• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Keep at it OP! You show me someone who tells you that shooting a handgun accurately is easy, and I'll show you someone who has never spent any time behind one.

Sounds like you're doing well. Have fun with it!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming you are :1.a new shooter and 2. Have an intrest in learning to shoot accurately :

Get together with an Instructor , or skilled shooter with experience in teaching new shooters. Have them work with you regarding : grip , trigger control, stance, and sight alignment ( in that order of importance and sequence).. Practice the fundamentals. 98% of "advanced" shooting is fundamentals done well. Aim small miss small. Under stress expect your group size to double.

For aiming points reasonably relevent to SD : A Zone , 9 +3 10 ring on a B-27 , sheet of typing paper, sheet of typing paper folded in half , 4x6 index card , 3x5 index card , paper plate , etc .

As you gain proficency gradually do one or more of : increase distance , faster pace, smaller aiming point.

For reference for the gun's isolated capability with human factors minimized , expect a service grade , service size semiauto to be able to group 5 shot at 25yd into 3-4in with loads that it "likes" ..

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Just started shooting and with a Glock 19. I am very new so excuse my ignorance. I try to aim for the center of a typical target and usually hit around the "x". If I'm lucky ill squeeze one or two in there from about 12 feet away. What is considered "good" accuracy? Is it just landing all of your bullets directly in the white center or is there room for error.

Your question is TOTALLY relevant to YOUR OWN desires. :cool:

That's the easy answer to a difficult question. :D "accuracy" is a totally subjective term as it relates to shooting. I've judged 50 yd. .22RF matches where the top ten scores (all "perfect" 250's) were separated only by the X count. Conversely, many deer hunters are perfectly satisfied with minute of paper plate accuracy @ 100 yds.

Assuming your goal is perfection (10X), there are many things that influence handgun accuracy and only some of them are gun related. :innocent0
    Work on your form, grip, consistent sight picture, and the much over-looked arm and hand strength and THEN and only then you can start blaming your gun & ammo for deficiencies. ;) Incidentally, or perhaps conveniently, the above can be worked on at home or the gym without even having a gun present!

Welcome to the fold. The shooting sports are a rewarding diversion. A 'hobby" that has the potential to feed you and save your life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom