What fixed blade knife would you buy as a future heirloom to your Son???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    This .

Get a MKII (KABAR) I personally would check ebay for one made by Camillus . Which ever maker you choose get one with a parkerized blade not the baked enamel .

Don't count out the Buck 119 though it is a great knife , I carried one for years .

Answer your damn texts!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Whoa - I thought my choices were complicated before! I may just have to get one of each of these, as they all look like nice choices. On the dude who mentioned the Benchmade. I actually have 2 sons, and I've already decided the younger one will be getting my EDC - Benchmade Mini-Barrage, so I'm definitely partial to that brand. Duly noted on the finish choices if I go the KABAR route. How do I tell the differences in finishes? Only by choosing MKII's? I have heard that the baked enamel ones lose their finish if you do stuff like chopping or splitting of branches... I have a Buck 119 on the list for the tackle box, but wanted something a bit nicer for a camp knife. Maybe then each son will get a fixed blade, so they don't fight - oh wait, their brothers. :innocent0 Truly appreciate all the suggestions folks! --JB

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    There are many talented folks out there making their own knives. I'd see how much a custom would cost.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    My DAUGHTER ;), is getting my Gerber MKII that is about 30 years old right now that I had as a kid.

I feel you,,, We have been unpacking all of my shop the last week or so and my 14 yr old son has found my foot locker and is dieing for permission to go through all of my personals from the service. Inside he will find my Gerber MK II ( dated 75 ) that my dad gave me on Graduation Day and the Randell # 1 that I bought myself. Maybe this weekend I will give him the combo.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I'd up my budget, and get a custom knife from a quality maker. When you talk heirloom, that should be a big deal.

that or Kabar, or Ontario.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd up my budget, and get a custom knife from a quality maker. When you talk heirloom, that should be a big deal.

that or Kabar, or Ontario.

I admit that I was thinking about your Bowie Knife when I typed that...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Whatever you get, you may want to go with one made from 1095 carbon steel...you can get great 1095 knives from a variety of makers and at a great price. It will favor toughness over edge retention, but for a survival knife, toughness is far more important than retention. You may also find that a custom sheath down the road is something that speaks more to the user than the mass-produced sheath.

Ontario also makes some really nice models in high carbon steels.
    http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Ontario-Fixed--419

If the price goes up a little, ZT's fixed blade is a possibility
    http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-ZT0121-Tolerance-Fixed-Blade/dp/B0014DYKN0

...if you look for used, you can find ZT's CPM-3V for around the price. 3V is probably the best knife steel to be used on a production folder to date. And the entire package is great...if you are looking for a knife that is going to be used for things like survival/bushcraft in which the knife is essentially a tool for anything from cutting to chopping to digging to prying to chiseling, this is one of the finest on the market and it's made for abuse. 3V is neat in that it gives incredible toughness with incredible edge retention but it is still easy to sharpen. Many look at it as the ideal steel for larger fixed blades.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tolerance-Mil...27&sr=1-2&keywords=Zero+Tolerance+Fixed+Blade

You may also be able to find some of the CRK fixed blades like the Green Beret which is S35VN stainless steel and it has quickly become my favorite for how easy it is to work with.

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    I pretty much stopped using the rest of my fixed blades after I got my Benchmade Adamas 375. I like the strength of the one solid piece design and I like the tough but not fancy D2 steel. It is pretty comfortable once you wrap the handle in 550 cord and if you look around you can find it right at your max price.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OK, curse(thank) you whoever first turned me onto Blade HQ on here! :party29:

I have a Damascus Folder that was made in Turkey, and that got me thinkin I should start lookin for a Damascus(or pattern welded) fixed blade.

I know getting a KaBar (Navy Camillus or Ontario version), or even Buck special edition might be nice, but I'm always lookin for something "different."

So, these damascus style blades have my eye as of right now:

Kinda Modern Retro Kukri:
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kanetsune-Knives-Asobi--3044

Izumi Ichiago Hunting Knife:
    http://www.amazon.com/Damascus-hunt...74891&sr=1-23&keywords=damascus+hunting+knife

and anyone heard of Perkin Knives? Stumbled upon these on Amazon while lookin:

Perkin Hunting Knife:
    http://www.amazon.com/Handcrafted-D...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1373572440&sr=1-6

Crazy Perkin Hunting Machete (Clever?)
    http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Damascus-Hunting-Knife-Machete/dp/B008RL5S9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Crazy affordable(cheap?) for what you seem to get...

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Lot of good suggestions, Esee 4,5,or 6, Beckers, Kabars, but they're kinda common. I also like the Buck 119 in cocobolo. Hit the gun and knife show coming to the Howard County fairgrounds.

If you're looking for Damascus blades watch out for the etched ones at real prices.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I pretty much stopped using the rest of my fixed blades after I got my Benchmade Adamas 375. I like the strength of the one solid piece design and I like the tough but not fancy D2 steel. It is pretty comfortable once you wrap the handle in 550 cord and if you look around you can find it right at your max price.

I like the Adamas as a smaller FB replacement in addition to a few Spyderco, ZT, Strider, and Chris Reeve folders given the practicality gain and how you can use them/carry them a lot more...but if the OP is looking for a FB in the 5-9 inch range blade size capable of bushcraft/survival stuff, only a tough FB is going to do and money goes a lot further on a FB than folder. You can get good 5-7 inch blade fixed blades in 1095 steel for under $50, and good 1095 steel gives many of the more expensive steels a good run for their money.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Honestly,
    I'd buy knives as you need/want them and use them. Used items with history/personal stories are always better to hand down, no matter the price or quality of the item. Some wear, scars and grime from adventures always add "value" to the recipient.

I have to admit, growing up without a dad or granddad, I am envious of those who mention stories about handed down firearms or other items. I love hearing the stories and hope that those who have the fortune of having a grandpop or dad that is willing to share their life stories, soaks it in and appreciates it.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Yeah, I actually struggle with that thought too. Buying used - "if that knife could talk..." or buying new and making my own memories with the blades and my kids. My own Pops at 81 and dying of Myeloma has a Balisong and a Camillus Boatswains Knife, waiting for me at his "changing of the guard..." - We're both Filipino and former Sailors - he US Coast Guard, and me Navy, so, it'll be special... I most def want to continue the tradition with my own 2 Sons...

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Yeah, I actually struggle with that thought too. Buying used - "if that knife could talk..." or buying new and making my own memories with the blades and my kids. My own Pops at 81 and dying of Myeloma has a Balisong and a Camillus Boatswains Knife, waiting for me at his "changing of the guard..." - We're both Filipino and former Sailors - he US Coast Guard, and me Navy, so, it'll be special... I most def want to continue the tradition with my own 2 Sons...

I wasn't suggesting you buy used, but just buy what you want. Anything you use and have will be looked at like a piece of history buy your kids in 20-30 years.

I know I have ordinary mulit-tools, knives and gadgets and my son thinks they are the coolest things when I show them to him and tell him they will be his someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom