• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    forgive my ignorance, but i have seen thread titles for 3man 3gun from the competitive area.

question is.... what is it?? aslo if i were so inclined is there an ameture way to get into it? with the new year i'd like to try to get into some sort of shooting hobby.

john

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    great videos, but i'm still pretty confused. so there are three person teams, but is there a designated pistol person, rifle person, and shotgun person?? it seemed in some the one fella only shot the grande, but in others everyone is shooting pistol.

also the targets were all right in a row in the same area in the one video and in some others looked to be setup like a kill house type setup.

is there a standard run down or do they differ place to place/competition to competition/round to round?

john

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there is 3 gun and also multi-gun. with these you generally use between 2 and 3 guns on each stage (so, pistol, rifle, shotgun).

then york (and perhaps others) have a 3 man 3 gun, which is the same thing but you compete with two other buddies. on some stages team member 1 shoots then #2 and then #3. on some stages all three in the team shoot simultaneously (in this competition, one stage has some 40 colored drink bottles and all three guys are simultaneously blasting them, way fun).

most if not all stages have movement, either side to side or advancing from the starting line. normally a mix of paper targets and also steel targets and clay pigeons.

3gun is a super fun event, a way to get to use all your guns.

reading thru the Competition thread here will alert you to upcoming events. and read thru the old threads to get insight into what has already transpired.

come out to the YOrk event tomorrow to spectate, you won't be disappointed.

also look for uspsa and idpa events. same concept, running and gunning, but pistol only.

all these are much more fun than just shooting at paper targets from behind a bench.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    to get started in any of these, either come as a spectator and ask questions, or show up with your gun(s). keep your guns cased or in the car until you speak with one of the check-in folks, let them know you're brand new, and they will take care of you. i just started doing this two years ago and everyone very helpful and informative. again read thru this Competition section to get an idea of what guns and gear you need.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    thanks everyone! too bad i'm busy tomorrow, but i will have to come check one of these out! then i'll need to assemble a team!(may need to make more friends haha)

john

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    there is 3 gun and also multi-gun. with these you generally use between 2 and 3 guns on each stage (so, pistol, rifle, shotgun).

then york (and perhaps others) have a 3 man 3 gun...

York is the originators, others are imitators!

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    If you're interested in some formal instruction Peacemaker National has a multigun/3-gun course available.

From https://peacemakernational.com/Member_Training.html

(3G 101) Introduction Multi-gun/ 3- Gun

Eight (8) hours of instruction with 1-5 students. Students will begin by learning proper gun safety, basic competition techniques and gear setups. Rules and scoring methods for multigun competitions will be covered, as well. This course will also teach basic starting positions, mounts and target acquisitions for each firearm, techniques for shooting each firearm and techniques for transitioning to and from each firearm type. Reloading for each firearm will be taught, as well as movement and shooting from positions. Students will complete the course by shooting an actual course of fire, similar as to what they would encounter in a competition. Students will shoot actual targets they would encounter in a multigun competition, both steel, clay birds, paper targets, etc.

Students should bring their own safe and serviceable handgun, either revolver or pistol, in a caliber of 9mm/.38 Special or larger, at least two extra magazines or speedloaders and belt pouches for the same, holster and sturdy belt. Also, an AR-15 style rifle with two extra magazines and a pump or semi-automatic shotgun. 100 rounds of handgun ammunition, 100 rounds .223 rifle ammunition, 100 rounds shotshells (#6 or smaller) and 10 shotgun slugs will be required per student. . Eye and ear protection is required. Students will take a brief evaluation at the end of each course.

Students should provide their own firearms, however, the club has rifles, FN semi Auto shotguns, and premium pistols for rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom