What fixed blade knife would you buy as a future heirloom to your Son???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I'm looking for a knife that may be contemporary today, but will stand the test of time for form, function, and perhaps future value. I'd like to get something with a leather sheath, that can be used as a camping, fishing, and maybe survival knife... I'm looking to spend up to $125 max.

So, given the above requirements, what would you buy today, that you would be proud to pass along to your Son, years from now...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! --JB

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well the $125 limit leaves out anything made by the late Bill Moran, if you are thinking about future value. Camping, fishing, and survival knives tend to be totally different. KABAR is a fighting knife and a straight edge is useless for skinning or fishing at a minimum, and millions were made so future value would not increase by much.

Look for something like this, although these are his designs, he does not make them as they are mass produced. That does not stop them from being good practical designs.

http://www.budk.com/product/Gil-Hibben-Alaskan-Survival-Knife-with-Sheath/156972.uts

I would recommend anything by Randall but they do not produce anything these days below $300.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I would recommend you buy a knife and then buy an aftermarket leather sheath. You can buy leather sheaths from dedicated craftsmen to fit almost any knife, which I think is better because it lets the knife maker focus on buildng a great knife and the sheath maker focus on building a good sheath.

I've got an ESEE-6 from Randall Adventure Training and it's a great knife. I would recommend anything from Randall for camping/survival, but probably not for fishing since everything is carbon steel (not stainless). I've used mine for processing firewood (survival/camping) and it's no worse for wear, plus it sharpens back up quickly. ESEE-4 on Amazon ($125)

Or you can buy a Mora for under 16 bucks and it will probably last you your lifetime, too. Mora on Amazon ($16)

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Ha - well interesting... I myself was thinking KaBar, but didn't want to influence any responses... My other thoughts were on a vintage Camillus or Ontario US GI Pilots survival knife. Had one back in my Navy days, and regret trading it. Thanks for your thoughts guys! --JB

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    $125 kind of limits you. My first suggestions would have been for a Randall 1-7 - that's the classic fixed blade Bowie style, and it's a classic design - it's been around for decades, but it's still contemporary. Another knife in that same category is the Cold Steel Military Classic, which is pretty much modeled directly after the Randall. Unfortunately both of those knives, while heirloom quality, are well outside of the $125 scope.

A knife company that I believe sells some awesome knives that might be in your price range would be Blind Horse Knives out of Wintersville, Ohio. This is their July special - at $115 it would work for your budget:

http://blindhorseknives.com/july13.htm

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Uh, OK, care to share makes knives on here? I'll be checking out all the options mentioned btw. Duly noted the mention of having a leatherman just make me a sheath - thinking about that too...

I may be willing to up the budget for something custom. Hopefully not so nice that I won't want to use it though.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A1 had some kabars in the case on Monday. It's a knife that every American male should have one of.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Bark River makes some Awesome knives that fit your specs. Used are even a better value. There's a fella who quit making knives some time ago but they show up from time to time...Daniel Krohn. His stuff rocks. Similarly, Martin Knives of Texas can be had for a great deal from time to time. They're rock solid too. if you old find a used Coye, they're awesome...tend to have Kydex heaths though. Also keep your eyes open for a Martin Olexey Blade (MOB) used as well. Randalls are in a whole nother class...mui expensive. Good luck. Lots a fun looking.

May 13, 2005
    A Grayman Knife. Any of the Ground Pounder, Warrior, Kordofan or Defender models will serve you and your clan well for centuries. A little above your budget, but not too much ($190-290) well OK, it's double your budget lol. If you want a family pass-down, don't skimp tho. I have a few and have given a few to family as well.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    A full-size KABAR straight edge. It fits your requirements, has a leather sheath and, well, it's a damn classic.

This .

Get a MKII (KABAR) I personally would check ebay for one made by Camillus . Which ever maker you choose get one with a parkerized blade not the baked enamel .

Don't count out the Buck 119 though it is a great knife , I carried one for years .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom