• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I know nothing about the FAL, but I'd like to pick one up in the next few months (in case I can't this time next year). There seem to be so many importers, builders, variants, etc., I'm not sure where to start. What should I be looking for? It doesn't need to be a collector piece or a top shelf custom shooter, just a more standard/middle-of-the-road example (if such a thing exists).

So who makes a decent FAL?

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you can find a SAR-48 which was sold by Springfield Armory back in the '80s you'll be very happy with one. They were made under license by Imbel in Brazil and imported by Springfield Armory. Imbel had a reparation for making rifles as good or even better than FN did. Mine is great but they're no longer legal to transfer within MD but you should be OK in VA...for the time being anyway. I would stay away from any clone from Century Arms. A friend bought one some years ago and when he wiped it down after purchasing it the finish (paint) came off. To say he was pissed is an understatement.
    SAR-48.jpg

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    If you can find a SAR-48 which was sold by Springfield Armory back in the '80s you'll be very happy with one. They were made under license by Imbel in Brazil and imported by Springfield Armory. Imbel had a reparation for making rifles as good or even better than FN did. Mine is great but they're no longer legal to transfer within MD but you should be OK in VA...for the time being anyway. I would stay away from any clone from Century Arms. A friend bought one some years ago and when he wiped it down after purchasing it the finish (paint) came off. To say he was pissed is an understatement.
    SAR-48.jpg

Thanks, so are the Imbel guns based on parts kits from somewhere else or do they roll their own?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    DS Arms SA58 series. Lots of accessories as well.

Don't know what their stock will be due to the panic.

Q

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The receiver is everything - Imbel gear logo is the bee's knees.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Of course, the gold standard is an FN Belgian made one.

But be sitting down when you price them.

Be leary of the Century. I think there were a couple of other receivers that caused problems. The FAL files is a great forum for all things FAL.
    I have a couple of DSAs that have been decent. Reportedly their quality is up and down... likewise the magazines they make.
    I also have one from an Argy parts kit that came out really well.
    Of course they all fell into the Chesapeake during a horrible boating accident, and I’ve moved out of state since.

Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    What FAL for a non-FAL enthusiast?

Here was my answer.

I like the Belgian made FN-FAL rifles but not a fan of black plastic guns.

Browning BAR MKIII DBM - takes FN Mags. Belgian made and essentially an FN FAL action.

Attachments

• Vortex on BAR - Nov 2020.jpg
      Vortex on BAR - Nov 2020.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 307

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Imbel is actually one of the prime defense contractors in Argentina , and also made them for export millitary sales .

DSA makes everything in house , to the specs of the Austrian Stg 58 , and uses tooling purchased from Styer .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Imbel is actually one of the prime defense contractors in Argentina , and also made them for export millitary sales .

DSA makes everything in house , to the specs of the Austrian Stg 58 , and uses tooling purchased from Styer .

I put FMAP up there as well. The FMAP Rosario Mk.IVs that they made for export as semi-only arms just before the Clinton ban hit were/are fantastic. If you can grab a FMAP parts kit and slap it on a Coonan Argie-Cut receiver, you've got one hell of a rifle.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    another 1 to stay away from is Century arms. I have a original FN Belgium made 50.00 match. and a DS Para. both shoot very nice !

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I had one of those horrible, crappy Century FAL's that everyone says run the other way from. I liked mine and hadn't had any issues with it, the finish, the function, no problems whatsoever. I also had a Century AK that everyone similarly swore would fall apart in my hands and suck worse nut than a $10 hooker. Guess what? It must depend upon specific examples or something more complex that a recycled blanket statement because other than having kind of entry-level inexpensive black synthetic furniture, I am perfectly happy with both of my CAI's and would again pay what I paid for what I received vs. paying twice or 3x as much for basically a stock upgrade. I had considered upgrading the furniture on my FAL and AK to nice Ironwood or Timberline wood stocks but it would've cost me 50% again the cost of the whole functioning rifle. Eff that. I'd rather spend the $300 on another nu-2-me C&R pistol.

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    another 1 to stay away from is Century arms.

Not necessarily true. A LOT of Century FALs were built on Imbel Receivers. Some were built on Hesse, some were built on some other casting company receivers. The #1 factor in determining whether to go with a Century FAL is the feed ramp. "Unibrow" feed ramps *can* work (mine does) but they don't work for everyone, and are VERY picky about what mags you us. The "widow's peak" feed ramps are 100% GTG (two small feed ramps with a peak in the middle vs one big one). Usually anything above the 32XXX serial number range is GTG regardless of the manufacturer of the receiver.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore

Actually Itajuba is in Brazil.
    They do make excellent FALs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom