out?

Also let me state, I know next to nothing about reloading.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    The first thing you need to do is read a lot. There are a few good reloading manuals around that you will want to look into. Probably Speer or if you are inclined the Ackley books.
    After you have read the process and how it should work, find someone who reloads and ask them to show it how he is doing the reloading process. Alternatively you could also look for one of the metallic reloading courses (NRA offers them afaik).

Then you start making a list of what you need, not before. It might look like:
    Press,
    dies
    shellholder
    powder dispenser/scale/tickler etc..
    case trimmer
    tumbler/sonic cleaner etc for case preparation
    deburrer, flash hole cleaner other tools
    A LOT OF RELOADING DATA SOURCEBOOKS

then:
    cases, powder, primer, bullet,

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    ...What boule said.

Read, learn, understand and prepare before you begin to reload first and foremost.

I don't have a .30 carbine so I've never loaded that particular case. But it should be a straight forward process. The case is almost straight walled with no shoulder.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine

If you plan on loading .357, .38 spl or .45acp in the future (which are basically very simple straight walled cases) you'll learn from your .30 carbine experiences, - or visa versa.

Do research on the basics of reloading. Get a good reloading book and read it. Then decide on what equipment you really need to start out with that will suit your requirements.

Many may disagree with me, but I'm still a fan of basic Lee Anniversary single stage reloading kits for beginners. That way beginners learn each step - from sizing and de-capping cases to bullet seating and crimping - one step at a time. The equipment isn't top end by any means. But along with a set of Lee dies a beginner can easily produce reliable and safe ammo. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081

Reloading can become a passion. Many years ago it did for me.

Good luck and let us all know how we may help.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    If you're only going to do 100 here or there, the single stage kit J8064 suggested will do fine. Most any single stage kit with a scale, powder measure and info will do the trick.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thread from the dead

How hard is .30 carbine to load and how bad are the components to find? I hope to start reloading soon and 90% of my other work wouldbe straight walled revolver rounds. A very experienced reloader will be helping me get started. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth violating my policy of "no new calibers".

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thread from the dead

How hard is .30 carbine to load and how bad are the components to find? I hope to start reloading soon and 90% of my other work wouldbe straight walled revolver rounds. A very experienced reloader will be helping me get started. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth violating my policy of "no new calibers".

Components are easy to find in non-panic buying times. I used Win 296 for powder.

.30 carbine headspaces on the crimp so you have to taper crimp it. Since it is nearly a straight walled case you can get carbide dies so you can skip the lube/unlube step. Other than that you have the extra step of belling the case as with straight walled pistol cases.

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    30 carbine

It is a good choice for reloading. Ammo is pricey,so that adds encouragement !
    Have found from past experience that a little lube helps in sizing process even when using carbide dies.
    Some guys use lead bullets w/ gas checks. When you can find them the SPEER 100 gr PLINKER bullet is a great choice for the carbine.
    Have used IMR 4227 for most loads,commercial loaders like the Winchester ball powders.
    Watch the Overall Case Length and OAL of loaded round.
    It head spaces on the case mouth,so a Taper Crip is required. Have used a seperate crimp die for this operation.
    Best to work up a load that provides postitive ejection but does not beat the carbine severly. Know a fellow who loaded some HOT Carbine ammo and broke the Op Rod.

Might load some up this winter for the Carbine and a Ruger revolver.
    The revolver is a BLAST to shoot :)

www.bulletmen.com

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I have been loading it starting in 1962,Plenty of stuff available, i just got 1k Bullets from Wideners.Read some info before getting started.There are also venders who sell loaded ammo for a lot less than you spoke of and it's not WOLF!

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    My brother in law just brought up his m1 carbine. I had close to 1000 Nevada hard cast bullets, 1 lube groove, pre-lubed and sized to .310, no gas checks. I found about 100 cases I had lying around, did some research and went out and bought a pound of H110. Using a single stage lee press, deprimed and sized 100 cases, primed with CCI small rifle primers using a lee hand primer. Started with 13.0 gr of H110, would fire, but not cycle. Jumped it up to 13.6 gr, cycled like a champ. No leading evident with that amount of rounds. Not enough time to reload various amounts and test, but with a 15 gr max, we'll have fun the next time he's up. Hardest part is measuring out each load, as I am using a scoop, electronic scale, and a trickler. But I could probably crank out 100 rounds an hour easily with this method.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    My brother in law just brought up his m1 carbine. I had close to 1000 Nevada hard cast bullets, 1 lube groove, pre-lubed and sized to .310, no gas checks. I found about 100 cases I had lying around, did some research and went out and bought a pound of H110. Using a single stage lee press, deprimed and sized 100 cases, primed with CCI small rifle primers using a lee hand primer. Started with 13.0 gr of H110, would fire, but not cycle. Jumped it up to 13.6 gr, cycled like a champ. No leading evident with that amount of rounds. Not enough time to reload various amounts and test, but with a 15 gr max, we'll have fun the next time he's up. Hardest part is measuring out each load, as I am using a scoop, electronic scale, and a trickler. But I could probably crank out 100 rounds an hour easily with this method.

single stage still a little slow. for $110 get a lee classic turret kit. just about all you need.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/622290/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-value-kit

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Holy old thread resurrected. When I first put my 2 cents in I didn't have a 30 carbine. I picked one up not too long after. I've loaded a lot of 30 carbine rounds since.

The Lee 309/120 RN mold throws nice boolits. Sized to .309 w/ G/C's and Alox they shoot as well as FMJ's or plated 110 gr pills in my Winchester.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...9-diameter-120-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check

Berry's plated 110 gr RN also run great. 2400 is an excellant propellant w/ SR primers for both cast and plated.

As has been said, 1) check case OAL and trim accordingly. The cases will grow over time. And 2) the round headspaces on the MOUTH (I knew than & fixed by bad before anyone caught it :innocent0) so do not roll crimp - a taper crimp is what you need. The Lee factory crimp dies works well: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222864/lee-factory-crimp-die-30-carbine.

My M1 carbine loves every reload it's fed. It's a mild shooting rifle. Just don't ask Buff7mm his opinion of my reloads - he shoots left-handed and the cases bounce off his forehead. :innocent0

Last edited:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Holy old thread resurrected. When I first put my 2 cents in I didn't have a 30 carbine. I picked one up not too long after. I've loaded a lot of 30 carbine rounds since.

The Lee 309/120 RN mold throws nice boolits. Sized to .309 w/ G/C's and Alox they shoot as well as FMJ's or plated 110 gr pills in my Winchester.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...9-diameter-120-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check

Berry's plated 110 gr RN also run great. 2400 is an excellant propellant w/ SR primers for both cast and plated.

As has been said, 1) check case OAL and trim accordingly. The cases wiil grow over time. And 2) the round headpaces on the rim so do not roll crimp - a taper crimp is what you need. The Lee factory crimp dies works well: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222864/lee-factory-crimp-die-30-carbine.

My M1 carbine loves every reload it's fed. It's a mild shooting rifle. Just don't ask Buff7mm his opinion of my reloads - he shoots left-handed and the cases bounce off his forehead. :innocent0

You also forgot to mention what a 30 Carbine with cast bullets did "Bubba" the steel spinner ... :innocent0

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Now all I need is someone that wants to buy my S&W 617 and I can get a carbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom